• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A Few Questions

Learning a lot as I navigate this site. I have a few questions about my sprouting seeds. I've planted seeds for Butch T's, Bhuts, and Douglahs in a heated Jiffy 72-cell mini greenhouse. Seeing some sprouting going on in the Butch T section after 5 days, but none in the Bhut or Douglah cells.

1) Do the Butch T's germinate faster than these other two strains?

2) Is there an average germination time?

3) Should I be taking the lid to the greenhouse off for any defined period of time, or just leave it on except for watering or admiring? (Admiring. Cheesy, I know.)

4) The cells along the edges of the mini-greenhouse get soaked from the condensation run-down. Is there any way to prevent this? Rolled-up paper towels?

Thanks for the help.

Another question:

I ordered some brain strains to sample a true "superhot" (D@MN!). Ha! The computer thinks its an email address. Nice.

Anyway, one of the ones I tried tasted soapy. I just tried another that had that nice fruity flavor many have talked about...right before the wham pow heat kicked in. I want to plant these seeds. Some of them came off the placenta easily, but others seem stuck. I'm guessing the stuck ones are immature and the ones that easily separated are mature and viable. Is that correct?

Thanks.

In my short term experience It all depends..... I have about 8 different super hots in jiffys some have sprouted withing 4 days others nearly 20 and i'm holding on for a few more to srpout but i think its unlikely at this stage.

My hole setup is a fishtank with heater and fan to keep things warmish in the cold down here in Aussie land until it starts to warm up in a month and a bit :D

Yes rolled up paper would work if thats a concern.

:hot:

I've had some seeds take 2+ weeks to germinate. After that, I assume they're not viable. However, surprises can still happen.

1) Nope. Like geeme said, it all depends on what the seeds want to do.

2) Nope. But, typically, like geeme said, you can expect within 2 weeks. I have seen seeds take 5 weeks to germinate. Hey, it's mother nature. She's a woman. We all know that women can't make up their minds! lol

3) Yes, you should take the lid off as soon as you see a sprout. That's why I like the seed trays that come apart. The 72 cell ones have what, 9 cells per section? I cut those 9-cell section so they can be separated. I will put one variety per section. As soon as they pop, they come out.

4) I honestly wouldnt worry about it.

The stuck ones arent more or less mature than the others. One of the biggest lessons I could ever teach someone is that peppers are extremely simple. (Even though some people like to over-complicate them!) Being stuck simply means they are stuck. If the pod was ripe, then the seeds are good.

I'm seeing the stuck seed thing similar to human babies, which we all know come out when they want to. But, some don't seem to ever want to, and stay beyond their due date. If it's too much longer, the doctor may end up doing a c-section on the mom to remove the baby - that kid is coming out whether he/she wants to or not! The baby is fully ready to come out, but who knows why it isn't? While plants aren't human, it would seem the process is similar enough that the analogy applies - being stuck doesn't necessarily mean not developed enough.

i have had bhut and 7 pot seeds take several weeks to sprout. i've read that they can take more than 2 months in some instances

i have had bhut and 7 pot seeds take several weeks to sprout. i've read that they can take more than 2 months in some instances

I'm glad I live in deep South Texas...I think the most I've ever waited for something to sprout up was like 2 weeks tops....I usually see germination with 3-4 days. I was told the best thing to use for germinating seeds was Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix and they made a believer out of me....works like a charm.

So far I have activity in five of the Butch T cells. Two sprouts and three hooks. Today is day 6. The first one to sprout hasn't grown in a couple of days. Is this OK?

Nothing yet from the Bhut or Doughlah cells.

Is there any utility in a light fertilizer at this point? Or is that reserved for the time of transplantation?

DO NOT FERTLIZE THIS EARLY!!!!! At the absolute earliest, I would do like a 1/4 strength fert when they get their 3rd or 4th trues.

In MY experience, ButchT's are slow starters, but like to play catch up. Just let 'em do their thang!

4) The cells along the edges of the mini-greenhouse get soaked from the condensation run-down. Is there any way to prevent this? Rolled-up paper towels?

You can greatly reduce that by giving them less water and leaving the top off for a few hours (less if there is fan forced airflow nearby) after watering then putting it back on. Once sprouts start poking up you'll want to leave the top off as much as possible to avoid dampening off of the sprouts. If you get fungal growth, spray with 1:10 ratio OTC hydrogen peroxide to water solution.

Most of my plant seed sprouts within 3 weeks but I don't give up on any till 6 weeks have passed. Depends on the plant type though, generally the hotter peppers like C. chinense seem to take longer.

Back