A couple more pepper reviews

Working through my stash from Romy6, so ate a few today and still have the furness burning a couple hours later!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMAjym-FLTA
And a hot one, the Yellow 7-pot. It was hotter than I expected, even though I`ve eaten a few of them this week and in the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQtc5li4EGg

nice reviews....

i also love the lemon drop/aji lemon. i have 3 overwinters and pull 3-5 pods every day, great snackers or in a salad.

I think my aji limon plant must be a bit of a sport.  The pods look right, have all the same general flavor characteristics people describe, but are almost heatless.  What heat there is comes in a little "pop" up front as you bite into them, but when that dissipates it takes most of the citrus flavor with it, leaving nothing but the slightly soapy _baccatum_ flavor.

They're not bad, and they actually work out fairly nicely to add just a tiny bit of an edge to ceviche, but as snackers they seem anemic in their flavor and heat profiles compared to how others have found them.  Do I have a broken plant, or is this one of those flavors that's just very different to different palates?

-NT

I`m sure there is some variation between plants, but I wouldn`t expect it to the level you describe unless you are very unlucky. It happens, but not commonly in a stable strain like this. Don`t grow seed from your plant, but maybe get some new seeds (or plants of you are lucky) for next season and try those. 

Of course, everyone`s palate is different to some small or large extent. How else can you explain people who enjoy Durian! It could be that your palate doesn`t give you the same as other people`s experiences. 

I have plants. so later in the year remind me and I`ll give you some pods to try. 

Great reviews Nigel. That yellow 7 is no slacker. Every once in awhile you get one that just surprises ya  ;)

I enjoy your reviews Nigel - but you've not yet inspired this pepper wimp to chew up a superhot!
I was given some seed for Yellow 7 Pot and Peach Bhut so I'll grow those next year - I'll taste a little but I think mainly I'll experiment cooking with them.

Really liked the Aji Lemon review as I am growing some this year and really looking forward to a taste.  No blossoms yet so wish me some patience!

Nigel said:
I have plants. so later in the year remind me and I`ll give you some pods to try.
I appreciate it! My plant overwintered and is looking healthier this year than last, so maybe it just had a rough season (thanks, hornworms...) and produced wimpy pods, too.

-NT

cone9 said:
I enjoy your reviews Nigel - but you've not yet inspired this pepper wimp to chew up a superhot!
I was given some seed for Yellow 7 Pot and Peach Bhut so I'll grow those next year - I'll taste a little but I think mainly I'll experiment cooking with them.

Really liked the Aji Lemon review as I am growing some this year and really looking forward to a taste.  No blossoms yet so wish me some patience!
No superhots??? Ok, that`s fair enough. How about some of the less hot C.chinense varieties? There are a number of "seasoning" peppers and some of those are not hot at all and some are moderately hot, but not as hot as an Habanero. Aji dulce, Trinidad seasoning, Tobago seasoning, St Lucia seasoning and Trinidad perfume are just a few of what`s available. Jim Duffy at Refining Fire Chilis MAY have a few plants available if you call him. I `m not connected in any way to him, but I`ve bought seeds and plants and have always been very happy. 

Yellow 7-pots are very very hot and so are Peach Bhuts, so be careful with them and wear gloves handling them. 

Back