• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

raised-bed 6'X17' Raised Bed...How many chinenses?

This is my first grow year. Utilizing a 6'x17' raised bed, what would be the maximum number of chinenses you might reasonably plant?

Give me an idea of how you would space them. Thanks.

I think 2 rows of 8 would give you the best production. It's going to get tight if you leave less than 2 feet between plants.

Two rows five plants a row spaced at 3'... Will give the plants plenty of canopy space once fully grown

I want to make sure I'm understanding this.

2 rows of 8 plants = 16 plants total

2 rows of 5 plants = 10 plants total

Is this correct? Not many plants, damn.

Yes I would prefer to have a full developed plant then One competing against another... or you can cram as many in there as you like...

I would plant 3 rows by putting the outer ones close to the edge of the bed. You could realistically get 24ish plants in there spaced about 2' apart.

I've read studies done on Tabasco plants that have show increased yield when planting in the 10-15cm over planting 30-45cm. You'll get fewer pods per plant but the extra plants more than make up for it. Also, the denser canopy offers more support for the plants reducing damage from wind.

I say go for whatever feels right.

Id do a raised hump in the middle and do 3 rows total. One on the hump and one on either side. Then space them 2-2.5 feet in each row for a total of about 24 plants. The mound in the middle will help with harvests since they will be higher up than those on the sides.

Some good suggestions in here.
All c. chinense don't grow the same or require the same space. If pruned the plants would also start out wider at a lower height.
I ended up planting plants from about a foot to 18" apart last year with some success and failures with others. I liked the fact that they grew together, helping support each other. Some, i am thinking, would have produced more if not overtaken by their neighbor.
I like Noah's idea of the raised mound on center. I think that would be helpful when harvesting.

Pack 'em in! This bed was probably 6x10 and had about 25-30 plants in it, though not all were chinenses. I pulled about 50lbs of peppers out of it.

Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm doing.

IMG_20120804_094410_1aygqu2wwg.jpg

Same bed two months prior:

IMG_20120624_060837_n3qlbnx4pe.jpg

Pack 'em in! This bed was probably 6x10 and had about 25-30 plants in it, though not all were chinenses. I pulled about 50lbs of peppers out of it.

Thanks everyone. That last photo is a thing of beauty. It must have been a bitch to harvest though.

HAHA That is Greatness!!!!!!!!

I put 15 plants in a 4'x15' plot. 2 rows of plants offset from one another. It worked out great for me, but there was room in the middle. I could have planted another row in the middle and been fine.

They wont really compete, because when they get to the size they are getting overgrown, they will already be producing. Also, it is better if you get a nasty spell of weather to have them close enough to support one another.

Offset rows for sure

O O O O
O O O
O O O O

I'm of the 12-18" spacing philosophy so that the canopies overlap. Creates a nice microclimate in the hottest part of summer, and the plants support each other in the wind.

Back