• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling A Smokin' Pepper Pickin' & Picklin Weekend

This weekend I knew I'd be spending a lot of time picking peppers for canning and pickling....so I decided to load up the smoker with a nice piece of beef and a ham....(seasoned with a BamsBBQ recipe dry rub) then went about my business of "Pickin' & Picklin'".
IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

I cooked the flank steak around 4.5 hours....
....and the 14-lb. ham for 9 hours.
IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

The beef was excellent...nice smoke ring and fall apart tender.
And the ham was like no smoked ham I'd tasted before. Very tender and juicy, and with a deep smoked flavor. I've been served what is advertised as smoked ham all my life...now I've actually tasted a real one.
Man...how I love my smoker!

try a lamb roast next, you won't be disappointed - even if you don't like lamb, it takes on a whole new meaning in the smoker. another of my favourites was garlic stuffed quail.

Oh my those look so good! Delish as Rachel Ray would say!
What kind of smoker are you using?

And Garlic stuffed Quail sound very good as well.

Looks great, make sure ya save the ham bone for some beans... I like all kinds but grandma would cook down small white taters with the bone water salt pepper, and onions/garlic, pull a few taters out mash um to thicken the gravy and then just a lil more than blanch... some fresh green beans. I don't care for them over cooked, but do whatever ya like. man that's goot now.

looking good on the meats CM!

Was there some mustard on the ham? the flat-side pic has a little yellow tinge, but it could be just the monitor or camera.

looking good on the meats CM!

Was there some mustard on the ham? the flat-side pic has a little yellow tinge, but it could be just the monitor or camera.
What a keen eye for detail you have there salsalady.
Yes indeed that is mustard...I applied a healthy dose of mustard(along with some dry rub)on that exposed portion of the ham to help protect it from drying out during the long/slow cooking process.
It worked to perfection too....not bragging at all....but that is probably the best tasting ham I can remember eating.

Wow that beef looks great. Last time I had my smoker running I was smoking so many peppers I didn't have room for any meat :(

Luckily I'll be judging a KCBS event tomorrow!

With the evening temps in the mid 30's last Saturday and needing harvest what I could....I enjoyed yet another fun filled "Pickin' & Smokin'" Weekend.
So after picking...weighing...and recording....
DSCF1338.jpg

...the days harvest spent around 6 hours in the dehydrator.
DSCF1340.jpg

Meanwhile... a smorgasbord of Scottish Eggs,Tri Tip and Baby Back Ribs got 5-1/2 hours of Smokin' time (at 225-250 degrees)
DSCF1346.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

After removing the meats...the partially dried pods went into the smoker to spend some quality time with few chunks of mesquite...
DSCF1345.jpg

....while I did some taste testing (followed by some nap time in the recliner)....
DSCF1361.jpg

and after I escaped the clutches of my recliner some time later.... the smoked pods were ready to get bagged up.
DSCF1350.jpg

DSCF1351.jpg

Whoa! WAIT a second! Scottish Eggs? Help a Northerner out - is that a hard boiled egg wrapped in sausage wrapped in bacon? because that bowl of deliciousness is giving me the come hither look! and a big rice smile

Hey CM,

Just a couple things:

- Any houses for sale close by? ...like NEXT DOOR? ...or, across the street would be OK. :lol:

- who are these guys exactly, especially the two orange ones.

You sure know your way around a smoker. Looks awesome.

The small ones in the middle are called Monkey Nipples....I got the plant from The chile woman, they are very tasty little fire balls that are one of my favorites this season. They dry into little gems just right for popping in your mouth while eating a sandwich or snack.I'll be growing several of them next season.
The others are Chinese lantern...also from The Chile Woman...and I absolutely love them. Perfect heat for me...good both fresh and dried....and produce like rabbits.
The others are Ghost Peppers,Aji Limon,Thai Mound,Chocolate Habs, and Mongolian.

I finally broke down this year and let the missus buy me a smoker from Lowe's for Fathers day.(Master Forge)
Never had one before....and now I really regret not buying one long before now....I'm addicted.
After I learned about Scottish eggs....how to smoke pork butt and my fresh peppers...I started looking for a reason to crank up the smoker every weekend....and pretty much do so.
I appreciate the compliment DR!

Yeah I hear you when you say "smoking is addictive" now I know why the FDA is so against it. Man I light up and smoke every chance I get!!

Back