• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

7 Pot/Pod Douglah x Butch T

Hey All,

I was very fortunate to run into JudoHero, here on the forums. He sent me some seed and a couple of fresh pods. One of them being the 7 Pot/Pod Douglah x Butch T, the other a 7 Pot/Pod Brain Strain (Yellow). I did a video review of both, but I wanted to get a general approximation of scoville units on both. I know it isn't accurate, but I like to use it for the reference.

Thanks!

Is the Douglah x Butch T an f1 hybrid? You may be able to get an accurate SHU of the f1, but after that every plant will be quite different(including heat levels) until stabalized

Is the Douglah x Butch T an f1 hybrid? You may be able to get an accurate SHU of the f1, but after that every plant will be quite different(including heat levels) until stabalized

I'm guessing it is, but I'll have to ask JudoHero. Here is what I found as an approximate scoville for each pepper separately:

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T – 1,463,700 SHU
7 Pod Douglah (7 pot Douglah, Chocolate 7 Pod) – 1,853,936 SHU

I don't know for sure if it works this way, but if I average that out it comes to approximately 1,600,000 SHU. Of course on my scale, it averages out to "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I CAN'T FEEL MY FACE" SHU's. :)

Now remember though, those are not averages. Those are the max that was recorded in the tests. Averages are going to be closer to 1.2 million for both (the Butch T average from the CPI study is questionably low IMO) of those peppers. Either way, they are scorchers by themselves.

Now remember though, those are not averages. Those are the max that was recorded in the tests. Averages are going to be closer to 1.2 million for both (the Butch T average from the CPI study is questionably low IMO) of those peppers. Either way, they are scorchers by themselves.

So, maybe a range between 1,200,000 and 1,600,000 might be valid enough for a reference?

Yea, in this case I wish it were that simple. Those numbers are the highest recorded samples. The pods on a a given plant can vary drastically in heat, shape, and even color.

Then you add in the cross and that can drop the numbers as well. Then each generation can vary.
You almost have to have it tested at each step to be sure.

One thing is for sure though, it will be pretty warm. :)

Yea, in this case I wish it were that simple. Those numbers are the highest recorded samples. The pods on a a given plant can vary drastically in heat, shape, and even color.

Then you add in the cross and that can drop the numbers as well. Then each generation can vary.
You almost have to have it tested at each step to be sure.

One thing is for sure though, it will be pretty warm. :)

Good points all. I really should just rate them on a different scale of either 1-10 on heat or Mild to "I SEE GOD" scale.

You know, The ButchT from last season, the Jonah from this season, and the 7 Pot Brown from this season top my list.

But I gotta tell you, I ate a 7 pot original strain (SR) last night with dinner, and it was pretty rough.

There comes a point where, hot is hot. I tried to do the 1-10 thing, but I was always shifting, because, if this one was a 10, then how is this one not an 11?? So I now kind of lump them into categories. I am gonna try the 7 pot Savannah pretty soon, and from what I hear, it is brutal. I also have a few lined up (a Billy Boy Douglah and Billy Boy Jonah, as well as a few hybrids) that I have already stuck TP in the freezer for!

You know, The ButchT from last season, the Jonah from this season, and the 7 Pot Brown from this season top my list.

But I gotta tell you, I ate a 7 pot original strain (SR) last night with dinner, and it was pretty rough.

There comes a point where, hot is hot. I tried to do the 1-10 thing, but I was always shifting, because, if this one was a 10, then how is this one not an 11?? So I now kind of lump them into categories. I am gonna try the 7 pot Savannah pretty soon, and from what I hear, it is brutal. I also have a few lined up (a Billy Boy Douglah and Billy Boy Jonah, as well as a few hybrids) that I have already stuck TP in the freezer for!

Nice. That makes sense. It does seem like it would be tough to rate them, unless you've made a few rounds and eaten them more than once. Sounds like you are lined up to see God real soon. :)

Haha. I'm still a noob, so these two were my first two super hots. The Douglah x Butch T is crazy hot. What is the hottest one you've reviewed?

I don't swallow the pods because I dont like the stomach pain and i dont have mylanta on hand atm, but the hottest ive reviewed is a red bhut from my plant. Hotter than the chocolate bhut, yellow 7, and dorset naga ive gotten from someone else.

Just to compare the heat of several pods I have a good receipe:

Select ripe, good normal sized pods 2-3 of each variety you want to test

weight them after you removed the stems

blend each variety by adding 20 times (per weight) of milk until you do not see course parts of flesh

Then taste with a coffee spoon and drink some milk between each test and wait until the heat of the first test declines
If you are not sure what variety is the hottest, repeat in other direction or delute the milk-pepper shake 1:5 with milk and then test

I did it with some superhots:

Sorry, the video is in german language, but I think most is self explaining.

Results were:

first: morouga blend
second: chocolate bhut
third: butch t

To your initial question:

hibridization doesnt follow mathematical rules

So SCU 1.400.000 crossed with SCU 1.000.000 does not give a mean value or anything else you meight predict.

If the hibridization effects (amplifies) the genes responsible for synthesis of capsaicin you could make a much hotter cross
If not, the cross could stick at the same heat the parent have, or you may loose heat as well.

Thanks god, that so far I know, nobody is working on genetic ingenering of much hotter types, it would be a nightmare.

Peter

I don't believe the f1s can be hotter than either parent since they take on dominant features of parents, but I certainly could be wrong.

I don't believe the f1s can be hotter than either parent since they take on dominant features of parents, but I certainly could be wrong.

Capsaicin is a secondary metabolite and it´s concentration in the pods follows regulation mechanisms so far not understood in detail.

As most (if not all) of the super hot peppers we are deeling with, are heterocygotes and show up a broad band of capsaicin expression (see the morouga report), I think every surprise is possible.

Peter

Back