• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

2nd Year Habs Growing Stingers?

I KNOW these are common orange habaneros. I've gotten hundreds of peppers off of this plant the past couple of years. But now they're growing stingers! Anyone seen this before? What would cause this? Just an anomaly, I assume.

9524737902_9073a68351_b.jpg

9524742492_a06e6e8fe6_b.jpg

OR..... is it possible that the peach ghost scorpion I have growing 5 feet away crossed with it? Nah.... couldn't be on the parent plant....

I've got cherry bombs that are elongated and my fresnos look like red jalapenos.  Don't plants need to be isolated from other varieties to prevent cross germination?  If it's the same plant and was not isolated, maybe that happened? 

to me that doesn't look like a scorpion tail, which seems to result from a restriction/non-expansion of the lower half of the developing pod. this looks more like the ovarium growing into the style remnant--a different mechanism. but an interesting pepper nonetheless

Ají hombre said:
to me that doesn't look like a scorpion tail, which seems to result from a restriction/non-expansion of the lower half of the developing pod. this looks more like the ovarium growing into the style remnant--a different mechanism. but an interesting pepper nonetheless

Agreed. It is the ovarium. Just the first time I've seen them do this.

Hard to tell what is further back in the plants genetic history before you got ahold of those seeds. Recessive traits can present several generations later. Whatever the cause may be, you have a freaky mutation that is really cool looking. Save some seeds from the fattest, healthiest, most gnarly-looking pod and grow em out next year. I have plenty of different habs growing, but none like yours. Congrats.

Back