• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

400 watt HPS/Mh Full growth? Naga Morich?

I had some naga morich plants outdoors this summer... and they have failed miserably... I was wondering with my new 400 watt high pressure sodium/metal halide convertible light, if it it possible to go through ALL staged, from seedlings, to growing, all the way to fruiting and getting nice peppers, but ALL indoors. I'm getting my set up done soon, and i want to know what would be the cheapest set up for growing peppers indoors with this light. And how long would it take from seed, until i get like edible peppers?

Thanks! :lol:

I do fine with 250W (MH then switch to HPS) for 3 plants in a 0,8*0,8m tent. I also have a 200W CFL that i can use for the seedling stage, but I have prefered the HID cause the CFL weighs too much so the bulb droops. I dont know the shipping prices for overseas orders but hydroponics.eu (ive bought from them, they have good products, service and fast shipping, the shipping is cheap and totally free in EU at orders over 150 euros) have great equipment, their sonlight ballasts are probably the same as lumatek, but much cheaper. I know a lot of the new digital ballasts are identical inside, only with different design and trademarks.

Julian said:
I had some naga morich plants outdoors this summer... and they have failed miserably... I was wondering with my new 400 watt high pressure sodium/metal halide convertible light, if it it possible to go through ALL staged, from seedlings, to growing, all the way to fruiting and getting nice peppers, but ALL indoors. I'm getting my set up done soon, and i want to know what would be the cheapest set up for growing peppers indoors with this light. And how long would it take from seed, until i get like edible peppers?

Thanks! :lol:

Well, I had some issues with nutrient concentration this go around and all my flowers dropped so I ran out of space before I got peppers. But I'd say it was about 2 to 2.5 months from seed before the peppers finally breached 6 foot tall.....This wasn't a leggy 6 foot either, these plants were beasts. You can check it out in my grow log (link in signature) Oh, I just used a 400W HPS, I don't have a switchable ballast or conversion bulb.

Check out redeye's grow log, he had peppers in just over a month I believe in an indoor grow. Pretty damn impressive.

Overall though I'm happy with the results of my first attempt. I transplanted 2 outside and cut 2 back and I'm letting those regrow. So all hope for peppers isn't lost yet.

That's really cool... i never thought it was as easy as that. I only have a 400 watt convertible light. I don't have a grow chamber. If i set up a little fan beside my plants to blow a little air on them, keep the heat off AND help make the stems stronger. Will that work? And also, since i don't have a grow chamber. What can i use as reflective material? I put some naga morichs outside this summer... and they've all gone white and brown... i guess they're delicate and don't like direct sunlight.

Thanks again!

Hey,
My Naga Morich did the same thing. But after it lost of its leaves it bounced back and now is budding :)

--James

Note… I’m posting my response in 3 entries to accommodate the 4 picture limit.

Julian,

I’m a little confused. On another site’s forum you stated you ordered a 250W setup. Now you have a 400W? Although I previously responded (on the other forum) that I use a 400W convertible to keep my plant starts going strong, I concur with Lavish, a 250 should do if you’re only growing 2 or 3 plants. A 400W is great for a 3x3 area but you can push it to 4x4. 250W should be more adequate for your stated needs. (I believe someone else on the other site told you that as well).

I started my super hots on January 5th this year and didn’t put them out until June 5. Here are some shots of both the indoor and out. The indoor shots were taken early April. The outdoor ones yesterday. They are not as far along as they should be but as you know we’ve had our fair share of cool wet days this year. Even so, they are all producing buds like crazy.

Bhut Jolokia
3483501189_2aa0582539_o.jpg

Dorset Naga
3484315222_5f82c69549_o.jpg

Seven Pot
3484314872_9f116548ee_o.jpg

(Note: sorry about the poor outdoor exposures… I had a few pints and didn’t compensate for the bright sun LOL)

Bhut Jolokia
3727087626_ec3d44c7c5_o.jpg

Dorset Naga
3727087204_2104a20e6f_o.jpg

Seven Pot
3726282647_b019639b50_o.jpg

We are only 120 miles apart and have had the same growing conditions this year. Not sure why yours did not make it. Did you harden them off before leaving them outside all day?

One other suggestion; if you’re hell bent on growing your nagas indoors and as fast as possible, I’d suggest you give a cheap hydroponic setup. Grab a Rubbermaid bin; an old aquarium pump and air stone; pick up some nutrients, pH down, pH test strips and some mesh baskets and clay pellets at a local hydro store. You should be able to get away under $40. Two years ago I had great results growing 3 Bhuts under a 400W HID light.

