7 Pod Yellow - Root bound

I found a 7 Pod Yellow at a local garden store.  It is way to big for its pot and will be severely root bound.  I went though this recently with some Bell peppers and my usual practice of trying to break up the root ball was just not effective. Having been planted in the garden  they are not really thriving.  For the 7 Pod hould I take some scissors to the root ball and just make a couple of snips to the encircled roots before planting to encourage new root growth?

Also any advice on whether they prefer full sun or part shade would be most appreciated.

Why do you want to cut the root ball? you will make the plant even more root bound.. if its so encircled maybe you could stretch it out a bit, without hurting it when transplanting.
This way it will grow in all directions easier and cover a larger area so it can take more nutrients and water which will encourage plant growth. I think they like 30-38 Celsius degrees the most, if your sunny area exceeds that then a partly shady area would be better, or shade cloth. Maybe you could cut some from the stem and upper branches but it is not necessary.
Once its comfortable with its new location, it will start growing with full power.

You should be able to cut, but only the parts that really won't stretch. I don't think peppers really have a problem no matter how bound they are once they find more space.
And how do you find something like that at a garden store, I thought that superhots are kinda rare.

Thanks for the responses.  In answer to why I want to cut the root ball before planting I understanf that root trimming will encourage branching as we see in air pruning pots.  With the roots matted together very densely it seems they struggle to make new large tap roots.  Our local temps are down around 26c max but the UV index is very high.  New Zealand is a long way from the equatorial regions where these plants originate.

I understand that peppers will go better once out of the binding container.  I guess I want to kick start the rooting in the new medium.  It was kinda of a fluke finding the 7 pot.  I was very suprised but ti wasn't very cheap ~$10USD.  I was still happy to pay that as it is podding up and is larger than my 6 month old peppers.  For anyone in New Zealand Palmers also had Bhuts and Rocotos.  To be honest I felt like an astronaut finding a hamburger in space.

I would do some trimming but nothing severe. Stretch the roots out as best you can then trim a few inches off all the way around. Just me. Good luck.

It's not going to hurt to trim a bit - but if I'm potting up to its new 5 gallon home, I'll just re-pot without root trimming.

Congratulations on finding 7 pots and Rocotos at the store. That would be like finding a hamburger in space for sure.

Robisburning said:
Thanks for the responses.  In answer to why I want to cut the root ball before planting I understanf that root trimming will encourage branching as we see in air pruning pots.  With the roots matted together very densely it seems they struggle to make new large tap roots.  Our local temps are down around 26c max but the UV index is very high.  New Zealand is a long way from the equatorial regions where these plants originate.

I understand that peppers will go better once out of the binding container.  I guess I want to kick start the rooting in the new medium.  It was kinda of a fluke finding the 7 pot.  I was very suprised but ti wasn't very cheap ~$10USD.  I was still happy to pay that as it is podding up and is larger than my 6 month old peppers.  For anyone in New Zealand Palmers also had Bhuts and Rocotos.  To be honest I felt like an astronaut finding a hamburger in space.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Woooo nice find! Where abouts in NZ are you?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I went and checked my local Palmers after your post and couldn’t find anything too exotic...I picked up a nice healthy looking Habanero though which is good for me because it will give me some hot chilis to work with well before the seeds from my super hots are ready. (I’m new to growing peppers)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Out of curiosity, were the Bhuts named Bhuts or were they called something else? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]The reason I ask is because im a new grower and I have an unknown plant that I also bought from Palmers.  Its label calls it "capsicum chili fire". I have tried to find some info on this pepper online but my research seems to suggest "capsicum chili fire" is not actually a type of pepper. I thought you may just know them by looks or something :) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Its buds seem to be maturing very slowly compared to my cayenne and sweet yellow peppers. Im kind of starting to think that my "chili fire" might actually be Bhuts..(im a COMPLETE noob, so my be way off here)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Here's what the plant looks like, i realise it may be too soon to tell..(pic is about a week old now so it will have grown a bit since then, I will get more up-to-date pics to help with identification if required..)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]
chilifire_zps33d76ed9.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Cheers [/SIZE]

Hi ChilliNZ,  I am in Auckland. I got the 7 pot from was Palmers, Remuera.  I had to do a second walk through to see them. The Bhuts were labelled Bhut Jolokias and looked true.  If you go there ask for directions to them.  They ones you want are labeled Nuclear Heat.

Chilli Fire is the same as Wildfire as I understand it and are quite common in nurseries  in NZ.  It is an annuum fairly similar to Cayenne in heat and pod appearance with lots of seeds.  I grew it last year with good success and while it is fairly productive it isn't that exciting.

