• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A little help seating light bulbs.

Hey all ! I have a fluorescent light that keeps going on and off. When I tap it goes off and off so i am assuming I am not getting the bulb seated correctly... Anyone have this problem / a solution ?

- Mega

How many THP members does it take to screw in a light bulb? JUST KIDDING! :D The only thing I can think of is that the base is the wrong size for the socket or the socket is damaged...

can you return the kit, and get a new one.. I had this issue with an old fish tank light.. the wires going into the back of the light were a little loose from what I could tell, I didn't really need it so I just put it back down in the basement for now lol.

but if you can't return it, see if you can find the ballast (if it has a removable one like the fish tank lights) and see if when you play around with that, if it makes it any better.. but best bet is to just return it for a new one

standard 4' fluorescent bulb ?

could be the starter in a flourescent.. Could also be dirty / oxidized contacts.. I just built my seedling rack yesterday, and while trying to hook up lighting, I had a similar issue (mind you, my lighting spent 6 or 7 years over a reef tank). The copper contacts had oxidized and it wasn't making a good connection.

My fix? unplug the light, find a small piece of fine sandpaper and clean the contacts.. (sometimes on the bulb too, but usually in the base)

If it's a screw in light bulb, try taking a screw driver and gently pulling up the connection point in the socket.

If your fixture has quite a bit of age (+1 year), then your ballast may be going out. OR maybe you have a loose connection on one of the tombstone sockets. It wouldn't be the starter since it's still working to some degree. Sockets are easy to replace (unless you have ones that are strictly OEM) and also the cheapest.

It wouldn't be the starter since it's still working to some degree.

Gotta disagree here.. My 18" flourescent that used to be over my counter for 20 years did what his is doing (it would light, then sometimes flicker or go off and on, on its own). We changed the bulb, and that didn't fix it. Plugged in a new starter and the problem disappeared..

My vote is still for a dirty contact in the tombstone...

Back