7 Pot Barrackpore

Generally I am not a huge fan of that 7 pot flavor.  I like it, but much prefer scorpion and ghost.  Until today, the exception has been 7 pot primo which I absolutely adore.  Today, I used 7 pot barrackpore in some vegetarian chili.  Bit of sour cream and shredded cheese, it was excellent.

So before i give a search to find out how it was created, I have a question. At what point is a 7 pot no longer a 7 pot?  Not trashing on that distinct 7 pot flavor, just not my favorite.  Although we call the primo a 7 Pot Primo it is a cross between Naga Morich and the original 7 pot.  My personal opinion with my personal taste buds is that the 7 pot primo does not taste like a 7 pot.  Naga Morich has some of that ghost pepper flavor.  So I think maybe I like the primo better cause it has a hint-o-ghost.  Opinions?

I am now off to google how 7 pot barrackpore was created. Willing to bet it is not all 7 pot.

Damn it.  Googled the thing and apparently the dna came as is, no crossing, from the Caribbean.  That usually means good luck on figuring how it was created.  However, despite my thinking there is a hint-o-ghost, the lineage is far removed from India where ghost pepper is generally thought to have originated.  Now questioning the path of ghost from South America to India via the Brits. Was ghost created there or was the cross originally made in south America?  Hmmmmmmm...

Ye, I know my taste buds are not very scientific.  I would so love to have a home dna set up.

I have had a friend comment that he felt there were hints of ghost pepper flavor in the Barrackpore. 

I'm with you, its a great pepper.

here you go on the history(this site is a wealth of information),
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/10767-barrackpore-7-pot/?hl=trinicoolieboy#entry208449

funny, trinicoolieboy a few years later made a request for members to send him seeds as his plant died and he ran out of seeds.

finally after several years i get to try the 7 pot barrackpore, my plant is 3 years old and has coughed up 5 pods. only 1 pod looks like it may have seeds, most likely only 4-5 seeds if i am lucky. but over the years i have burned through a full package of seeds, my seeds came from pepperlover. the plant is gigantic and amazingly overwintered for so long.

best of luck.

Burning Colon, thank you.  The photos coming from one of the original seed sources are invaluable for seed saving and trying to select right pod shapes.  From what I gathered it is a landrace that a member from Trinidad shared seeds from.  Like most landraces, that leaves me speculating based on taste.

Gotta wonder why you got such few pods from your plant.  Is it an indoor only plant that doesnt get much light?  I am very happy with the proliferation of pods, but those plants were near 6 months indoors under lights before going outside.  Kind of wondering if maybe its one of the really long season peppers and maybe it doesnt like being as far north as you are.  Starting so early indoors, I can not judge because everything kind of catches up with each other outdoors.

here you go friend, pod pics...... or should i say pot pics.

got 1 seed out of the deal. as for low production volume, i believe it is due to lack of humidity being i am part of a prairie and get very little humidity if any at all. that being said i am looking at my red douglah plant with 10 pods all the size of my thumb and ready for harvesting.

and yes, like the SR 7 pot, shared by a member from trinidad, Sara, trinicoolieboy share this version, if i remember correctly in past chats with trinicoolieboy, i think he said he found the pepper plant on his walk to work.

i met a gent from trinidad and he heard of the barrackpore hot pepper and was surprised i new about it. even more surprised when i showed him my plants gave him seed - he lives in a pepper friendly environment. he told me that growing up in trinidad, one just couldn't go to a grocery store and buy hot peppers, he said you either have to raise them yourself, find wild growing plants or go to a rural farmers market. i also gave him some red douglah both pods and seed, seeds were from pepperlover, he laughed being he was "douglah himself" - can't have a red douglah! think he said he would rename it back to red 7 pot from calgary for his reference.

before i forget, the barrrackpore has a chinense smell but pleasing, it didn't fill the surrounding area, i had to get close to get scent. the inital taste is like other red 7 pot and sweet - at first, then the heat kicks in.  i didn't eat the whole pod, i have low tolerance to hot peppers and end up crying like a baby, had a runny nose for at least a half hour. the burn went right to the throat then migrated to my lips, for the small size i tried, the heat lasted 20 minutes or so. i no longer eat whole pods, nor am i a video kind of guy but i do sample most of the peppers i grow.

Back