• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense 7 pot brain strain yellow, Scotch brain or Trinidad scorpion moruga yellow?

Hello everyone!

Like many here, I, too, suffer from pepper-related obsessive-compulsive disorder. So I'm already planning my 2022 grow (and none of my 2021 plants have their third set of leaves yet!) :D
I already have all the varieties of pepper that I like. I only need one.
I am thinking between:
- Trinidad scorpion moruga yellow
- 7 Pot Brain strain yellow
- Scotch brain

I'm looking for a pepper with an extraordinary flavor. A favorite of all.

I remember reading that 7 pot brain strain yellow and Scotch brain taste similar to Fatalii... and Trinidad scorpion moruga yellow tastes like 7P brain strain yellow ... the problem is that I remember that I didn't like Fatalii. I felt it had too much of a chinense flavor, so much so that I could hardly notice the citrus and peach undertones.
So do you think that these three peppers may taste similar to Fatalii, or perhaps they have their own flavor profile?
Thanks!

SpainChillihead said:
Hello everyone!

Like many here, I, too, suffer from pepper-related obsessive-compulsive disorder. So I'm already planning my 2022 grow (and none of my 2021 plants have their third set of leaves yet!) :D
I already have all the varieties of pepper that I like. I only need one.
I am thinking between:
- Trinidad scorpion moruga yellow
- 7 Pot Brain strain yellow
- Scotch brain

I'm looking for a pepper with an extraordinary flavor. A favorite of all.

I remember reading that 7 pot brain strain yellow and Scotch brain taste similar to Fatalii... and Trinidad scorpion moruga yellow tastes like 7P brain strain yellow ... the problem is that I remember that I didn't like Fatalii. I felt it had too much of a chinense flavor, so much so that I could hardly notice the citrus and peach undertones.
So do you think that these three peppers may taste similar to Fatalii, or perhaps they have their own flavor profile?
Thanks!

In my opinion all of these have a pretty strong chinense flavor. This is probably more of question of heat level, with the moruga being so hot I'm not sure I really taste it. I do love all three of these and am growing all three again this year but my favorite of the group is the scotch brain and I prefer the CARDI yellow scorpions to the moruga's.

PepperFish said:
In my opinion all of these have a pretty strong chinense flavor. This is probably more of question of heat level, with the moruga being so hot I'm not sure I really taste it. I do love all three of these and am growing all three again this year but my favorite of the group is the scotch brain and I prefer the CARDI yellow scorpions to the moruga's.
What's the difference between the CARDI and Moruga scorpions? Maybe it's just how mine are growing out, but the heat of the Moruga doesn't come until you stop chewing, so it's just loaded with flavour at the beginning. 

Thanks for the reply.
I've been searching the internet and you can't really find a place where there is information on the flavor profile of these peppers.

I know that taste is something very relative. First it depends on the particular genetics of each plant, then it depends on the growing conditions and finally it depends on the taste buds of each person.

Here we would all agree when describing how an apple tastes, but when someone asks us to describe the nuances there would be a great variety of opinions.

I am not enthusiastic about the combination of very strong Chinese flavor, sweet and citrus, all at the same time. I find this in the Fatalii.
Last week I decided to buy scotch brain seeds, along with other varieties. In August 2022 I will return to this thread to say that I think Scotch brain!

Greetings.

Kinda late to the party here but if you can handle the heat, you should consider trying the 7 Pot Nebru (THSC). The tropical flavors are so strong that the taste overide the pain even while your face is melting and its stays in the mouth for a looong time after the burn is gone!

Last edited:
It's never too late to join a party!
Yes, I had thought of 7 Pot Nebru. In fact, right now I'm germinating 7 Pot Nebru, 7 Pot Brainstrain yellow, Moruga yellow and Scotch brains. Perhaps the best way to stop having doubts is to try them all.
If 7 Pot Nebru is as good as some people say, I think I'm going to really enjoy it.
Thank you very much for your contribution, friend.

