• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A Chili Sauce to Crow About

We always called it "Cock Sauce" cause it sounded funny, but a buddy of mine calles it Hanoi Ketchup! It truly is like chilehead ketchup. Nice little burn, but not really that hot at all, and has a great sweet flavor. I put the stuff on everything, even crackers.

I just got a bottle of this stuff. I've seen it before but never tried it. After I read the article, I decided to give it a shot. It is very tasty! I've been putting a gob of it on Pepper and Olive oil Triscuts with a slice of cheese and jalapeno. You can actually taste the triscut, cheese and jalapeno. It doesn't overpower anything.

Sickmont said:
Sriracha is so good it will actually make cheap/crappy beer taste better too.

I'm going to give it a shot too!

damned cheap too! Its replaced ketchup in my cupboard. I keep one bottle and use as is and i have one bottle i add some hab powder to kick it up a little.

This brings up an interesting question which came up at lunch yesterday at a Vietnamese restaurant with me and my co-workers:

Is there a Sriracha-style asian sauce that brings more heat?

I was mixing some Strib Wings NOT COOL Jolokia sauce in with my Sriracha on my pork and vermicelli and it was definitely bringing the heat, but it was also changing the yummy Sriracha flavor a bit.

The NY Times article says he uses ripe red jalapenos in his sauce. It seems like a similar sauce could be made using a hotter pepper.

Here's another good article: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Island/3102/huyfong.htm

IMO, if ya want it hotter...take a separate container of it, mix in some Bih powder and let it sit awhile...like at least a few days. It'll get hotter. ;)

The Bih Jolokia powder doesn't really have THAT much flavor on it's own, but it sure has the heat.

Here's a recipe for it that sounds interesting.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/srirachachilisauce.htm

There are lots of recipes out there for it, but it won't be the same as Huy Fong.

Which is Ok too. :)

Wow, you've never heard of it? I think it's #2 to Tabasco in mass popularity.

thehotpepper.com said:
Wow, you've never heard of it? I think it's #2 to Tabasco in mass popularity.

Yeah, I'm not surprised, but somehow this sauce escaped me before reading the article. And I have a collection of 10-20 different sauces including some extract ones. I looked for it in my local Bloom's but only saw a brand imported from Thailand. Anybody know who sells (grocery chain) the Huy Fong on the East Coast?

hell, who doesn't?

Every grocery chain here sells it. And, Sambal Olek.

But, it's way cheaper at my asian store than in grocery. I get 28oz bottle there same price (about $4) as the 12oz in stores.

Wal Mart? Krogers?

it's not usually in the hotsauce/ketchup aisle..check the aisn foods ailse. I bet its wioth the soy sauce and such.

bigt said:
Yeah, I'm not surprised, but somehow this sauce escaped me before reading the article. And I have a collection of 10-20 different sauces including some extract ones. I looked for it in my local Bloom's but only saw a brand imported from Thailand. Anybody know who sells (grocery chain) the Huy Fong on the East Coast?

Be sure to check the Asian foods isle/section if you haven't already done so. It took me a bit to find it here at my local grocer because I was looking at the section with all the regular hot sauces. It still took me some time to find it once I realized that it may be elsewhere in the store.

smariotti said:
This brings up an interesting question which came up at lunch yesterday at a Vietnamese restaurant with me and my co-workers:

Is there a Sriracha-style asian sauce that brings more heat?

I was mixing some Strib Wings NOT COOL Jolokia sauce in with my Sriracha on my pork and vermicelli and it was definitely bringing the heat, but it was also changing the yummy Sriracha flavor a bit.

The NY Times article says he uses ripe red jalapenos in his sauce. It seems like a similar sauce could be made using a hotter pepper.

Try this. Taste pretty much the same, don't really taste the hab flavor unless you put alot, not that a little hab flavor would be a bad thing.

UnNatural said:
I keep one bottle and use as is and i have one bottle i add some hab powder to kick it up a little.

I also tried using a simlar recipe as theirs but using habs. O habs, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder. Tasted awesome and somewhat similar to Huy Fong but much fruitier.

Back