• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

frutescens 7pot/pod x C. frutescens by JungleRain

Hi all!

I've received seeds for this variety the past season from JungleRain around July and started them immediatly.
After overwintering a plant (and started another for backup :) ) i've finally harvested first pods, it was a long trip!
This was the description of this cross by Grant:

"this cross is amazing..the second it touches your lips there is an extreme stinging pain, like having your tongue cut with a knife, (seriously hot not the same as a superhot but just as painful)"

Let's start with some pics:

Flower:

Immature pod:

Maturing pod:

Harvested pods (2 different plants, looking pretty close):

Pods cut open:

When cut open the pod has a strong capsaicin smell but no real fruit/sweet/floral scent. Just a mild peppery.
I've taked a little slice, it has a sudden and upfront burn like putting a knife on your tongue. The funny thing is that, differently from other frutescens i've tried, the burn stays there for a while and does not fade quickly. It builds to a very good level with a little throat burn also.
I would say extremely hot but not superhot
The flavor is pretty "dry" / neutral so it surely works great for thai cooking (think of a thai pepper on steroids).
The plants grow very very strong (5-6 ft tall in big containers for me, very thick stem) and produce a lot but are a little slow to ripen.
Considering i'm very limited in space i don't know if i'm gonna growing it in the next years (until i move LOL).

All in all a very good cross if you, like me, don't like overpowering chinense taste/smell at all.
It reminds me a little of Lotah Bih flavor-wise but surely packs more punch and bigger pods.
My quest for non-chinense tasting superhots goes on! :)

Cya

Datil

Dulac said:
That's a very interesting cross!
Indeed!
I'd like to find and grow more superhot x frutescens/annuum crosses.
I'm aware of two different naga x tabasco crosses (one from THSC called Tabanaga) and a Tepin x Reaper.
There are probably a ton more from home breeders (i'll probably try my own at some point...).

Cya

Datil

Great review Datil
did you notice how easy the pods come away from the stems?
I have quite a few C. Frutescen and Frutescen Hybrids growing this season, however they are all only seedlings at the moment

JungleRain said:
Great review Datil
did you notice how easy the pods come away from the stems?
I have quite a few C. Frutescen and Frutescen Hybrids growing this season, however they are all only seedlings at the moment

Thank you Grant!
The easy detachement from stem is another great trait of this cross. This and the low seeds count make the pods very easy to process.
Glad to hear you're working on other frutescens crosses, i would be surely interested in growing some!

Cya

Datil

I keep coming back and looking at this pepper. It looks like a Fresno from the outside, but I love the intimidating look of the inside. This is a beautiful pepper. The sound of the heat reminds me of a Fatalii burn. I love it ! Nice work, Datil! And great cross, JungleRain!

Bhuter said:
I keep coming back and looking at this pepper. It looks like a Fresno from the outside, but I love the intimidating look of the inside. This is a beautiful pepper. The sound of the heat reminds me of a Fatalii burn. I love it ! Nice work, Datil! And great cross, JungleRain!
Thanks Bhuter!

Datil

mlh5953 said:
Excellent review and photos Datil.
Beautiful pods too. How big are they?
Thanks!
There is some variation, anyway typical pods are around 2 x 4 cm (0.8 x 1.6 inches). Small but deadly ;)

Cya

Datil

They look nice and meaty. 
I was wondering if they were big enough to stuff a little cheese into for poppers. Maybe  :)

Back