• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

7 Pot/Pod

Ok this is probably a really stupid question and I think I know the answer, but I am a newbie to 7 pot/pod....but are they one in the same? I hear them called 7 Pod and I hear them called 7 Pod..why the two different names?

i think the idea is that they're so hot that one pod is enough to heat up 7 pots of stew. i might be wrong but i seem to remember reading that somewhere. are you have trouble germinating them? i planted close to 15 yellow 7 pods 3 weeks ago and only 1 has sprouted so far

i think the idea is that they're so hot that one pod is enough to heat up 7 pots of stew. i might be wrong but i seem to remember reading that somewhere. are you have trouble germinating them? i planted close to 15 yellow 7 pods 3 weeks ago and only 1 has sprouted so far

Not yet..just planted. Yea I heard that same thing and have always called them 7 "pot"..but starting to hear "pod" a lot more.

for such a popular pepper(amongst chiliheads) you would think a large seed company would offer such an item, i think if that ever happened we would see a standardized name.

the only 7's that i have had any issues with are the douglah, the barrackpore in both soil and rockwool germinated and look extremely healthy. yellow 7's look nice also but i am just surprised on how large the leaves are on the barracks. i believe they all germinated within 2 weeks, i would have to check my notes.

I used to call them 7 Pot and have heard the same story that aram mentioned. However a while back PRF mentioned something about doing a bit of research and finding that they are correctly called 7 Pod.

Cardi(Caribbean agricultural research and development institute) calls the Trinidad landrace type a 7 pod so I go with that.
As far as I know it was one post on another forum around 2005 that started the whole "7 pots of stew" theory which everyone seems to like

I believe PRF calls them how they are labelled and not necessarily 7 pod
Here's another thread on the same topic
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/17546-7-pot-or-7-pod/page__

I like the 7 pot story best even if it is a myth (or not). Named cause its hot enough to heat 7 pots, fits the caribbean theme and paints a good picture when describing it too.

the only 7's that i have had any issues with are the douglah
I completely agree, the Douglah is a bugger to get germinated, last year out of 12 seeds only half germinated and only half of those reached maturity.

This year I have 24 seeds planted (2 seeds per hole for increased hope of success) and 3 weeks later still nothing up, but I dont think it is my technique as they are in the same 48 cup tray that my bhuts, TS Red and CARDI's are in and I have gotten all 3 of those to start germing up.

the Douglah is a bugger to get germinated

all mine germinated in a timely manner within 25 days, but the seed caps just didn't want to release, 1 rotted right a the cap, another shed the cap but is only the size of a pin head, the other i gentlely snipped around the edges of the cap and finally it freed itself - that plant now has several leaves.

Plus, "7 Pod" to me sounds like something that those aliens launch into our cities before eating our flesh and using our brains as CPUs in their evil spaceships of evilness.

Back