5 Gallon Self Irrigating Planter Q

So today I finally got around to making a few 5 gallon self irrigating planters.  It's my second season growing and I've only used liquid ferts before.

Now my question is, can I still use liquid ferts by feeding it through the tube down to the reservoir?  Also is it necessary to cover up the tops of the buckets like this?

640x960.jpg

Any input would be appreciated, Thanks!

You can put your liquid fert down that pvc pipe into the reservoir, but if its not covered rain water will drain through the bucket and go into the reservoir also. Tgis will delute and remove your fertilizer from overflow assuming it rains that much.

I add a granular fertilizer about mid level, when I pot up. When that gets used up, I add liquid to the reservoir. I don't use the plastic on the top. That's just me. I like to add top dressing at certain times of the year. I also like to top feed with compost tea. It works for me. I've been growing in them for a few years now. I'm actual mixing some soil up right now for them.

Good luck

Reactions: CJR
Thanks for the replys and sorry for my late reply,

What liquid ferts do you use? And do you use full strength or dilute/how often do you feed?

Thanks

CJR said:
Thanks for the replys and sorry for my late reply,
What liquid ferts do you use? And do you use full strength or dilute/how often do you feed?
Thanks
I use flora nova. I used age old organics for a number of years. Ran out and tried this stuff with no issues. I usually wait until the reservoir is empty, I use a baby medicine syringe, or one for marinating meat works good. I squirt it in the reservoir a fill. Once a month is my feeding schedule. Depending on compost tea additive.

Back