• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

A Fishy Winter Grow: Stuff in a Tent

Be it ever so humble...

the-new-batch.jpg

Currently, there are three pepper plants on the bottom (the four all the way on the right are garlic experiments). The one that's nice and rootbound in a tiny container on the right is a manganji, which I pretty much just want to see the pheno from. In the bags on the left, there's shishito (which I found out my wife loves, so that goes on the list), and Greek pepperoncini, a.k.a. Friggitello.

I'm really hoping to grow giant white habanero, both over the winter and outside next year, but so far I've had no luck at all getting them to germinate. Which really sucks, because I was hoping to cross those with CGN 21500 and possibly larger sweet varieties. 21500 was also supposed to be the fourth tent pepper. I should have isolated seeds for that coming from my current plant soon.

But as I've been attempting to germinate those GW habs, I also started a couple other things. My purple UFO did not grow true, but I started more to see if I can get something on-pheno; on the top shelf, I have two new seedlings from that envelope in rockwool. I also have two very healthy-looking sugar rush peach in there. While I'd prefer to grow the peach outside next year, if I can't get those GW habs to take, I might have to switch, and that could be a pretty good candidate.

So the current plan is to have four one-gallon bags on the bottom with a nice selection of mild to medium hot peppers, and go through just as much hybridization experimentation as I can with rockwool and Khang Starr style mini-Kratky bottles.

HeatMiser said:
Good looking tent 'fish, glad to see things are coming along nicely..

Thanks! Yeah, so far, so... thrippy, but otherwise OK. Should be quite a lull now; mostly just waiting on the Kratky kids to fruit so I know what they even are.  :rolleyes:

Bookers said:
Look what I've got fish...I coached a kid in Baseball with my son... his dad and I both did. Anyway he was stationed in Japan and I had to have it... It's sad I haven't opened it yet!

Ooh, nice. Nikka's supposed to be good stuff.

b3rnd said:
Good looking grow! I wish you success with your crosses, they're really fun to do. 

I remember when you first joined this forum, and now you've already got almost a thousand posts, you've been active! Nice to have new members stick around this long. 

Thank you! Yeah, it's great to have a place like this with other people who are obsessive about the same hobby. Definitely helps. And the fact that the little office that's home to my computer and grow tent is now my "the child is screaming and my wife is angry" retreat should boost my post count for the next... I don't know, twenty years or so.

PaulG said:
Yes indeed, 'Fish is a good fellow, alright!

That's... well, I'm not at all sure your conclusion is supported by your premises. 
lol.gif
  ;)

Actual pepper update. :)

The mini Kratky plants seem to be doing reasonably well. Somehow, I'm getting a little bit of algae in one of the CGN 21500s (left tray, front right), so I gave it a bit more of an angle to the light in the hope that clears it up (not a lot of room for something like hydroton in there; might try perlite if this keeps up). The two with little yellow tags on the right are Lemon Starrburst, but they seem to have purple cotys. I didn't get that in the two that are in cans; kind of interesting.

kratky-update.jpg

Speaking of Lemon Starrburst, one of the ones in cans ended up having fused cotyledons. Pretty odd.

oddball-starrburst.jpg

Still gotta decide which Nanbu to cull. I thought of braiding them, since there are three in there, but... meh. Seems like more work than it's worth, and I'd probably just end up killing all of them.

And in other plant news, finally a sprout from my yellow cherry tomato seeds. Just waiting on the shiso now.

tomato-plug.jpg

Looking good, 'Fish.

I braided a couple 7 Pot SR's sprouts some time back.  It was a bit of a pain at the start, but not terrible.  They ended up holding the braid and even fusing together to a degree. Surprisingly, both plants were healthy producers, though probably not any more so than a good solo plant would have produced.

Oh, and you're totally making me want to grow a beer can pepper.  :)

My Triple Threat popped! Two so far. Both coming up with some degree of helmet, though I think the big one might not be as bad as it looked at first. Still, gave them a good soaking and covered them, hopefully that'll help them get out before I have to murder them unintentionally. First of all, do no harm, right? Good thing I'm not a doctor.

threat-level-intensifies.jpg

And in case we were under the impression that the fish knows what he's doing: This is my coworker's tomato Kratky plug, started around the same time as mine. So, clearly, the wrong person has taken up this hobby.  :mad:

seriously-guys.jpg

[edit]
Lemon Starrwonk is growing... well, at least one true leaf. Interested to see how this works out.

wonk-star.jpg

[/edit]

The larger of the two Triple Threat sprouts disrobed all on its own. So at least one should be good to go. :)

Also, turns out I did get a little overzealous with that light, and a couple of the sprouts are getting scalded. Backing it off a bit. Let them fruit at least once before you kill them, fish.

Mr.joe said:
I somehow got a long ways behind in your glog. I'm all caught up now, everything is looking good, sorry to hear those white habs didn't wanna be.

Yeah, it's too bad about those habs, but I'm not exactly facing a shortage of varieties... and another one I was interested to cross was alma paprika, which I should hopefully have at least one of growing in Kratky to plant out some day.

KevinThePepperhead said:
I'm sorry, but just for clarification, are triple threat and trippaul threat the same pepper? I know someone else has a trippaul threat glog.

My fault, yes, that's what I mean. It's just a fairly awkward name, and Trippa mentioned a couple times it's meant to be a play on the word 'triple' for several reasons anyway.

PaulG sent seeds my way for that and the Purple Thunder that also has its own glog here. Hoping to get in on both of those grows. :)

internationalfish said:
My fault, yes, that's what I mean. It's just a fairly awkward name, and Trippa mentioned a couple times it's meant to be a play on the word 'triple' for several reasons anyway.

PaulG sent seeds my way for that and the Purple Thunder that also has its own glog here. Hoping to get in on both of those grows. :)

I hope you will post into the Purple Thunder
and Trippaul Threat community grow logs.
I’m glad to see you have both going this season!

you have a nice grow getting underway, ‘Fish!

PaulG said:
I hope you will post into the Purple Thunder
and Trippaul Threat community grow logs.
I’m glad to see you have both going this season!

you have a nice grow getting underway, ‘Fish!

Yep, already there! :) Just relocated two of my three Threats into Kratky, with one remaining in the can. So hopefully everyone's happy there. Will plan on getting more pictures up when they show some true leaves.

I don't have Purple Thunder growing yet, but since I have one Kratky space left, I'm thinking I'll get a couple of those seeds into a rock wool cube and see what happens.

Seems like my SRPs are finally starting to ripen. And they seem to be on pheno, which, holy balls! That'd be a first for this season's grow.

ripening-peaches.jpg

This plant seems to be happy after I transferred it from one of those mini Kratky bottles into coir. Going to save seeds from these pods, I really like the busy way this plant is growing.

It's not looking like that final giant white habanero seed is going to pop, so that's unfortunate. The other rock wool cubes that are incubating right now also seem unlikely to sprout anything... I'll give them maybe another week and then just go ahead and start one with purple thunder.

Back