• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

A glimpse into the Chile-Head past

Twenty years ago, chileheads were corresponding on a mailing list comprising only plain-text email messages, no GUI or images. It was a thriving list but it faded over the years as other media have emerged. Some of you may have been there; I'm pretty sure that NECM was. I am there as Alex Silbajoris.

It is still possible to go back and read about activities and running jokes and recipes from back then. It was a thriving scene. There are a lot of good recipes buried in there if you look around.

http://www.globalgarden.com/Chile-Heads/Archives/vol.200703/

Dig in!

I was on the chile heads list back at the Dawn of time too. I wasn't a active contributor though, I wouldn't have a clue what my nickname on there was. I still wish I had made it to an open fields back then.

Hab_Nut said:
Twenty years ago, chileheads were corresponding on a mailing list comprising only plain-text email messages, no GUI or images. It was a thriving list but it faded over the years as other media have emerged. Some of you may have been there; I'm pretty sure that NECM was. I am there as Alex Silbajoris.

It is still possible to go back and read about activities and running jokes and recipes from back then. It was a thriving scene. There are a lot of good recipes buried in there if you look around.

http://www.globalgarden.com/Chile-Heads/Archives/vol.200703/

Dig in!

I posted for a few years under The NorthEast ChileMan, you remember we could get individual posts or the "digest", right?.

Interestingly Alex is the URL you posted, Chile-Heads by thread_vol.200703. Years ago I chased the URL trails and found a number of archive thread "volumes" that seem to be time frame related but you can't go by the dates at the top/bottom of the digest. Additionally there was often an "index.html#XXXX" following the volume number. So having posted that, start here.> The Global Garden/Chile-Heads/Archives  and you'll note the results below:

ziZARAT.jpg

If you click on the folder vol.19980318/ it takes you to Chile-Heads Archives Volume 1 by thread:

BXGtYAx.jpg

The confusion comes in when it lists two Volumes with different data, Chile-Heads Archives Volume 2 by thread vs Chile-Heads Archives Volume 2 by thread are examples...

But it doesn't diminish the fun looking through old invites/reports to Open Fields or recipes from RisaG & Doug Irvine (God rest his soul & wife too.), Rael as jjk posted below, someday I'll look for 'nekkid twister posts or the ongoing (WINK!-WINK!) "The Bread" fooled ya! recipes.

NECM

I forget, who was it that posted the story about a bicycle ride with raccoons climbing out of the front basket? that was epic.

Hab_Nut said:
I forget, who was it that posted the story about a bicycle ride with raccoons climbing out of the front basket? that was epic.

That doesn't ring a bell but the book Rascal had that scene, raccoon riding in basket on handlebars.

I wonder how many members remember those?

1140370.jpg

I looked back in my archives and I do still have several years of the digest. The oldest is from Volume 2, August 1995. I think they are WordPerfect files; when I try to open them the formatting is a mess.

I do have some text files. This was my RSVP to Open Fields 2001. Bonus points to anyone who recognizes El Grande Habanero, or James Joyce.

Open Fields 2001 is set for October 6th & 7th (Sat-Sun). 

I'll start asking for RSVP's along about September. 

I submit mine early: 

O and the hab the hab crimson sometimes like fire and the glorious tepins and the datils in the Field of Screams yes and all the muddy little rows  and the white and purple and yellow bells and the serranos and the tabasco and  New Mex and Waverly as a nubile chile maiden where I was a Flower of the Moraine yes when I put the hab in my hair like the Yucatan girls used or  shall I eat a red yes and how El Grande kissed me under the spreading leaves and I thought well as well Him as another and then I asked Him with my lips to kiss again yes and then He asked me would I yes to say yes my Moraine flower and first I put my lips around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my tonsils all perspired yes and His capsaicin was going like mad and yes I said yes I will yes. 

- A 

Back