• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A few flowering Q's

When there is some yellowing on the flowers what does this mean? Does it mean the flower is dying and it wont produce? Is there a deficiency?
Also, I'm about 120 days into growing pepper plants and I'm starting to get impatient waiting for my first pod/s, I'm growing all C. Chinese's so I know they take awhile but, Besides the stem being thick at the base of the flower, what are other things to look for a flower/s that are going to produce pod/s? Thanks a lot!

Look for pollen. I see plenty of flowers that go a little yellow and sometimes even brown, but I haven't found a definite correlation between the discoloration and pod production. Sometimes the discolored ones produce, sometimes not. I personally think that it has something to do with cool temperatures or wet flowers. I usually see this quite a bit in the spring or if I get a cold rainy week in the fall.

I hand pollinate as much as possible and so far the best way for me to predict if a plant is about to start setting pods is by seeing how much pollen is coming out of the flowers. I hold a clean piece of black plastic under the flower and tap the top of it. I do this when the flower is fully opened. If there is no pollen at that point that flower is not going to produce a pod.

Look for pollen. I see plenty of flowers that go a little yellow and sometimes even brown, but I haven't found a definite correlation between the discoloration and pod production. Sometimes the discolored ones produce, sometimes not. I personally think that it has something to do with cool temperatures or wet flowers. I usually see this quite a bit in the spring or if I get a cold rainy week in the fall.

I hand pollinate as much as possible and so far the best way for me to predict if a plant is about to start setting pods is by seeing how much pollen is coming out of the flowers. I hold a clean piece of black plastic under the flower and tap the top of it. I do this when the flower is fully opened. If there is no pollen at that point that flower is not going to produce a pod.

Ok thank you! I will try the black plastic method.

Back