• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

5 gallon pots.

Hey all,

I am looking for 20 five gallon pots. Are homer's buckets from home depot good enough ? whats the difference between these and nursery pots ? Whats up with food grade buckets ?

- Mega

I grow a lot of stuff in those 5 gallon buckets. I poked some holes in the bottom for drainage....no issues yet.

Any food grade or heavy 5 gal plastic bucket will work.

I'd drill 1/4" holes in the bottom for drainage and line the bottom with golf ball size rocks.

Worked great and the fact that they are somewhat portable is nice for when you have to move them on account of too much sun, wind or rain.

The down side is they use more water than in ground or raised bed plants.

Just make sure to use a good soil and compost mix as well as a good mulch.

Stay away from dark colored buckets.

They absorb too much heat from the sun and can burn your plants up.

Go with white if you can.

Hey Texas,

Thanks for the info !

Also, I just got back from the North West Chili Fest where i heard a lot about your cooking in the throw-down competitions. I am looking forward to getting in on the throw-down action from hear on out and can't wait to see what you put out there.

- Sean O.

Hey Texas,

Thanks for the info !

Also, I just got back from the North West Chili Fest where i heard a lot about your cooking in the throw-down competitions. I am looking forward to getting in on the throw-down action from hear on out and can't wait to see what you put out there.

- Sean O.

Much obliged Sean.

Just believe the good stuff.

Ann, CJ, Scovie and all the rest rock up there in PNW.

I few years ago I'd a made an appearance myself.

Looks like y'all had some great goin's on.

Jump back and kiss yo''sef one time!

Hey Mega!

Just Saturday PaulyG was telling me that those 5 gal. nursery pots aren't truly 5 gal. Which is no big deal until you start mixing ferts with soil, etc - it throws the ratios off I guess? Just a thought! :D

( look at me talkin' all 'grow' and stuff! hahaha )

Hey all,

I am looking for 20 five gallon pots. Are homer's buckets from home depot good enough ? whats the difference between these and nursery pots ? Whats up with food grade buckets ?

- Mega
Construction buckets will work, food grade are used for pickling or brining, no leaching from the plastic. Nursery pots (not blow mold) are sturdy yet flexable. They'll last outdoors through the winters with no brittle cracking issues. Sure they're expensive if you're looking at the 14 gal and up shrub/tree types. But you can take the 5 gal drill (I recommend) 3/4" holes app. 12 of them and line the bottom with a lite weight material. Anything from layers of burlap, styro-peanut packing, cedar wood chips which are light weight and the insects hate.......rocks if you have to. I opt for the cedar mulch. I have 18 gal containers with numerous drain holes filled with 1" of cedar. During the startup in spring I take a wheel barrel and place a heavy duty screening frame over it. I'll then "Pan for Gold"..........I wish, but I'll force all the container medium through the screen. Any lumps or leftover roots are broken up or discarded. All my raised beds are topped off with the soil. I'll place the leftover mulch back into the containers...app 75 or so...........my wife said less for next year....ok dear,...74. Any ways the containers get refilled with a new mix, mushroom compost, peat, torpedo sand, loam, some other crap....I mean garden compost, castings, and a few other ammendments. The reason I don't use gravel is because its heavy and the pots aren't light as it is......ever try getting rid of it?Bottom line the 5gal buckets will work, you'll just be sacrficing the overall size and production of the plants..........did somebody say a bucket of ice cold longnecks?

Buckets after less than a year become brittle in the Texas heat.

May be different in a cooler climate. Also pepper WILL become rootbound in a 5 gallon bucket, in our growing season.

Any food grade or heavy 5 gal plastic bucket will work.

I'd drill 1/4" holes in the bottom for drainage and line the bottom with golf ball size rocks.

I thought larger objects in the bottom would improve drainage as well but after some research the experts say that these large rocks, etc in the bottom of a pot actually hastens draining. They say put the soil right in with nothing else on the bottom. It's a physics thing actually. ;)

There seems to be quite a bi to consider. So my use: I plan on going from 1 gallons to 5 gallon for the winter. and then stepping my plants up again next summer for the growing season... to step them back again next winter.

So big rocks in the bottom... I have always heard its ayes... I really don't understand the physics thing ???

Go to Target, WallyMart, or the local grocery store and buy one of the cloth/plastic ish bags for like 50 or 99 cents. I think they are made from tyvex like the stuff used for cdrom sleeves.
Basically put it tight on your mouth and if you can blow through it then you have the right one.
I've been using them on a few plants this year and I also have read a few others are as well.
ceyennemist has some info on them also in this thread..
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33003-bigger-pots/page__hl__+walmart%20+bag#entry669265

Anyhoo, they are about 5 gal. and work fantastic!

At least get one and try it, you will be surprised.

A spokanman ive got plants in regular food grade 5gallons no issues ...

You should try your local supermarket "bakery" they go threw food grade (cake icing) buckets left and right just ask them if they have 1or 2 or if they could save you some? Got mine for free! Beats paying homedepot for them:-)
2012-09-11_20-04-49_667.jpg

There seems to be quite a bi to consider. So my use: I plan on going from 1 gallons to 5 gallon for the winter. and then stepping my plants up again next summer for the growing season... to step them back again next winter.

So big rocks in the bottom... I have always heard its ayes... I really don't understand the physics thing ???

Try this. A google search will yield other links.
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Container%20drainage.pdf

To make buckets lighter (easier to move), use packing peanuts instead of rocks. Put em in nylons or a net bag so you can safely dispose of them at the end of the season. If you need weight, use some rocks under the packing peanuts.

I don't use rocks but have in the past, some great ideas here ... thanks! :)

Edit: sorry didn't give my reason and that's because I don't like too much sifting when I want to reuse soil into compost ... /me lazy :D

Back