2015 Round Rock Pepper Grow

This is only my second post (first was in the intro forum if you want more info on me lol) so take it easy on me. Compared to some of the threads I've been reading my grow is small but still a lot of fun :). I hope to learn a lot from the veteran growers here!

4/15/15 update

This years pepper plants just arrived....all the way from New Jersey lol. In case your keeping count:

7 pot habanero
Jamaican Red habanero
Reginas red hot habaneros
Trinidad scorpion
Habanero Reds
Sun Sugar FT Hybrid tomato plant

Going to plant 3 into one of these, VegTrug, to see if they grow any bigger.

6/14/15 update

Well here they are up to this point...strong growth from all of the. With the ones in the elevated bed doing the best. Maybe it was the soil? I used ladybug organic soil and added a ton of pearlite so the soil would stay loose and drain as this was my first year growing in it I wasn't sure what would work best. Blooms on most of the peppers and a few small cherry tomatoes growing.

Left to right... Habana jamacian red.....Trinidad scorpion.....Reginas red hots

image.jpg3_zpsgnjoplp8.jpg
[/URL

7 pot bubblegum.......jamacian red chili

image.jpg2_zpscqomcj5m.jpg

The lone sunsugar hybrid tomato plant

7/5/15 update

Alot of growth in the past 2 1/2 weeks. I switched from a high nitrogen fertilizer to a high Phosphorus based fertilizer for more blooms and tighter bud sets. It's working lol.

image.jpg5_zps2xmhngjh.jpg

Habanero Reds....never seen Habs this big before. 3 side to side are as long as my hand!
image.jpg1_zpsuaiohhnu.jpg

Scorpions
image.jpg2_zps0blkcgww.jpg

Nice big green healthy leaves on the Trinidad scorpion. Loving the Texas non summer!

image.jpg3_zps0z0y8io5.jpg

Peppers out front doing almost as well as the ones in the raised planter with amended soil.

image.jpg1_zpsttwtefyb.jpg

7pots are starting to get the pimply skin bumps

image.jpg8_zpsoaqdv01g.jpg

A few shots of last years peppers because this years peppers are all green still :)

image.jpg1_zpsnmmmkpis.jpg

image.jpg2_zps0vvscekn.jpg

image.jpg3_zpstulvkakx.jpg

Welcome aboard! Those plants look amazing, good work. I've not been here very long either but it's a great place to get advice.

Looks like you have the green thumb. Newbie to thp but not growing. You will meet people here that will have new seed types like pepperlover.com where you can start your own plants indoors. Seed trains and members will to trade or sell seed. So welcome to the spiciest site on the web.

Welcome! Nice looking plants. Never ordered from Cross Country. Almost ordered from them this year. They have a cool website.

Thanks for sharing.

2 more ripe peppers.

Jamacian red
I ate this one bit by bit munching on the whole pepper with tacos last night. It has a lot of fruit flavor and is the least hot of the bunch! Grow them every year.

Trinidad scorpion
I know better and cut the front scorpion tail part off and then cut that into small chunks. Ate this with curry. Smells like napalm and fuel, a little fruit taste, then total instant burn! Whoa...

Just two more to try and then I will have worked my way through all five varieties I planted :)

Will try and get some updated shots of the plants after it cools down a bit.

Ps I just saw that there is a sub forum for glogs. If a mod can or wants to move this thread there thanks! Missed that in all my excitement to find out there are others who are even more passionate about peppers than myself :)

More pepper pix. These are the new variety this year, Jamaican red habanero. Super huge pods, great floral taste and smell with only a little bit of heat on the front end that dissipates quickly. This is the perfect Habanero, will be growing these again next season. Only one more pepper to try of the Reginas Redhots and then I will have tried all of em...might be awhile for that post as the peppers are still not showing any color.

Sent from my iPad

stoney's_ghost said:
Well done! Those are huge!
My Chocolate hab pods are big this year too.
Biggest I've seen. Half dollar size.
The one I picked and ate was the middle pepper. The next one I will try and put something in the photo for a size reference. I mean these things are Insanely big! I grew the chocolate Habs in an elongated pod last year. They were good but not this big. Glad to hear yours are doing so well. It's so cool I found others who love peppers...can't believe it took this long lol. Yea THP.com :)

A few more shots as we move into fall here in central Texas. After fighting a loosing battle with the summer heat by putting up a shade tent I am finally being rewarded for my efforts and patience! Plants are healthy and green, full of buds (that aren't dropping), and peppers! Some of the first since the beginning of summer when it was still "cool". Plant size is around 4'-5' tall per plant with a whopping (for me anyway) 30+ peppers growing on each. Stepped up the GH Tiger Bloom feeding schedule and watering every day. I took down the netting and top shade but am going to leave up the PVC frame as I bet I will be tying up branches due to pod weight.. Plants in the front yard bed also doing quite well, just a bit smaller in overall height and width which was to be expected since those didn't have 100% amended soil to grow in. I am hoping to get 40 more days in until the first freeze, we will see.

P.S. Not a lot of action on my 7pot brain strain or Trinidad scorpions. Just a few peppers but a ton of flowers. Expecting more to come with time.

Another picture update when I start to get some color on those pods.

Reginas red hots

Habanero Jamaican Red (this is the plant with the huge racquet ball sized pods)

Front bed

Red habanero

Sent from my iPad

Mikes, well done.  Interesting that you should experience Scorpion as having a 'petrol' flavor. Apparently this isn't common but it does happen.  There is an active thread over on C2C that discusses how people taste differently. Also some serious growers near you.

About a month since the last update. Weather is getting cooler so I am getting a ton of pods. Hope to make it till mid November. Going to pickle, dry, freeze, and of course make some hot sauce. Really happy with the Reginas red hots and new Jamaican red habanero strains lots and lots of pods, so many I left the PVC shade frame up to support the plants.

Sent from my iPad

Back