• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A guy can only make so much sauce

So I decided to smoke and dehydrate 4 trays full of ghost and chocolate habs the past 2 days. I feel like a squirrel storing up for the winter lol. I also dried 500 Thai peppers last week and still have triple that left on the plants. And Caribbean Reds coming out of my ears. Next year I'm cutting way back and I told my neighbor who gave me the 40 plus Caribbean plants and 6 Thai plants that I will only grow what I do from seed next year and refuse to buy a single plant next year. It was my way of nicely hinting that I don't want any plants next year except for what I want to grow. This is just s hobby for me and with all these darn plants it seems like it should be a business which I have no time for nor interest in starting. Ok enough ranting for now I just had to get this off my chest haha. Happy and bountiful pepper season everyone.

Vinegar mash is good making sauces later. Peppers have a lot of ascorbic acid, so the mash only needs a little salt/vinegar to be stable.

Contact your local indian/thai restaurants and groceries....sometimes chinese or oriental grocers. Restaurants that are independent-the kind that offer a different menu each week or are into locally grown produce. Google salsa, hot sauce, in your state and talk to producers or stores that deal in the stuff. Pay for next year's crop. I started out growing habs in the 1990's, and over the years have had so many people interested in my peppers...I made it a side job. I sell to all above named places. Biggest margins are ads on craigslist, or -the best- if you know anyone who works at a manufacturing plant. I have found if you get a few guys a few peppers @ a plant, they will turn it into a fad there and come to re-up with you every week. Don't know if you do....but if you grow your plants isolated, there is a big market for bulk seeds from the big seed guys and gals as well as the ebay, amazon sellers. Just fwiw, Doc

Ps I also pawn peppers off on the farmers who spend their days at farmers markets; another way to get rid of excess inventory.

Back