• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 Southern Hemisphere Grow Down-Under

Hi All

It's getting to that stage where we need to plan the next growdown.

I can supply the Aji Cito seeds, but will need to get them posted pretty quick so get voting

I also have no issue if we go with something else, but will need to order in good time as it takes ages to get to NZ

If you vote 'Something Else' post a suggested variety

Poll closes Friday 27th April

General Rules
  • GROWDOWN BEGINS 21st JUNE
  • Seeds to be started on or after start date
  • Germinate and grow as many as you want
  • All grow styles and techniques welcome
  • Only one plant can count towards your entry
  • Nominate your growdown plant at first weigh in
  • Weigh each harvest, and post picture of pods on scales here
  • Heaviest total weight of pods in one year from start will be the winner
  • Honour system - If you cheat the Aphid Gods will know

Suppose I should put up some pics of mine. Nothing that even looks like a flower yet.

We have been having funny weather here. Either it is raining and in the 20s, or damn hot and humid and 35°+. Then when they dry out it starts raining again.

I have also been hit with snails and caterpillars.

My 3 plants. One in the ground, one in a pot, and one in a raised garden bed,

20181107_081639.jpg

20181107_081731.jpg

20181107_081754.jpg

Mine have just gone from a small plastic container to a growing box in the greenhouse, hoping they take off from here. No buds yet. I suspect they will start to catch up a bit now though.

I've giving most of my seedlings away to growers in the neighborhood. 

Attachments

• plants.jpg
    plants.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 50
For some reference and motivation - The photo below was taken 05 Dec last year and there are four Cito plants circled.

These four produced consistent supply of  chillies over the summer season and were not cared for much.

If you further than this now you gonna have a good season, if you not then see how progress goes over then next four weeks.

Check out my Glog from last year with photos of cito harvests and when they are for an idea of harvesting dates

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/66171-kaos-glog-2017/page-3

cito.jpg

Update from this morning.

Weather has been all over the place. Hot cold windy rain fog. Overnight temps are normalising at around 10c so that’s a positive.

I still have to stake my plant and this is kind of on purpose. I figured that I’d try get stems as strong as possible before supporting to provide a solid foundation. Seems to be working.

Plenty flowers and pods but no ripe ones yet.

9b19de50d61e5422696e20b82a2f634c.jpg

d94960e2aeda73acfbe2509cdeee0156.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KAOS said:
Looking good Tim. They will need a pot size up in a few weeks no doubt.

Yeah they're almost rootbound already, the pot is mostly full of roots. I've put one into a 90L growing container with my semi-hydroponic growing style, it'll take off from there. Those other ones in pots will go to other people this weekend.

Weekly update.

Not a lot of visible growth i can see. pods are setting though, counted 10 on the plant at the moment. 

i built a new enclosure for the plant and untied the branches hoping it would start growing again. 

Attachments

• 20181111_100127_resized.jpg
    20181111_100127_resized.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20181111_100154_resized.jpg
    20181111_100154_resized.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 57
  • 20181111_100216_resized.jpg
    20181111_100216_resized.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 65
karoo said:
Pods are ripening fast, but still very small due to the heat. I thought I would wait a week or more, but the pods are drying on the plant.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
Hey, Jacques, having fun with the Aji Cito?
They look a lot like Aji Lemon Drops, but
more orange-colored. What is the heat level
on them?

Have a super great season, buddy!

My plant that was put in the ground is growing well. No sign of flowers yet but looking healthy.

20181121_100337.jpg

The 2 others that I have (1 in a pot attacked by snails and caterpillars, 1 in a raised bed) are not doing any where near as well as this one.

Sweet looking plant folks!

I need to take pics of mine. Currently inside under the lights; as we're experiencing January weather in November.

PaulG said:
Hey, Jacques, having fun with the Aji Cito?
They look a lot like Aji Lemon Drops, but
more orange-colored. What is the heat level
on them?

Have a super great season, buddy!
Aji Cito and Aji Lemon are very similar in size , shape and heat.
Tastes different though.

Jip, a lot of fun to grow. :dance:

Looking good guys. my plants have stalled although you cant blame them as we have had some pretty bad weather this week. snow for 2 days then just cold and wet for 3 days. They have been inside without direct sunlight. 

Ive got pods on both plants im still trying too decide between but they havent started to ripen yet.

I have mine in a full sized growing box now, it's coming along better. It's just started to bud. Bit of a slow start here, but my greenhouse is fantastic for growing chillis, and the semi-hydroponics tend to work well, so fingers crossed for the end of summer :) I'm just about to put better supports in, when I get around to it.

I gave a half dozen of these seedlings away too.

Attachments

• IMG_20181202_125910-TimProcessed.jpg
    IMG_20181202_125910-TimProcessed.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20181202_125947-TimProcessed.jpg
    IMG_20181202_125947-TimProcessed.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 59
Back