• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

5 gallon Buckets

Hello everyone! 1st time grower here. Just ordered my seeds from pepperlover.com (hope I didn't go wrong there) and plan on planting in 5 gallon buckets. I was wondering, I've been doing as much research as I can (being a new grower), with the strains I'm growing (Bhuts, T.S. Butch, Douglah and Red Savina), can I plant 2 seedlings per bucket? Thanks in advance for the advice.

-Masschilehead

There are lots of growers using 5 gal buckets, make sure you drill holes for drainage and set a filter bed. You can certainly pot up 2 ssedlings in a bucket but they will fight for light and nutrients, in my experience one plant will eventully win and the smaller may not produce much. Check the growing section for tips on media, nutrients, layouts, systems, seed starting etc.

You cant do a whole lot better than Pepperlover.com, Judy is well liked around here.

Good luck with your season, there is a ton of info here

Chad

5 gal buckets are fine, that's what all my advanced seedlings go into when it's spring.
Wouldn't small seedling containers be better being that you'll get winter soon, so whatever fits on the window sill would be better?

If they are going to run lights, more plants in smaller separate containers would be better too.
Putting seeds straight in a 5 gal bucket and the end of winter is fine for all I know, (I always start small and pot up, but what I do isn't always the best), but this time of year for you guys?

Both these people have given you good advice so far. You would think that you would get twice as many everything with 2 plants per pot, but it just doesn't happen. One plant will always lose out and be smaller when they fight for light, root room and nutrients. If you want thickness, then you can always trim back the branches, ot tip the plant, to make them bush out while they are growing and haven't set flowers. I have noticed that once they start to flower for the first time, they also branch profusely all by themselves, so early branching will delay your first set of peppers by a little bit, but you will have more branches which usually means more peppers. Some of the people on the forum are complaining about not enough peppers on their plants, but from what I see, just about every new branch seems to produce at least 3 flowers from each node, at least on all the plants I have tried so far, which is only 6 kinds so far. I know my red savina plants I grew a couple of years ago did the best for wanting to branch by topping them off. One plant had 18 main branches on it when it was still 20 inches tall.
I grow all my plants in 7 gallon containers for the first 3 years, so I am doing pretty much the same as you want to do. I do however, start them in small peat pots and once I have good established plants, I put them in larger pots and the roots can grow right through the peat pot. They work great. It ia also suggested that you might want to pot them in something small until next spring. That is a very good idea. If you are going to grow these inside with lights, then that does not matter. You didn't say, you may want to just store your seeds and know that you have them to start next spring. Store them correctly and the seeds will be perfectly fine for years, yet alone a half of a year.

Both these people have given you good advice so far. You would think that you would get twice as many everything with 2 plants per pot, but it just doesn't happen. One plant will always lose out and be smaller when they fight for light, root room and nutrients. If you want thickness, then you can always trim back the branches, ot tip the plant, to make them bush out while they are growing and haven't set flowers. I have noticed that once they start to flower for the first time, they also branch profusely all by themselves, so early branching will delay your first set of peppers by a little bit, but you will have more branches which usually means more peppers. Some of the people on the forum are complaining about not enough peppers on their plants, but from what I see, just about every new branch seems to produce at least 3 flowers from each node, at least on all the plants I have tried so far, which is only 6 kinds so far. I know my red savina plants I grew a couple of years ago did the best for wanting to branch by topping them off. One plant had 18 main branches on it when it was still 20 inches tall.
I grow all my plants in 7 gallon containers for the first 3 years, so I am doing pretty much the same as you want to do. I do however, start them in small peat pots and once I have good established plants, I put them in larger pots and the roots can grow right through the peat pot. They work great. It ia also suggested that you might want to pot them in something small until next spring. That is a very good idea. If you are going to grow these inside with lights, then that does not matter. You didn't say, you may want to just store your seeds and know that you have them to start next spring. Store them correctly and the seeds will be perfectly fine for years, yet alone a half of a year.
EXCELLENT advise everyone! I was thinking about trying one indoors, as I know once the seeds arrive, I'm going to be foaming at the mouth to get them going. I'll have to see how patient I can be over the next couple of months :)

Back