They were doing great until I killed them. I got lazy and didn’t address salt build up on my roots. Here are some shots. From start to finish (dead plants) was about 4 months. I’m sure I would have had loads of fruit in another month or two if I had taken care of them. I’ll be doing it again this year.

3726279883_0571329680.jpg

3726280217_d383e6a47a.jpg

3726280585_efc23f9473.jpg

3727086324_259f1fcff1.jpg

This is my first year growing peppers and the ones inside under the 400 watt is doing a LOT better than the ones outside. However I did have a set back after the seeds sprouted because I didn't have my CFL bulbs ready so I lost a week and they got leggy, then a battle with aphids also seemed to cause some leaf drop. I can see how one could get fruit in a month or so under perfect conditions. If you don't have a grow box or closet just get a big card board box and line it with mylar or any reflective material and that will help keep the light on the plants, but make sure you have a fan to circulate the air. I will eventually upgrade my 1000 HPS, but only after I get a blower to suck air out of the closet to the outside as those get VERY hot.

ottawapepper said:
Note… I’m posting my response in 3 entries to accommodate the 4 picture limit.

Julian,

I’m a little confused. On another site’s forum you stated you ordered a 250W setup. Now you have a 400W? Although I previously responded (on the other forum) that I use a 400W convertible to keep my plant starts going strong, I concur with Lavish, a 250 should do if you’re only growing 2 or 3 plants. A 400W is great for a 3x3 area but you can push it to 4x4. 250W should be more adequate for your stated needs. (I believe someone else on the other site told you that as well).

I started my super hots on January 5th this year and didn’t put them out until June 5. Here are some shots of both the indoor and out. The indoor shots were taken early April. The outdoor ones yesterday. They are not as far along as they should be but as you know we’ve had our fair share of cool wet days this year. Even so, they are all producing buds like crazy.

Bhut Jolokia
3483501189_2aa0582539_o.jpg

Dorset Naga
3484315222_5f82c69549_o.jpg

Seven Pot
3484314872_9f116548ee_o.jpg

lol, ya i actually was going to place an order for a 250 watt HPS, when i found a better deal for a 400 watt HPS/Mh convertible light, so i decided to stick with it instead.

well, you see i'm not REALLY held back. I just don't want to wait 6 months until i get a nice batch of peppers. Is it possible to run my Metal halide lamp 18/6? What kind of ventilation should i have? I work in a hardward store and i get good discounts on bathroom fans. If i set one up right beside my lamp and plants, would that be enough? And if they get to be let's say 4 feet high, i can trim them, can't i?

You can run the light as long as you want, but the other chart I posted showed suggested light times depending on the stage of growth. Any fan that blows air away from the plants will do fine. If might also be a good idea to read the other 6 articles about HID lights and growing inside as it will give you a good OVERALL idea on how to grow.

LMAO imaguitargod

YES YES YES

For JUST $19.99 US I’ll send you a magic Bhut seed that spits out $1 US bills.

Too good to be true, I’ll even enclose your first $1 US with your order. Guaranteed results the first year!

Not enough?

If you order in the next 20 minutes, I’ll throw in an extra seed!

Order NOW NOW NOW (555) 555-1212

Julian said:
well, you see i'm not REALLY held back. I just don't want to wait 6 months until i get a nice batch of peppers. Is it possible to run my Metal halide lamp 18/6? What kind of ventilation should i have? I work in a hardward store and i get good discounts on bathroom fans. If i set one up right beside my lamp and plants, would that be enough? And if they get to be let's say 4 feet high, i can trim them, can't i?

peppers will fruit even under 24 hr light. But I run my light 18/6. Seems to work well. But yes you should definitely go with some sort of hydroponic system if you're going to grow indoors. Less mess, less work and absolutely amazing growth. I shit you not I had a 6 foot tall beast of a Trinidad scorpion in 2.5 months. I love my Dutch bucket system :)

ottawapepper said:
LMAO imaguitargod

YES YES YES

Too good to be true, I’ll even enclose your first $1 US with your order. Guaranteed results the first year!

Not enough?

: gets out phone and dials :

Waaaaiiiittt a second, is this dollar bill plant backed in gold?

ottawapepper said:
LMAO imaguitargod

YES YES YES

Not enough?

Pshh. Reimers has a plant that grows $20s. Guaranteed*

*guaranteed to grow anything but what's advertised.
:lol:

Imaguitargod,

I’m very very sorry my friend. Your good Mr. Nixon put an end to that messy Gold Standard back in 71. Too bad though, we wouldn’t be in the global mess we’re in right now if he hadn’t.

Txclosetgrower,

Dam you! Once again Reimers superior products and customer service have foiled me again. How can a small time charlatan compete with larger ones… Dam You Reimers!!!

LMAO

Back