• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A predicted 46 degrees tonight!

Just wondering if my bucket plants will be ok with these temps? Really don't have the room to bring them in. An this is the lowest temp in the 10 day forecast. But I am noticing with the lower night temps my pods are taking way longer to rippen (which is expected). But some are turning mushy before full ripe. Especially the smaller varieties.

Mid 40's for a week, and the peppers are racing to flower and mature.
I won't pull them until the first freeze warning.

Thanks for the info guys. I chose to bring the most prolifics in at midnight. Now my living room looks like a jungle! An my red nose mix don't know to pee or chew! lol

46 is nothing to worry about! I've been getting those temps for a couple of weeks now (a little early!) and chiles are doing just fine. The low temps only significantly affect them when the temps stay below 45-55 for long periods of time, even through the day. A few hours of low temps (above freezing) hardly seems to cause any damage, just slows there growth down a bit. I've been having 65-70 day and 40-45 nights for some time now and pods are still growing and ripening, however new leaf/flower growth has slowed down a great deal.

Yeah they don't need to come in yet but keep an eye on the weather forecasts for frost advisories, at which point you should decide whether to cover them or pull all remotely close to ripe pods and hope for the best if they stay outside.

Keep in mind you can't always trust the official temperature reports to determine frost. I as well as a lot of the upper midwest US saw a very mild surface frost here last night and it only got down to 38F here officially. Further north some peoples' plants didn't survive. Last year mine survived a few nights where it was officially 32F but there was little if any frost, and they basically stopped all activity at that point, no new leaves or pepper growth.

Back