• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A new Twist to an Old Idea... Pepper Cages...

Nothing new about using 2"x4"x36" welded fence for cages but here's a new twist...

Count 18 up wires and cut off roll...

cage1.jpg

Cut out four hole sections alone the bottom...

cage2.jpg

Wire cage together... Pretty standard so far but here's the twist...

cage3.jpg

Transplant Pepper into a 5gal Elite Container and carefully position cage over Pepper...

cage4.jpg

Once in position push the legs into the dirt until the bottom ring on the cage "snaps" into the grove on the Elite container...

cage5.jpg

Now she's ready for the cold cruel world...

cage7.jpg

Once done correctly you can pick the pot up by the cage, it's that strong...

Now let's talk price point, total cost $1.50each compared to the $8.00each of the commercial cages...

Almost forgot, the job's not done till Quality Control "Miss Beaglesworth" says it's done...

cage6.jpg

Looks Nice! Wish I could do a cage, but I grow hanging out windows :)

I use four long wooden dowlels around the plant and one right down the middle up against the stem.

havent thought of using the cages for peppers...for my first batch of cages I used the same material for my 'maters tho...then I went to the 48" high wire like the 36"...

great idea

I think she like the worm poop...:)

These Waxies really put it on, at the end of the season they will be 4' tall with 50/100, 7" long pods at a time...

Now I have to deal with the Squirrel's but that's a whloe new topic...:rolleyes:

.22 rifle works wonders on squirrels, as does a BB/Pellet gun if you live in a residential area! Then you'll have some game meat to go with those fine lookin Waxies.

Cool cages! I could use a custom cage for my raised beds. Neighbors damn dogs like the cow manure and organic fertilizer I use as well and seem to always end up walking through the day after I plant out.

Hmmmm... Maybe the pellet gun would work on them too!

Nice cages! And I hear ya both on the squirrels. I battle them quite a bit and a hollow point pellet will take them out. If you getta pellet gun, helpful tip- the crappy plastic scope it comes with is garbage, the iron sights are far more accurate (on mine anyway). I used to do the .22 when I was a kid in the backwoods, but it's city livin' for now.

Hmmm...anyone know of a way to rid of the squirrels besides the .22 ? I think the cops would freak if they saw anyone with any type of firearm looking thing around here since it's a city.

SnakeDoc said:
Hmmm...anyone know of a way to rid of the squirrels besides the .22 ? I think the cops would freak if they saw anyone with any type of firearm looking thing around here since it's a city.
Predator urine.

Back