• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7 Pots & Scotch Bonnets (2018- )

Walchit said:
Did you add vermiculite when you potted up too? Vermiculite holds a ton of water

No vermiculite. The potting mix is coir, compost, perlite, and fertilizer (composted poultry manure, feather meal, sulfate of potash).
Not much perlite, and it's not coarse grade. I think they were not using much water in cool conditions under weak light.

Hey thanks Dog. It's all gravy down here. Fairly steady at 65-85F. They're all flowering and starting to set fruit; each at their own pace. I've noticed some stretch. There's been some blossom drop too. I just started giving them espoma garden tone 3-4-4. Still feeding full strength fish and seaweed 2-3-1 whenever they dry out. And they get tm-7 foliar once a week. I might start a compost tea on sunday. It's supposed to cool off some. I'll post up pictures tomorrow.

7 pot yellow
Uw55Utt.jpg

devil's tongue
W0GbrsN.jpg

goat
wccEtvs.jpg

bonda ma jacques, bbg7, sb moa
DsbQoOv.jpg

v82kMMl.jpg

FkdisT6.jpg

Plants are looking great, West, and podding up nicely.  Your 7Pot pods really have a good crinkle to them.  Great to see the D Naga.  Used to be a staple of my grow and was consistently a strong performer.  Doesn't seem to get the props it might deserve.  

Keep up the good! 

Got what's supposed to be a 7 pot barrackpore yellow that's throwing red pods.
February 22 is the first date I have a picture of the mature pod. 5 days ago, It started by ripening orange near the calyx and then quickly went red. I have a number of those type of plant. A few have similar looking pods, but there's some variation and they aren't ripe yet.  
I'll get some pictures up. Maybe some will be yellow.
The 7 pot yellow has large pods that started going yellow. Also beginning along the top but taking longer to fully mature. 
The Bonda Ma Jacques pods have some purple sunburn. The leaves on one in particular have shown it, since they went outside over a month ago. I have another that has been in the ground longer and has really branched out and has darker colored pods that don't look purple and so far the pods look fully shaped, more like mature green BMJ.

This is a peach bhut seedling with 3-4 sets of true leaves. Its stem is only about an inch tall. The roots are about 6 inches long.
10 like this were inoculated with mykos wp. Moved from half pints to 1 L foam cups.
JNy94gT.jpg

My first ripe pod.
ivCJNMK.jpg

That's a 7 pot barrackpore I ate with a pizza. 
K0uHSkv.jpg

Mr. West said:
This is a peach bhut seedling with 3-4 sets of true leaves. Its stem is only about an inch tall. The roots are about 6 inches long.
10 like this were inoculated with mykos wp. Moved from half pints to 1 L foam cups.
JNy94gT.jpg

My first ripe pod.
ivCJNMK.jpg

That's a 7 pot barrackpore I ate with a pizza. 
K0uHSkv.jpg

Lookin good Mr. West, Im rootin for ya. Nice seedlings.

Yesterday, I potted up 10 seedlings from half pints to 1 L foam cups. 
3 Peach Bhut, 2 Beth Boyd, 2 Alan Boatman, Schneider Farms, BOC x Brain Strain, BOC
The media is approximately half burpee premium organic growing mix and the other half is reused organic potting mixes which were about 50/50 amended with perlite. Also, I added worm castings to the planting holes and misted them in, shaped the hole deeper and with firmer walls, then repeated. Because the media was not wet enough to hold together, moistening it with ewc makes it more shapable. It also serves to wet the area immediately surrounding the transplants' roots so that I didn't have to water-in immediately. Also, the castings provide slow-release N and much like compost, cause the soil to retain moisture. 

Basically, they got the same treatment as the Scotch Brains I potted up to a half gallon. Except, that one had ewc mixed into the backfill soil. Also, it was watered-in and got orchid bark around the crown. Some growers do this with bonchi, having the shallow/exposed roots splayed out across a rock and all that. I just want to keep the tillers healthy and anchored in the soil. I used a garden tie to stabilize and fasten it to the pot's edge. I was not meaning to repot like this, but the roots were long. 
I've also heard of burying plants stalks deep, in order to grow adventitious lateral roots. I haven't tried that much, because I don't want to risk pathogens. I like to let the topsoil dry out, but I might lightly mist this one until the roots take hold. Then I'll probably mound more organic matter around the rootball.

I'm pretty happy with the root development at the time of this pot up. It's the first inoculation for these, other than AACT.

Today it's 2 Boatman Bonnets
solo cup > 1 gal. smart pots
I didn't incorporate the ewc into these.
I just top-dressed the fertilizer after watering in with half strength fish and seaweed formula.
I inoculated them the same and used the same potting mix blend. 
I'm going to mulch with bark and sphagnum too.

Back