• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting A PepperProblem Grow and Harvest

Howdy folks.  Many of you knew and interacted with PepperProblem while he was with us.  Toward the end of last season and the beginning of this one he unloaded a lot of seeds on me without even asking.  He also helped me start my grow this year from seed, something I had not succeeded at before.  98% of the plants I grew this year were a result of his generosity and education, with a dose of his encouragement to experiment with different things.  I have been so busy that I have not been able to post much about it, but I will at least post the plants he helped me start from seed and the subsequent harvest that is coming from them.  

Here is some of what got started.  Had to give many away as it was way too much for me. 

a331104a-d294-4357-bb4e-7f2aef8e2ff7_zpsbda106eb.jpg

Pot in middle has 3 plants, 20g pot experiment.  Zanahoria Triangulo, Aji Dulce, and Aji Pineapple.  Plant on far left is PepperProblems Butch T from last year.  Produced wierd looking pods and has battled with bugs and ants all year.  The 3 in the 20g pot are the heavy producers in this picture.  brain strain on far right. 

IMAG1457_zps028c22da.jpg

another 20g pot experiment.  Wild Brazil, Hawaiin Tobasco which he referred to as Kona Hot, and Pepper Lovers Moruga.  I mislabeled that plant, was suppose to be a Colusha Indian Mount. These plants took off in late summer.  

IMAG1458_zps9a88f5c4.jpg

Bahamian Goat in a 20g pot alone.  Wanted it to be huge but did not work.  Also battled bugs.  Seems like this plant mated with Pepperproblems scorpions and douglahs last year.  I heard they love to mate. Pacific Ocean in background. 

IMAG1459_zps03264518.jpg

20g pot experiment.  Butch T Mississippi and Purple Bhut.  The purple bhut turned out to be a hybrid dud that starts purple then turns green to red.  Still has some good heat.  The Butch Ts are fabulous.  bugs set in late. 

IMAG1460_zps74b844da.jpg

IMAG1142_zps6deea032.jpg

Jamaican Yellow Mushroom.  Pods are huge! 

IMAG1462_zpsc0e7a487.jpg

Aji Limon on the left, CGN 21500 on the right.  CGN is interesting to harvest.  It is like picking berries off a plant. 

IMAG1463_zpseb05dee9.jpg

White 7 Pot.  This one came alive late, still waiting on the pods to get ripe.  Maybe by Thanksgiving.  

IMAG1464_zps42ad09a6.jpg

IMAG1465_zpsc00e4005.jpg

Excellent stuff, Travis. Shawn would have been very proud of your results.

Hope the White 7-pot ripens well for you. At least you don`t have a potential for frost, so close to the ocean. 

Rainforest Pepper.  He was so excited about growing this one.  The one in the bag is a Antilles Red or 7 Pot, not quite sure.  Plant did not grow well and bugs and ants got to it big time despite the Diatamaceous earth all around it. 

IMAG1466_zps83b025f8.jpg

Here is first major harvest from a few weeks back,. 

IMAG1369_zpsc68bd245.jpg

Here is the recent harvest.
IMAG1474_zps24e92cf6.jpg

And there are still more to harvest off the plants......  I will try tp post pictures of them as I move forward.  

Many many thanks to the hot pepper.  Shawn gained a lot of insights into growing from this site, and his knack for seeking out the rare things to grow fueled his fire more.   He acquired many things and subsequently passed on some of that to me.  So THANK YOU!  

sorry I had to segment the posts because of the picture limit I have.  

Nigel said:
Excellent stuff, Travis. Shawn would have been very proud of your results.

Hope the White 7-pot ripens well for you. At least you don`t have a potential for frost, so close to the ocean. 

Thanks Nigel!  Part of our discussion was the climate we are growing in and when to start.  So many of these plants did not get to pots until May or early June.  I knew they would come in later in the season but coastal temperatures are good well into November, sometimes even December.  Shawn 's crop last year  was still pushing peppers out at Thanksgiving.  

PepperDaddler said:
Got any closr pics of the CGN21500? They look purple or black which could be interesting if that is what you have.

yeah I will take some and post.  They start really dark purple and turn to a lighter shade of purple, almost pink.  
IMAG1477_zpscdfbf587.jpg

IMAG1478_zps51c6bb38.jpg

Just never seen them that dark. Maybe its just my inexperience of seeing them that often.

Like little apples. Love the flavor too.

it could be that im not letting them ripe long enough.  idk they have been on the plant for a while.  any hint of another color i started pulling lol. 

kalimazoop said:
Purple Bhut.  The purple bhut turned out to be a hybrid dud that starts purple then turns green to red.  Still has some good heat.  The Butch Ts are fabulous.  bugs set in late.
Aren't purple bhuts supposed to start purple and mature to red?

thank you.  nothing compared to pepperproblems table fulls from last year.  way more than what I wanted or needed but alas it is part of why we do what we do i guess.  

Back