A Short Run of 'pain'

Well I've been dabbling with my sauce making for a little while & after passing 'not hot enough' & too complicated to make consistently & 'F* that, toss it' - I've hit on a recipe that has most who've tried it asking for more. The 'nerd pain'.

It's time for me to make a short run of 100 bottles.

1. Is that name too silly to put on a label? maybe pyro-nerd..or something else all together. -*I will be keeping the 'pain' bit for this specific sauce ;)* - I probably should be thinking about starting a brand now too. Any suggestions?

2. I've sourced 100 bottles & caps for a great price. Whats the go with labels...can I do them off my home printer and somehow stick them on or do I need something special. I was a printer/plate maker/touch up artist in one of my previous 92 career moves so give it to me straight.

3. I plan to start selling down at the local farmers markets alongside the Jam makers, this should be ok with any health regs...right? I'll have a range of pepper seedlings there to sell too at the same table.

4. When the brand name is worked out,I'm also going to need a brand logo & a specific label art for 'pain' - I'll throw that open to the many capable graphic artists & the artistic enthusiasts here when the details are sorted.

Any advice appreciated
I'll sign & number the first 20 bottles to share amongst the best responses & logo/label designs, along with a standard bottle to consume.

thanks

~bentalphanerd

Using nerd in the name implies a mild hot sauce. If it really is hot, I'd try something like Blazing Nerd Hot Sauce.

Or...if you trying to using nerd to refer to the maker of the sauce, as opposed to the sauce, then how about Nerdman's Hot Sauce, or Bent Nerd's Hot Sauce. This removes the connection between nerd, and the level of heat of the sauce.

...of course, if you want it to fly off the shelves, you'll call it Pammy's Hot Sauce...:cool:

Hot Canuck said:
Using nerd in the name implies a mild hot sauce.

nuh uh!

Nerds are *so* hot!

If it really is hot, I'd try something like Blazing Nerd Hot Sauce.

It's hot, but not painfully so. I kept thinking "this is too hot" and waiting for the pain to kick in, but it was just this really mouth filling heat.

Or...if you trying to using nerd to refer to the maker of the sauce, as opposed to the sauce, then how about Nerdman's Hot Sauce, or Bent Nerd's Hot Sauce. This removes the connection between nerd, and the level of heat of the sauce.

Revenge of the Nerd, or was that a movie?

...of course, if you want it to fly off the shelves, you'll call it Pammy's Hot Sauce...:cool:

*wince*

Don't make me come over there and slap you.

Just noodling, but maybe, instead of Alpha Nerd, if you went for an evil genius persona, you could go the super villain route for naming your sauces.

Must go check a thermometer, more noodling as it happens.

Prolly should issue a bad pun alert.

Ok, across the top of the label: Bent Aplha Nerd's

then "Nerd Pain" in big letters, and behind the name a picture of a nerdy guy red-faced and sweating with some flames around his mouth saying "That smarts!"

Yeah, ok, but you know, nerds would get it.

Hot Canuck said:
Using nerd in the name implies a mild hot sauce. If it really is hot, I'd try something like Blazing Nerd Hot Sauce.

How about Nerd's Pain Hot Sauce - It is hot, just not in a normal hot sauce way.

Hot Canuck said:

'Pammy' already has a jar of it & yes, that would be Pammy's Hot Sauce.....:P

Pam said:
Just noodling, but maybe, instead of Alpha Nerd, if you went for an evil genius persona, you could go the super villain route for naming your sauces.

Evil genius....MMmmmWwwaaHaHaHaaahhaaaa. I like it :) What are you thinking? Evil Nerd

Pam said:
Prolly should issue a bad pun alert.

Ok, across the top of the label: Bent Aplha Nerd's

then "Nerd Pain" in big letters, and behind the name a picture of a nerdy guy red-faced and sweating with some flames around his mouth saying "That smarts!"

*Ouch* now thats painful. How about behind the name a picture of an evil nerd with flames reflecting in his thick lensed nerd glasses?

Pam said:
nuh uh!

Nerds are *so* hot!

Cant argue with facts like that. :cool:

I'm still leaning towards 'nerd pain' in lower case, slightly detracted letters. After all it lures you in...it's is a full minute or more after you finish eating it that the heat really hits :hell:

I got one of my co-workers, Warren, to try Nerd Pain today. I put a dab on some sliced roast beef, and he popped it in his mouth. He chewed, then he said "Damn!", chewed some more, and said "Damn!" again.

Then he looked over my shoulder and pointed at the break room aquarium and said 'Hey, do we have more baby fish?" I glanced over my shoulder, then turned back just in time to see Warren walking quickly out of the break room with the Nerd Pain stored in his lab coat pocket.

How about "The Noxious Nerd" and then under it "PAIN" and then a thermometer that has "pain" at the bottom, "intense pain" in the middle and "searing pain" at the top. If it is really hot then the top of the thermometer is blown off.

Hehe - great story Pam :) I have one jar left here that I've been keeping to comparison taste the new batch against. I noticed yesterday it's been diminishing. I think my house mate is hooked. Will have to have words about it :lol:

elousv said:
How about "The Noxious Nerd" and then under it "PAIN" and then a thermometer that has "pain" at the bottom, "intense pain" in the middle and "searing pain" at the top. If it is really hot then the top of the thermometer is blown off.

While it is very hot, it's not a burning heat. Its a bit like eating a well made Asian curry. Very tasty, lots of aroma, the more you eat the more you sweat. :onfire:

Pam said:
I got one of my co-workers, Warren, to try Nerd Pain today. I put a dab on some sliced roast beef, and he popped it in his mouth. He chewed, then he said "Damn!", chewed some more, and said "Damn!" again.

Then he looked over my shoulder and pointed at the break room aquarium and said 'Hey, do we have more baby fish?" I glanced over my shoulder, then turned back just in time to see Warren walking quickly out of the break room with the Nerd Pain stored in his lab coat pocket.

It just occured to me that Warren does give two damns about my sauce :lol: :onfire:

Ok, got Loretta and Eula to try it today.

Eula after cautiously sniffing the drops she put on her potato salad, said that it smelled really good, and it must have garlic in it. Then she tasted it and said that it was perfectly spicy, her mouth was glowing but it didn't make her nose run or her eyes water, and she liked that. Eula gave it a thumbs up.

Loretta tried it, and said, yeah, it was nice. She sat there for a minute, and then she asked where she could get a bottle. I told her "Australia" and she said "Damn, you mean now I have to go back to Texas Pete?"

Warren had another go at it, too. He splashed a big dollop on a piece of roast beef deli meat, rolled it up and ate it. Then he started asking me detailed questions about how it was made, and how much of what went in it. He ran his hand across the back of his bald head and said "Look, it's giving me a nice sweat. You can always tell a good hot sauce by the sweat."

Thanks so much for checking it out Pam, results sound encouraging like I've been hearing here.
I've spent the last few days cruising Asian supermarkets trying to find what I thought were common ingredients. I found enough of what I need, but in small quantity packages, not bulk.
The end result may be 10 to 12 $US per bottle including postage. Is that out of reach or should I keep hunting for cheaper ingredients.

Oh...and who's up for doing some artwork?

Back