• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

a Random Trip to the Market

I went to the market after work today, and found 2 new peppers there. The 1st pepper were Marzanos(rocoto), and they had both yellow and red. They were priced at $8.00/lb! As much as I love Rocotos, I'd have a difficult time paying $8 bucks a pound for them.
They also had NewMexico Hatch chilis!!! They were only 79 cents /lb! woohoo!!!
I bought a bunch. Does anyone have any good Hatch chili recipes? Also, if anyone would like some Hatch chili seeds, just PM me. Of course, they're the hot variety.

Fresh chillies are pretty dear here, that $8 a pound sounds good for a decent chilli. Shitty birdseyes sell for $30-$40 per kg($15-$20/lb). I've only once seen anything more exotic than a jalapeno in a supermarket, a pack of habs that didn't even look like habs.

Hatch is a town in New Mexico that has a big chili festival every year. Hatch chili is very much like a large Anaheim chili and they usually roast these chilis in spinning barrels over a flame. Nice find at that price.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Hatch is a town in New Mexico that has a big chili festival every year. Hatch chili is very much like a large Anaheim chili and they usually roast these chilis in spinning barrels over a flame. Nice find at that price.

How, that is cool!

There was an episode of throwdown where they made green chile burgers with hot Numex chiles, the Hatch would work well with that! Do you know if the ones you got were the Sandias?

In this part of the world, fresh chilis are pretty inexpensive. Serranos and Arbols are $2/lb, Jalapenos are $1-$2/lb, Habaneros are 20 cents each, dried Mexican and New Mexican peppers are crazy cheap...big bags for a few dolars a lb. So, to me, $8/lb is expensive. They had one that was pretty big, like a big bell pepper, but it was a Manzano. When I was in Peru, that's how big they were, like a big, giant apple. Of course, they were cheap down there too.
As for the Hatch chilis, I have some friends from New Mexico, here in west Texas, and also in Colorado, and I can tell you that peole go crazy over Hatch Chilis. People buy these by the garbage bags, roast them and then put them in the freezer, and use them throughout the year. They put Hatch chilis in everything. They eat these everyday. It's like a drug addiction. I'm sure no one here would understand. :shocked:

$8/lb. was about what Manzanos went for here when you could find them at chain grocery stores here. Now I have trouble finding them even in the small Mexican markets.

UnNatural said:
There was an episode of throwdown where they made green chile burgers with hot Numex chiles, the Hatch would work well with that! Do you know if the ones you got were the Sandias?

I've seen the Sandia's in some of the markets here earlier this summer, and these are not them. I can try to track down some Sandias down for you, if you'd like. I think I might know where some dried ones are.

The only place around here that has consistently fresh habaneros is Fairway Markets, 8.99/lb... Jals are 3.29/lb there. They have them cheaper at other places but they're never as fresh.

joeknowsjolokia said:
I almost hate to ask! Whats a hatch chili?:rolleyes:

Actually Hatch chiles are not a variety but a location popular for growing a lot of Anaheim types and its where they have an annual chile festival

"There is no such thing as a Hatch chile, despite all the hype about them. It is not a chile variety, as many people think. Yes, there are chiles grown in Hatch, usually the varieties 'Barker' and 'NuMex 6-4'. These grown-in-Hatch varieties are no better than those grown in the Mesilla Valley or in Deming. There are simply not enough chiles grown in Hatch to supply all of the sellers claiming to provide "Hatch chile." A few years ago at the New Mexico Chile Conference, I spoke to two women who have a chile farm in eastern Arizona who confessed to me that they shipped their chiles to Hatch, where roadside vendors labeled them "Hatch chiles." So, how did this mythology come about? Well, first, there is a Hatch brand of canned chiles, packed by Border Foods in Deming. This brand has been on the market for years, but probably most of these chiles are grown in Mexico, not Hatch. Then there is what Jimmy Buffet calls the "coconut telegraph," but here it's the Capsicum Telegraph--namely word of mouth and rumor from consumers who mistakenly spread the hype. Sorry to burst everyone's Hatch bubble, but I always tell"
http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2519&catid=57

Another point is that Manzanos are not the same as rocotos although they are both C. pubescens:)

origamiRN said:
I've seen the Sandia's in some of the markets here earlier this summer, and these are not them. I can try to track down some Sandias down for you, if you'd like. I think I might know where some dried ones are.

That would be awesome! I was talking to a woman the other day that just moved from New Mexico and she was just going on and on about Sandia's to the point i almost ordered frozen ones online, $152 for 10 lbs. Good thing my wife saw me looking at them online and confiscated my wallet.

At that price for a quality New Mex/Anaheim it would be a good idea to roast and freeze a large mess of them for future use!

Back