• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil 2nd raised garden soil question

before i got crazy into this pepper growing thing i started a raised garden and put a soil mix recommended by gf. 2 part top soil 2 part humus and manure mix, and 1 part strait manure. the plant seem happy but slowed down growing noticeably. ive building a second raised garden now... what would be a good soil mix for the guys to grow happy and freely
DSCN0448.jpg
DSCN0447.jpg

Not sure how dense your top soil is, but that looks like hard compact dirt. Looks like it's very heavy and dense from the pictures. Your soil should be light, loamy, and almost fluffy. Even when partially dry you should be able to easily push your finger into the soil. I no longer use compost or manure in the soil because it's just too heavy and smothers the roots. I found it's a lot easier to skip the nutes in the soil and just add them in a liquid form while the plant is growing.

lightsoil.jpg

yea you can push in the soil no problem. but what do you all suggest for the soil in the raised garden. thanks again to all

soil is soil, whether it's in a raised garden, pot, etc. Not sure how dense your soil is, but it doesn't seem to be light an airy at all. If your unsure about what soil to use check out the sticky on soil and post more about your growing conditions such as amount of sun per day, average temps, etc etc.

Then users can post feedback that may help based on your specific growing location and needs.

thanks man. i am such a novice at this. thanks for the patience. where its located it gets all day sun. the avg. temps range from 70s to 90s its kentucky you never know what to expect. I read up and it seems that i am missing peat moss to the equation. ill do some self research and also your alls input is awesome as well. thanks again for any future input

Back