7-pot douglah vs 7-pot brown

Hard to know if these are different strains, or different sizes of the same strains. I`d go with the former. I know douglahs get larger than this one, but just a quick comparison photo. I`ll do a comparison tasting video later today and let you know :fireball:

Brown 7-pot is the really big pod, douglah the smaller.

Thanks to Romy6 for the douglah, ghostpepperstore.com for the brown 7-pot. I have a bag of douglahs in the freezer (well over 100) and this shape is typical, but size is slightly smaller than is typical, but not by much. The colour difference is not a distinguishing factor. 

Douglah Red? Isn`t that like saying it`s a Black Blue? Ok, scratch that, it must be the colour it makes your insides go as you eat it :-)

The few red douglah photos I`ve seen have been of pretty large beasts! How does the taste compare to the brown version?

Not sure yet Nigel, only been off the plant for about 30 minutes. This is my first round of ripe pods and I need to give it some photo treatment ;) So, is the 7 Pot Trinidad Douglah red by default and yours in a brown version? 

I did a quick search in the innerwebs and see Douglah should be brown but there is something call the 7 Pot Trinidad Douglah that turns red and is "offspring" we shall see...

Ah, first time growing those. Looking forward to the photos. I hope the pods are delicious! And hot!!!

I was just joking (badly), as "douglah" means a person of mixed race in Trinidad - African/Indian/South American tribes etc. i.e. brown skinned. 7-pot douglah is a literally a 7-pot with brown skin. 

I`m interested in this because I`ve been trying some douglah x Butch T (F4) and had both a brown one and a red one. The brown one was the hottest thing I`ve ever eaten, but had some in initial bitterness to it. The red one tasted much better, but wasn`t nearly as hot. I have seeds from both sown, but nothing has popped yet. I knew that there was a red douglah, but I didn`t get seeds this year, just the normal brown one. Out of the ones with red and brown versions I usually prefer the flavour of the red ones, but often the brown ones are hotter. Not always, but generally.

More representative photo. I took 3 douglah pods out of the freezer. These were grown by Pepperproblem.

Nigel, the douglahs you have are pretty close to the same size mine are, they are half the size of my 7 Pot browns. I couldn't tell a difference in heat or taste, but they were both too hot for me to taste much of anything, I don't have the palette for it like you. Definitely not the same variety in my opinion, though I initially thought they were the same.

Have fun with it, by the way, I think you are in for a ride.

I'll post my real shots in my GLOG but here it is....7 Pot Trinidad Douglah

579551_10200146169801363_1566924403_n.jpg

In the West Indies "Dougla" is used to describe people of Indo or Afro-Trinidadian descent. It has a few meanings and in the gardening circles I have always seen it with the "h" added. In India it seems to be more insulting.

I did some research awhile back and found a lot of information,most of it made it even more confusing about where these super hot chinense originated. India? West Indies? Really cool stuff to read into,but takes some serious searching.

Was suggested to me to let my Douglahs fully ripen to their chestnut/auburn color. Definitely increases flavor,which I am a fan of. I know a lot of people don't like them. There are a couple different "red" ones floating around and some of the vendors are selling them. I know pepperlover had some photos up awhile ago showing the differences between the choco/brown 7 and the Douglah.
edit: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/17909-douglah-vs-7pod-brown/?p=380016&hl=+douglah%20+brown%20+7pod&fromsearch=1#entry380016

Back