• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

A somewhat odd question concerning data

So from time to time I run across computers/hard drives at the local thrift, I am usually able to pull the old data off the drives. I run across music, financial info, personal photos, etc. In many cases there is contact information linking to the original owner. Would it be appropriate to send the data back to original owner or just delete? I am assuming they would want the family pictures back etc. I am treating it like a lost and found type of thing.  

Voodoo 6 said:
So from time to time I run across computers/hard drives at the local thrift, I am usually able to pull the old data off the drives. I run across music, financial info, personal photos, etc. In many cases there is contact information linking to the original owner. Would it be appropriate to send the data back to original owner or just delete? I am assuming they would want the family pictures back etc. I am treating it like a lost and found type of thing.  
I would just assume they already backed it up to a thumb drive or something and delete it.

Back