It's never too late to join a party!
Yes, I had thought of 7 Pot Nebru. In fact, right now I'm germinating 7 Pot Nebru, 7 Pot Brainstrain yellow, Moruga yellow and Scotch brains. Perhaps the best way to stop having doubts is to try them all.
If 7 Pot Nebru is as good as some people say, I think I'm going to really enjoy it.
Thank you very much for your contribution, friend.
Ahah you're right about the party!! As for the 7 Nebru, its still my all-time favorite yellow superhot. As a bonus, its a very good producer and the pods are big with medium-thick and crunchy walls.

I know it can be a matter of personnal perception but I found its taste to be wayyyy more tropical like than the other you mentionned, that lean more towards the classic citrusy flavor to me (have not tried the 7PBS though...). Good luck with your little experiment and the burn sessions that will come with it; don't forget to report back!

Last edited:
Kinda late to the party here but if you can handle the heat, you should consider trying the 7 Pot Nebru (THSC). The tropical flavors are so strong that the taste overide the pain even while your face is melting and its stays in the mouth for a looong time after the burn is gone!
Sounds like something I should try also...

Well... I couldn't resist and ordered some Nebru seeds from THSC. If they arrive in time I might still give them a go this season. But I know from experience that mail from Australia takes a while to get here. But even then... if it takes 4 weeks it will still only the beginning of March, should still be enough time left to grow something out.

I want to share a picture and text I posted on my Instagram last season:

7 Pot Nebru
(C.Chinense)
This big and beautiful fruit was grown by Hans in our greenhouse at Fitjar.
The 7 Pot Nebru was developed by a guy called Brian in Australia in collaboration with The Hippy Seed Company (Neil + Braian= NeBru)
It’s a cross between a 7 Pot Jonah and a Yellow Trinidad Scotch Bonnet. Two sweet and fruity varieties from Trinidad.
If I could grow only one chili, I think it would be the Scotch Bonnet. It’s so incredibly tasty, medium hot and versatile.
For some reason, I haven’t made a single post about any of the Scotch Bonnet varieties we grow this season. The Scotch Bonnets are famously from Jamaica, but there are also some closely related varieties that grow on other Caribbean Islands like Trinidad. We also grew this Trinidad Scotch Bonnet this season, but prefer the taste of the Jamaican one.
Trinidad is also the Island where you will find the origins of the different 7 Pots varieties. All are incredibly hot and tasty and are also closely related to the famous Trinidad Scorpion.
Many claims that the 7 pots got their name because one pepper is hot enough to flavor seven pots of stew. However, you will also often see people call them 7 PODS (not pots). The same logic could be applied here; «as hot as 7 ordinary chili pods». I learned from renowned grower Rob Double that when these seeds first became available in the US the name listed was: «7POD»
The 7 Pot Jonah is known to be one of the hottest of the sevens and is known to produce large red fruits.
After it was crossed with the Trinidad Yellow Scotch Bonnet, they have been selecting plants with big yellow fruits for some generations and released them under the name: 7 Pot Nebru
So let's taste one!
When cut open you could smell an amazingly sweet and tropical citrusy smell right away. You can smell both the Scotch Bonnet and the 7 Pot influence. It’s a perfect blend.
The same could be said about the taste. Tropical fruit, more on the citrusy side. Sweet and juicy. I love chilies without any bitterness and 7 Pot Nebru is a perfect example of this. So clean and tasty.
I can't wait to make a hot sauce based on this wonderful chili! We will grow more than 1 plant next year for sure
👌

253693098_276623024388848_1778163657282529547_n.jpg

This season I'm growing a few more!

Well... I couldn't resist and ordered some Nebru seeds from THSC. If they arrive in time I might still give them a go this season. But I know from experience that mail from Australia takes a while to get here. But even then... if it takes 4 weeks it will still only the beginning of March, should still be enough time left to grow something out.

