• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

A couple mystery Capsicum

Ok, so I bought a Ghost Pepper at a local nursery this spring and have been anxiously awaiting the fruit to ripen, but now that they are turning, I'm not so sure that this is actually a bhut jolokia. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Caribbean Red hab?

IMG_5663.jpg

Next, I bought a four-pack of Purple Beauty bells (which I wasn't impressed with, but that's another thread), but one of them turned out to be something completely different. These started out solid purple like the bells, but as they grow, they fade to the mottled green-purple like you see here,and when they ripen fully, they turn red. Size and consistency is very similar to a Gypsy bell, but these are HOT. Hotter than any other C. annuum variety I've ever grown, less than C. chinense vars. They have a very good flavor too, almost habenero-like.

(Sorry for the bad pic. This one was hard to get to without pulling it off the plant)

IMG_5665.jpg

I have one or two more fruit from this plant ripening now and I plan to save seed from these for next year. My guess is some kind of accidental hybrid, but I'm curious to see what the rest of you think about it.

Thanks in advance!

The nursery that these came from has a reputation for mislabeling their plants.They grow some nice stuff but it's not always marked correctly, so I took a chance on the bhut. It definitely has the heat and flavor of a normal habanero.

I'm more interested in what you all think about the second pepper. I'm at a loss as to what it could be at this point. All I know is I took a bite of one expecting a sweet bell crunch, and instead got a mouth full of fire ;)

Here's a couple more shots of the second mystery pepper

Ripe fruit on the left, immature fruit on the right

IMG_5825.jpg

Inside shot with the seed vein removed

IMG_5826.jpg

I'm open to wild guesses at this point :P

I also have quite a few seeds I'm saving if anyone interested enough to try them personally

Back