• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles 800-1200 scoville range

Hello all, it has been a while since I hung out on the forums, been busy with school work. I haven't grown my own plants in a few years but going to set up my lights again this year and grow some mild peppers for my parents garden.

I would love if some of you could recommend a few types of jalapeno, cherry pepper, or other thick walled types that aren't very hot. Also a good source to buy those seeds from, so I don't end up with some random pepper that was falsely advertised.

Ty all for any help!

How about some Big Jim Hatch? Make green sauce, stuff em, roast em. Make hot sauce, salsa.

Yeah I will grow hatch eventually when I am done with school, but my parents want less heat. They tried Tam's Jalapeno's but they were too hot for them lol. They like the taste of jalapeno's but just a touch of heat. My mom pickles them to use for nacho's, burgers, etc....

I see! Grow the heatless jalapeno.

You could pickle it with a couple dried cayennes in the jar to add just a little heat to the jalapeno slices!

I think some of these might be good for you. We grow almost all of these every year: Tekne Dolmasi, Aji Rosita Dulce Red, NuMex Lemon Spice or Pumpkin Spice, the NuMex Suaves, NuMex Big Jim or Hatch Mild or Giuzeppi (seeds from Solar Dry Farms), Poblanos, Stuffing Scotch Bonnet, CAP455, Shishitos, NuMex Trick or Treat Habanero. All are good and worth growing depending on your application. Check out John @ MWC (above) and the Chili Pepper Institute at New Mexico State for seeds. https://cpi.nmsu.edu/.

I think some of these might be good for you. We grow almost all of these every year: Tekne Dolmasi, Aji Rosita Dulce Red, NuMex Lemon Spice or Pumpkin Spice, the NuMex Suaves, NuMex Big Jim or Hatch Mild or Giuzeppi (seeds from Solar Dry Farms), Poblanos, Stuffing Scotch Bonnet, CAP455, Shishitos, NuMex Trick or Treat Habanero. All are good and worth growing depending on your application. Check out John @ MWC (above) and the Chili Pepper Institute at New Mexico State for seeds. https://cpi.nmsu.edu/.
I already grow Shishito's for my parents, I'm not a fan but they love them for snacking. I am going to grow some scotch bonnets again this year, purely for making Jerk chicken or ribs and giving excess away to friends that enjoy hot peppers. I also plan on looking for some sort of thick walled cherry pepper to give a go this year too, mild heat like 1500 max scovilles, then probably stuff with cream cheese for a bonus to salads, or pickle some to use on pizza's or sandwiches.

I canned some bread and butter pickles a few years ago with scotch bonnets cut in half and put into the mix. Too hot for me lol, but a coworker loved them.

I already grow Shishito's for my parents, I'm not a fan but they love them for snacking. I am going to grow some scotch bonnets again this year, purely for making Jerk chicken or ribs and giving excess away to friends that enjoy hot peppers. I also plan on looking for some sort of thick walled cherry pepper to give a go this year too, mild heat like 1500 max scovilles, then probably stuff with cream cheese for a bonus to salads, or pickle some to use on pizza's or sandwiches.

I canned some bread and butter pickles a few years ago with scotch bonnets cut in half and put into the mix. Too hot for me lol, but a coworker loved them.
Try the Stuffing Scotch Bonnet. No heat with the Scotch Bonnet flavor.

Last edited:
@salsalady his mom likes to pickle jalapeno slices but does not like the heat. What do you think of pickling the no-heat version and adding a drop or two of Pure Evil? The lower SHU one. One drop per 12 ounces of liquid, for example, what SHU would the liquid end up being?

I use some dried Numex Orange Spice to zip up the vinegar when using really mild jalapenos. I have a bunch sliced and dried. Just pour hot vinegar over them and let it rest a while. Strain and use that vinegar for milder Jalas. 2-3 dried Orange Spice pods sliced into rings makes a really noticeable increase in heat.

I grew a bunch of Numex Suave red this year and mine were nearly heatless but a nice flavor. Habanada were about the same heat. Nearly none. Antep Aci Dolma while they can get jala heat level or hotter are mostly a little milder. I grew a bunch of them too this year. Wonderful flavor. Best bell out there if you want some heat. Tekne Dolmasi is better if you want no heat and great flavor. Pods get massive too.

Last edited:
Back