seeds 2015 Seedling Help Please

Hi there.  Second year grower here with a couple of questions.  This year after I had issues with my seeds getting dry, then smelly in the container and such, I quickly put my seeds into Jiffy pellets.  So fast forward a couple of weeks.  Here they are, and as I planted a couple of seeds of each variety so 1 may grow per pellet, most have grown 2 per pellet.  So my question is when is it best to cut 1 out of each pellet so I have only 1 plant per pellet, or is it best leave them yet?  I plan on putting them into cups in a couple of weeks.  Germination went rather well in my eyes.  The ones without sprouts were replanted last week.  Thank you.

In case it makes a difference, they are approximately 1" tall with a couple a bit taller.

2rI5qKj.jpg

EJQorxg.jpg

Great, thank you to all that helped and offered advice.  I will wait for a true set of leaves of each pellet before separating.

@twilliams386 - I am having a hard time right now knowing that I will be doing this, but unfortunately I do not have any more room for more than I have planned for.  I just wanted to guarantee the number I was shooting for.  BUT, with that said, I have a couple of varieties that I am still waiting for, so your option still may be used if a vacancy opens up.

Separating seedlings carries its own set of risks. One being you could destroy both plants in your effort to separate them. If your concern is not destroying healthy seedlings then prior preparation should be exercised such as planting the seeds at the corners of the germination container. This allows you room to divide the seedlings without damaging the main root system.

obchili said:
Great, thank you to all that helped and offered advice.  I will wait for a true set of leaves of each pellet before separating.

@twilliams386 - I am having a hard time right now knowing that I will be doing this, but unfortunately I do not have any more room for more than I have planned for.  I just wanted to guarantee the number I was shooting for.  BUT, with that said, I have a couple of varieties that I am still waiting for, so your option still may be used if a vacancy opens up.
Totally understandable. I also planted 2 of each to ensure at least one sprout. If I wasn't joining the farmers market I'd also have to slaughter.

You should be able to just pluck the smaller of the two right out and plant it in a cup at this stage. I've done it multiple times and they are usually fine. You might have a fatality here or there but it's better to try then just killing them.. Also like said above you could wash them off too but that's too time consuming for me.

Thanks. I am really happy with the germination in the pellets, and will definately do it again next year, as i find less work than the baggie method, although both have given me very good results.

Ok.  Well the plants are doing well, and they all have 1 or 2 sets of true leaves, so I will trim the worst of the two later today.  I will really hate to do it, but it has to be done.

Back