It's always preferable to obtain the seeds from the original source, but If you want to start with Nebru earlier and manage two different fonts, in Belgium you've an online store that sells them badskinsgarden.be. You also have another store in Croatia, croatianseeds-store.com, which sells Nebru.

My seeds are from THSC, it took about 5 weeks to arrive, but I'm much further away than you.

I want to share a picture and text I posted on my Instagram last season:

7 Pot Nebru
(C.Chinense)
This big and beautiful fruit was grown by Hans in our greenhouse at Fitjar.
The 7 Pot Nebru was developed by a guy called Brian in Australia in collaboration with The Hippy Seed Company (Neil + Braian= NeBru)
It’s a cross between a 7 Pot Jonah and a Yellow Trinidad Scotch Bonnet. Two sweet and fruity varieties from Trinidad.
If I could grow only one chili, I think it would be the Scotch Bonnet. It’s so incredibly tasty, medium hot and versatile.
For some reason, I haven’t made a single post about any of the Scotch Bonnet varieties we grow this season. The Scotch Bonnets are famously from Jamaica, but there are also some closely related varieties that grow on other Caribbean Islands like Trinidad. We also grew this Trinidad Scotch Bonnet this season, but prefer the taste of the Jamaican one.
Trinidad is also the Island where you will find the origins of the different 7 Pots varieties. All are incredibly hot and tasty and are also closely related to the famous Trinidad Scorpion.
Many claims that the 7 pots got their name because one pepper is hot enough to flavor seven pots of stew. However, you will also often see people call them 7 PODS (not pots). The same logic could be applied here; «as hot as 7 ordinary chili pods». I learned from renowned grower Rob Double that when these seeds first became available in the US the name listed was: «7POD»
The 7 Pot Jonah is known to be one of the hottest of the sevens and is known to produce large red fruits.
After it was crossed with the Trinidad Yellow Scotch Bonnet, they have been selecting plants with big yellow fruits for some generations and released them under the name: 7 Pot Nebru
So let's taste one!
When cut open you could smell an amazingly sweet and tropical citrusy smell right away. You can smell both the Scotch Bonnet and the 7 Pot influence. It’s a perfect blend.
The same could be said about the taste. Tropical fruit, more on the citrusy side. Sweet and juicy. I love chilies without any bitterness and 7 Pot Nebru is a perfect example of this. So clean and tasty.
I can't wait to make a hot sauce based on this wonderful chili! We will grow more than 1 plant next year for sure
👌

253693098_276623024388848_1778163657282529547_n.jpg

This season I'm growing a few more!

Wow Anders, what a good contribution, these interventions seem wonderful to me.
Thank you very much for all the information, above all the information of the personal experience that you contribute is appreciated.

Thank you.

It's always preferable to obtain the seeds from the original source, but If you want to start with Nebru earlier and manage two different fonts, in Belgium you've an online store that sells them badskinsgarden.be. You also have another store in Croatia, croatianseeds-store.com, which sells Nebru.

My seeds are from THSC, it took about 5 weeks to arrive, but I'm much further away than you.
Thats also how I see things. Original is best 🙂

Before corona it usually took about 2 weeks to receive seeds from THSC but my recent order took quite a bit longer. But that was around the christmas holidays, which will also have delayed shipment a bit...

@MarcV soon you'll have your 7 Pot Nebru like the ones in my photo, or better, I'm sure. THSC seeds have very good quality. Also, in Nebru I can see that vigor of the hybrid varieties.
IMG_20220226_101701.jpg

Finally, my Trinidad scorpion moruga yellow seeds didn't germinate. From a packet of 15 seeds, none germinated. I'll have to buy from another supplier next year.
The same thing happened with the 7 Pot Brainstrain yellow seed packet. Luckily I ordered two packs of this one and I am trying again now.
I'll see if I'm lucky.
The rest of the varieties are doing well.

Good luck to all growers!

Cheers.

I hope so! 😁 At this moment the only have a couple papa dreadie seedlings...
Where do you normally obtain your seeds from? I'd guess Semillas based on your location...

Back