• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A couple of freaks

My favorite part about growing a large number of plants is coming across mutations. I don't know that either of these are definitely mutations or if there are some environmental factors at play that I haven't accounted for.

Freak #1 - Sweet Jalapeno - This plant sprouted with only 1 cotyledon, which by itself wouldn't be extremely rare. Then it only sprouted a single true leaf on its first set. I am just seeing signs of the next set of leaves, I am hoping to see only 1 leaf and not two.

Untitled by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Freak #2 - Bhut Jolokia (Red) - Everything was normal about this plant up until the second set of true leaves. At first it just looked like yellowing, as the leaves got bigger, they got more white. I honestly thought the pyrethrin I use caused the leaves to burn. I haven't sprayed the plant since, and now the 3rd set of leaves are coming in and they are white/variegated as well. I have a couple of theories about what might be happening genetically, but I am waiting to see if it continues to grow this way before I divulge.

Untitled by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

I had 3 try cotyledons seedlings. One fatalii, choco TS, and moruga blend. The moruga blend looks like its branching already as if it were topped, it looks like 2 branches instead of the typical single node. I'll try to post pics if I can, it's really hard to catch it. I might let it grow more and post it up.

,Vegas

I get the early branching occasionally as well. I think it usually environmental, probably a pest (aphid, thrip, mite) completely killing a set of leaves and stunting growth and causing branching. There are lots of things that could cause that. The one sided jalapeno above is probably something along those lines, especially if the next set of leaves are normal. They are forming off the first true leaf and not the main stem, causing me to think the main stem has been stunted somehow.

theghostpepperstore said:
My favorite part about growing a large number of plants is coming across mutations. I don't know that either of these are definitely mutations or if there are some environmental factors at play that I haven't accounted for.
So, how did they turn out?

Back