Hey Rob, thanks very much for the info!

Now I have a burning desire to get to Palmers in Remuera lol...hmmmmmmmmmm  (I went to the one in howick). My brothers not working today, ill try send him there for me LOL :)

Iv got a range of super hot seeds on their way to me (Butch T, Bhuts, Moruga Scorpion, Moruga Scorpion Yellow, 7 pot red, and 7 pot yellow...),but im keen as to pick up a plant to get a nice head start if i can!

Cheers

So... I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you are thinking about trying to grow the Chinense this year I don't think you will have much success as it is too late.  If you are thinking about next year I have seeds for about 100 varieties and would be glad to give you some.

if you do send your brother make sure he asks where they are.  I knew exactly what I was looking for and still struggled to find them. The company that supplies them is called 'garden fresh' and they have a range of heats with the ones we have discussed having a nuclear symbol on the label - other than those I mentioned seeing the label says they also have 7 pod Jonah and Gringo Killer which I have not heard of.

Thanks for the info, yea i was thinking about this year..guess it would be wiser for me to focus more on finding actual plants then and save the seeds ?  :)

Whats the ideal time to start seeds in Auckland? I had sort of hoped I could keep them alive over winter, I constructed the below unit to keep them in. I was going to put a clear plastic roof on it in the winter. But if it isnt to be it just isnt to be :)

growunitx_zpsbda43efc.jpg

Now im even keener to get my hands on a Bhut Plant lol! I have spoken to my brother who will go to Palmers for me today :) hes going to give me a ring when hes there so i can direct him to ask the staff.

I would be keen to take you up on your offer of seeds next year! :)

I found the ideal time to start germinating seeds for the chinense is in July.  I had my plants all ready to plant out after the last frost of the year (http://www.noodles.net.nz/2010/07/05/auckland-frost-dates/) which is about October 1st but it must have been on the cold side for them as they didn't do anything for a month or so after I put them in the ground.

I have not had a greenhouse so am not sure whether it would keep them going over winter but one of my chinenses died overwinter inside, generally I have found overwintering a difficult balance.  I have about 60 bhut jolokia seeds from PepperLover.  You are welcome to 20 and can germinate some now and try to keep them going.  If you find a good trick you have got to let me know though:) When you grab the Bhut seeds you can look at the other seeds and see which you want.

For this season I think you will be fairly hard pressed to start anything from seed so think hunting a couple of plants down is a good option. 

Thanks for the offer Rob! What an awesome place this is, If only i had found this forum a couple of weeks ago! :)
I should have my seeds in a couple of days anyway, so I will just plant a couple of them and see how I get on and save the rest for next year / hit you up if i kill everything lol :)
Im now very glad i didnt plan my whole season around seeds!

I will keep you updated with how I get on, ill probably start a "glog" once I have picked up a couple more plants from Palmers.  Am now going to Palmers myself after work so ill have a good look around..hopefully i get lucky with a sweet find like you did!

Thanks! That makes things easier. Will print it and take it with me lol :)
Im leaving for Palmers in about 10 mins

Well that was a successful mission! Another pie found in space  :party:
Thanks heaps for the lead Rob! 

I got a good size yellow 7 pot, and a Bhut. Both have a few pods on them already..
ill have them re-potted into their new homes either tonight or tomorrow..

Oh and how ripe do pods need to be to harvest seeds? 

Here's a couple of pics of my new plants! Am pretty stoked to have bought these at a store. No doubt its saved my first hot chili growing season lol..
Yellow 7pot
yellow7pot_zpsa954bd05.jpg

Bhut Jolokia
bhut_zps5db1e1d3.jpg

Hamburgers in space! Well done, stoked for you! 

I like my pods very ripe to harvest seeds, probably riper than you would eat them.  If you think about it the plant drops them when they are primed for the soil.  I normally wait a week after they reach full color.  Like everything else I am sure someone else is better qualified to answer this though as I am only in my 2nd season.  That said the seeds I saved have had great germination rates so you won't go too far wrong.

I like your 7 pot in-particular, it looks better than mine!  Best of luck with it and let us know how you get on!

I have a old steak knife I picked up at Goodwill. I will always cut the rootball if the plant is to big for the pot. I put an x across the bottom about 2 to 3 inches deep (1 gallon pot) and 4 slices vertically down the sides about 1 inch deep. I then soak the rootball mass in Vitamin B-1 transplant fertilizer for about a minute. This helps with the plant shock. Then place it in a hole in the ground or in a larger pot. It may sit for a week, but should explode with growth.

Back