• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A new Light

I am looking at geting some thing bigger for my first attempt to grow peppers right now i have a small single bulb 3 foot grow light in my window its a 24watt 2000 initial lumens 6400 full day spectrum light.

from looking at amazon i found a Hydrofarm Designer T5 System 4 Foot 4 Tube Fluorescent Grow Light
it is rated 6400k.

would this be worth buying and how many peppers could i grow with this light. its going to cost about 150 bucks.

I am looking at geting some thing bigger for my first attempt to grow peppers right now i have a small single bulb 3 foot grow light in my window its a 24watt 2000 initial lumens 6400 full day spectrum light.

from looking at amazon i found a Hydrofarm Designer T5 System 4 Foot 4 Tube Fluorescent Grow Light
it is rated 6400k.

would this be worth buying and how many peppers could i grow with this light. its going to cost about 150 bucks.

It depends on how many plants you are growing. I currently am running one 2 ft T5 and a single desk lamp bulb for my 9 baby plants. My t5 puts outs 8,000 lumens and the single bulb puts out 1,300 lumens. It also depends on how long you are growing indoors. I'm taking all my plants outdoors in the spring. If you are specifically growing indoors with a lot of plants you need a lot of light. But for the average grower either the 2ft or 4 ft t5 is perfect!

First off, I would recommend going to the grow tech area and read the lighting 101 thread. It has a ton of great info. Second, what are you growing on? Your setup will hav an impact on the lights. As an example I have seen about 130 plants grown under a 8 tube 4 ft t5 that spent the majority of its grow with 6 bulbs on. So for you, I would say in an enclosed area with a reflective interior as many plants that would fit directly under it and a few inches out would be good.

A few other things to think about are MH lights and eBay. I am a huge eBay fan and I got almost all my grow stuff off there for less than the web and free shipping. Also, for 150 you can get a 400w MH and after reading through the lighting 101 thread you can see that thy are still on the top of the pyramid.

Back