chinense A Carolina Reaper ?

Hello TheHotPepper,

I am new here and don't quite know how I could have searched this answer out. So I went to the official creator of the Carolina Reaper and see a note I must agree to about ever using these seeds to ever make a profit. I may some day want to make my new hobby a small business. That is if my semi green thumb works some magic for me and I retire early in about 3 to 4 years and I can grow enough hot peppers for my local market which is southeast Pennsylvania. I may move to Kentucky for my retirement too. Who knows?

Can anyone tell me what is up with this. I do also plan on emailing or calling the owner of the rights to this seed to see what his royalties would be.

Thank you for your help.

Jabski

There are LOTS of peppers to grow other than Reapers. If you're thinking of growing peppers for a local market, I don't think there will be a line to buy Reapers. You'll have to head down the Scoville directory a bunch to have peppers most people will enjoy. Think Ajis, or Brazilian Starfish, or several others of that type that are really tasty, not face ripping hot, but not commercially grown or offered in most stores.

Besides, don't call them "Carolina Reapers" and you shouldn't have a problem anyway. "Reaper" alone suffices these days.

Well, first, there's other hot peppers besides the CR, and there's no need to pay royalties on those peppers. As for the Reaper itself, you can send an email or call Ed Currie and see if you can get him to agree to let you sell them. As long as you keep it fairly small, then he will, by and large, be OK with it. I did so, and he gave me his blessing. His only condition is that you don't grow thousands of the plants, but as long as you keep it small like I said, then he should be OK with it, especially if you sell it under the generic name of "Carolina Reaper"

Wicked Mike said:
Lots of people are selling them. The name is trademarked, not the pepper. That's why you'll see them sold as "The Reaper," or something like that, as opposed to "Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper."
Thank you that sounds like the plan.
Naga Chomper said:
There are LOTS of peppers to grow other than Reapers. If you're thinking of growing peppers for a local market, I don't think there will be a line to buy Reapers. You'll have to head down the Scoville directory a bunch to have peppers most people will enjoy. Think Ajis, or Brazilian Starfish, or several others of that type that are really tasty, not face ripping hot, but not commercially grown or offered in most stores.

Besides, don't call them "Carolina Reapers" and you shouldn't have a problem anyway. "Reaper" alone suffices these days.
I guess I'm caught up in the hottest pepper ever thing. Your right only the most daring or seasoned pepper fans would want the Reapers. I will look into the Ajis and Brazilian Starfish. They probably would be perfect for me because right now I am only able to handle up to the Habs as a dried ground up powder for my food. And I don't use a lot yet.
Thanks
SadisticPeppers said:
Well, first, there's other hot peppers besides the CR, and there's no need to pay royalties on those peppers. As for the Reaper itself, you can send an email or call Ed Currie and see if you can get him to agree to let you sell them. As long as you keep it fairly small, then he will, by and large, be OK with it. I did so, and he gave me his blessing. His only condition is that you don't grow thousands of the plants, but as long as you keep it small like I said, then he should be OK with it, especially if you sell it under the generic name of "Carolina Reaper"
Thank you for all that information! I will be buying some stuff from you this year, well I'm going to try to buy some stuff from everyone on here who has stuff for sale because I love hot and spicy and always and on everything.
RedtailForester said:
Hello Jabski from a fellow Pennsyl-tuckian. I, for one, am someone who did make a small business out of my hobby. My suggestion is to grow as many varieties as you can (it's addictive) and then you will find your favorites. Have fun with it and welcome to THP!
I see your from the 717, my born into area code. Yes a fellow Pennsly-tuckian for sure. I will be buying some stuff from you for sure. And thank you for the info.

Jabski said:
Thank you for all that information! I will be buying some stuff from you this year, well I'm going to try to buy some stuff from everyone on here who has stuff for sale because I love hot and spicy and always and on everything.

You're very welcome! Feel free and check my stuff out at any time :)

When the original seeds were distributed, they didn't have that restriction for people to sign off on. There are plenty of people selling seeds and plants that never signed or promised anything. There is the trademark thing, but you can get good genetics out there without having to sign off on anything. Just one example, Refining Chili's has plants for sale without any restrictions. There are people selling seeds at half the price that won't make you sign anything. There is even a guy on EBay selling seeds, but I don't know anything about his reliability.

Naga Chomper said:

Intelligence is a beautiful thing.
What I'm excited about this season: Rain Forest, Kaleidoscope, and other less-common baccatums, wilds, sweet chinenses, and anything I don't have yet.
cycadjungle said:
When the original seeds were distributed, they didn't have that restriction for people to sign off on. There are plenty of people selling seeds and plants that never signed or promised anything. There is the trademark thing, but you can get good genetics out there without having to sign off on anything. Just one example, Refining Chili's has plants for sale without any restrictions. There are people selling seeds at half the price that won't make you sign anything. There is even a guy on EBay selling seeds, but I don't know anything about his reliability.
Mostly agreed. Requiring that someone click on a button agreeing that they won't resell or distribute, however, is generally a bluff. It's usually not worth litigating.

