• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

A joke

How many forum people does it take to change a light bulb?

One to change the bulb and 10 to tell them it doesn't work.

(When it does)

I've read thousands of threads from many types of forums where a person will literally post undeniable evidence of a process, method or approach working and then dozens of people who have not tried to replicate the results then proceed to tell the person that what clearly worked does not work because of any number of reasons. 

In one case I observed a significant number of people deny that a fungal radiolabeled precursor study was invalid because it hadn't been done in the last few years and was instead a few decades old. By the exact same logic there is no proof Halley's comet is real because it hasn't been seen in years.

Replication, verification and or contradiction is the foundation of comprehensiveness. 

Demented said:
Easy rule to follow.
Do not feed the trolls.

Unless you like trainwrecks.
In many forums trolls and armchair bullies predominate and moderate.

It tends to be better to write on paper and not share valid information because sharing any information that is not part of consensus is feeding trolls regardless of how accurate the info is or how inaccurate consensus is.

However it is a fact that forums typically have lurkers who don't participate in the contrarianism and who value accurate information.

Some people use forums to denounce others as a way to boost their own esteem as a group and some people use forums to learn and grow as people. It's perfectly obvious who is who.

One group has good manners and the other doesn't.

Max Nihil said:
In many forums trolls and armchair bullies predominate and moderate.

It tends to be better to write on paper and not share valid information because sharing any information that is not part of consensus is feeding trolls regardless of how accurate the info is or how inaccurate consensus is.

However it is a fact that forums typically have lurkers who don't participate in the contrarianism and who value accurate information.

Some people use forums to denounce others as a way to boost their own esteem as a group and some people use forums to learn and grow as people. It's perfectly obvious who is who.

One group has good manners and the other doesn't.
So if they don't agree with you they are trolls? And also in sidebar you are fighting the good fight for the lurkers?  Honestly I do think this started as a simple joke but it's the internet so people are going to wonder and then it goes off the rails.  This thread itself invites a narrative for you to proclaim high ground - when you could actually be out participating in threads and being "the example" of high ground.  Which you've already done here a few times.

Your posts to date illustrate someone very capable and smart regarding plants in general, and peppers specifically.  Rather than play provocateur I encourage you to continue to share your ongoing experiences with your plants and crosses, because you've got some great experience and info to share.  As time passes and our members come to know you and your nature better jokes like this will come across more naturally, and you'll get people laughing with you instead of wondering what the deal is.          

This is the real answer

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

bob65 said:
This is the real answer

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
+1

SmokenFire said:
So if they don't agree with you they are trolls? And also in sidebar you are fighting the good fight for the lurkers?

No fool  For the trolls!- The trolls are my friends!

J2DIgkO.jpg

This is Carl from Lowell.

Max Nihil,

I read and re-read your post/s again and I am man enough and decent enough to admit, that perhaps I figured it wrong. I took it as a broad swipe against our little community here. One of which I am very proud to be a part. Unlike most, if not all here, I am perhaps the most un-anonymous.

Your post was not on the “joke” thread, so I took it as a thinly veiled poke at our forum members. I am not a spokesman nor representative of anyone here, just a regular dude with an opinion on the internet. Not with any credence beyond anyone else with an internet opinion.

I’ve read some of your offerings and know they have great merit.  Bring it sir!

Many can gain from your knowledge, myself included.

In open forum, for all to see, I offer my apology should you have been offended at my comments. I think you much better.

:cheers:

Reggie

WarrantMan said:
Max Nihil,

I read and re-read your post/s again and I am man enough and decent enough to admit, that perhaps I figured it wrong. I took it as a broad swipe against our little community here. One of which I am very proud to be a part. Unlike most, if not all here, I am perhaps the most un-anonymous.

Your post was not on the “joke” thread, so I took it as a thinly veiled poke at our forum members. I am not a spokesman nor representative of anyone here, just a regular dude with an opinion on the internet. Not with any credence beyond anyone else with an internet opinion.

I thought about your observation about the broad brush, so to speak.
I don't think you are wrong and I suspect your career has afforded you types of wisdom and understanding that people (like myself) rarely get a chance to appreciate.

Although I had not meant the "joke" as an attack on this forum or it's members I still found the broad brush comment insightful and useful. 

I made a mistake in placing the "joke" in the wrong area. I am new to this forum and am still learning.  I have participated in various groups and forums in the past and I ended up quitting them and just writing my thoughts, study notes and observations in paper notebooks. I also deleted my Facebook profile late last year. This forum is the only type of social media I participate in and I chose to join because I am passionate about Capsicum.

Obviously in the most fundamental sense people are imperfect and any system or congregation made by or involving them is subject to that imperfection. 

About the only thing I can think of is to laugh about it.

It certainly isn't something I can change... so it isn't worth my anger.

The comment that was made about not pissing into the wind (it was in latin) has wisdom to it as well...
However to joke about people being people does strike me as occasionally therapeutic. 

I apologize for the fact that my joke was able to be seen as a broadly painted insult towards this forum. That was not my intention... however there was an aspect to it that worded it in a way that the responses provide insights.

From a certain perspective me being a provocateur was a reasonable assumption to make... but I have a question for you Reggie.

Have you ever said something to people and paid close attention to their responsive behavior because it provided insight into a situation they were involved in? 

My impression is that I can learn a great deal by participating in this forum and also share what I learn with others.

As long as it is mutually beneficial I can justify my participation, however if my participation proves a detrimental or unhealthy to myself, other members or the forum as a whole... then why continue?

I appreciate every response to this thread, even if I am not very well practiced at "liking" posts. 

Thank you.

[/\/\].[/\/].
Max Nihil

paulky_2000 said:
Beer is delicious.
I think so but I drank heavily for years and although I still officially drink I have not had a drink since 2016 and am not even tempted to drink.

I really enjoyed brewing and grew my own wild collected hops as well. One of my friends that I gave hops cuttings to and brewed beer with because a brewer for a fairly large local company.

I openly oppose drinking because of what it does to people but I also openly support freedom and making laws about what private consenting adults can do and use on their own is unethical. I don't blame those who enforce unethical laws however, a job is a job.

Max Nihil said:
I think so but I drank heavily for years and although I still officially drink I have not had a drink since 2016 and am not even tempted to drink.

I really enjoyed brewing and grew my own wild collected hops as well. One of my friends that I gave hops cuttings to and brewed beer with because a brewer for a fairly large local company.

I openly oppose drinking because of what it does to people but I also openly support freedom and making laws about what private consenting adults can do and use on their own is unethical. I don't blame those who enforce unethical laws however, a job is a job.

Nobody likes a quitter......

......That's a joke.......but, seriously......I'll take up the slack in your stead.

Back