• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

A different tomato grow log

The county fair has asked if I will do a hydroponics display at the event that will be held in the middle of August. Seems like a good idea.

The plan is to start one plant in May, one in June and one in July. I picked the Riesentraube tomato about an 80-day indeterminate. Each month, I will group sow about 6-10 seeds in dirt and after they get their third set of leaves, move them into a bucket of water. The hydro system is DWC, using a 3-gallon bucket.

This is not a "challenge" since plants growing in May will not get near the sun (heat, lumens) as one growing in June or July. But the hope is to show that hydro is a way to grow plants.

I also want to start a bucket of lettuce, maybe two plants, but know I have to wait until June.

Come fair time, at least one or maybe more of the plants will be moved into a clear reservoir so visitors can see the roots and how the airstones work.

Any suggestions?

Mike

The seedlings are taking too long to germinate so I used the two smallest plants I have growing. One is in water, the other in potting soil. Both are sitting in front of a south facing window, simulating indoor growing without artificial lighting. Pics once I get my camera back (later today).

Mike

Here's the beginning of the experiment. The tree in the background is my neighbors - it makes it harder to see the tomatoes.

tomtest511.jpg

Mike

Back