I'm so tired of all the misinformation going round about Carolina Reaper. I'm not a lawyer, but the following information can be easily found. There are three different type of "IP" with their owns laws that may apply here; trademark, patent and copyright.

There is no trademark on "Carolina Reaper" but there is one on "Smokin Ed's Carolina Reaper." To get that trademark, the owner had to disavow any claim to "Carolina Reaper" as it is the variety name of a plant. Plant names can not be trademarked. So you are free to call them "Carolina Reapers"

There is no Plant Patent for "Carolina Reaper."

Copyright law does not apply to seeds.

So none of the IP laws apply here. The contract, if you agree to it, only applies to the seller and the buyer. If you buy or get seeds from someone else who does not make you agree to those terms, then they don't apply to you. There are plenty of sellers without any such terms.

Now, none of the above means that someone can't have a lawyer send you a threatening letter. The question is, can they win in a court of law? Highly doubtful.  Still, they could try. But any lawyer worth paying shouldn't take such a case to court. But you may have to get a lawyer to defend you if they are stupid enough to try.

Take it all for what it is. I am not a lawyer and this is just my opinion based on my research of the trademark registration and checking the Plant Patent database.

Agree that the c.baccatums are possibly more practical.  They're attractive, easy to grow, prolific as heck, tasty, crunchy, and come in a variety of heat levels.  You'd think they'd be a popular treat, but they're dang near impossible to find.

Get a booth at the local organic / somewhat upscale market (not too snooty) and hand out freebie samples.  You're sure to find a few buyers.

Aji Omnicolor are tasty, and the wild colors will attract customers. (Pick a few before they reach full maturity, they will still be quite edible.)  Brazilian Starfish is also unique looking and very yummy.  A.Pineapple is supposed to be even better than Limon, lacking the slightly funny  'soap' taste.   There are several dozen more, all with their own traits.

Here's a list of many, with a short description: http://www.semillas.de/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi?shop=&keywords=Capsicum%20baccatum&cart_id=2569865.4611

IMO, start with growing something YOU will like, then worry about making your first million. :)  (SHUs that is!)  :fire:

I'm not necessarily replying to this topic, per se, but I wanted to let you guys know that it prompted me to go out back to my Aji Pineapple plant and munch on a few of them.

Reapers are cool and all, but like many others have said there are far more interesting strains out there than those.  I honestly don't even think they're the hottest out there, there are way too many new and unstable strains that haven't even been tested yet.  Some of the chocolate strains coming out are bound to blow it out of the water.  Personally I think primos are hotter, but nothing builds quite like a damned Moruga.

Grow 'em all!

Geonerd said:
Agree that the c.baccatums are possibly more practical.  They're attractive, easy to grow, prolific as heck, tasty, crunchy, and come in a variety of heat levels.  You'd think they'd be a popular treat, but they're dang near impossible to find.

Get a booth at the local organic / somewhat upscale market (not too snooty) and hand out freebie samples.  You're sure to find a few buyers.

Aji Omnicolor are tasty, and the wild colors will attract customers. (Pick a few before they reach full maturity, they will still be quite edible.)  Brazilian Starfish is also unique looking and very yummy.  A.Pineapple is supposed to be even better than Limon, lacking the slightly funny  'soap' taste.   There are several dozen more, all with their own traits.

Here's a list of many, with a short description: http://www.semillas.de/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi?shop=&keywords=Capsicum%20baccatum&cart_id=2569865.4611

IMO, start with growing something YOU will like, then worry about making your first million. :)  (SHUs that is!)  :fire:
Geonerd thank you so much for that link. I haven't replied to this post since then becausevI've been looking over and over and over at all those choices. I could easily pick 100 packs of seeds. I don't know how I'm going to ever pick say 10 to 15.
Geonerd said:
New Mexico style peppers are popular for a good reason.
How common are they in Pennsylvania?
If rare, there might be a good market for pods from these varieties:

(Most on this page) http://www.sandiaseed.com/mildmed.html
(And a few of these) http://www.sandiaseed.com/hotvery.html
And thanks for this link too. I will be buying some of these as well. Way to much fun here.

You say you have a few years before you would be setting up stand...  grow a few different each year and make notes on which had the qualities you would want (for you personally, and to sell).  Chances are there may be a difference between the two, and you may have to lean one way or the other when it is time to set up shop.

See if you can find out what heat level sells in the area you are looking to set up shop.  The find different varieties around that level - some hotter, some milder.  See if you can find prolific producers, early season peppers that fill the bill.  That would give you a good base for the stand.  Then you can rotate out other varieties of rarer peppers or specialty peppers based on what the folks who buy from you want.  You may find you have some pepperheads that have no place to get their supers fresh (or a college frat house :) ) and want to plant a couple reapers or the like.

My current grow has a mix... some sweet hungarian stuffing peppers, mild italian roasters, ethiopian brown, dragon's claw, chiltepin, pimiento de padron, pepperocini, reaper, cabai burong, sport and a couple others.  This is for me and neighbors, and meets most of my moods LOL.  The cabai burong are the most prolific and earliest season ones I have from what I have seen this year, and will definitely be on the list next as well.

Back