• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

A Tale of 3 Chicago.....Dogs

I'm not sure how many of you are from the Chicago area, ...or have ever tried one or have heard of the "Chicago Style Hot Dog?". I 've spent all my Hot  Doggone years here in Chicago......and have eaten many varieties of hot dogs through the years. Most are still respectable...

Here's the "Motha of All"...hot dog meat grinding companies....well, at least here in chi-town. Vienna Hot Dogs originated in 1893. Through the years the company has marketed its way into the resturants, sports venues and the homes of the Chicagoland area. The popular yellow and red colors in the advertising have attracted many, ...of hot dog lovers.
The company also producers the "Red Hot Chicago".....which was acquired in 1986...owned previously by a past employee. Also swept up in 1992 was "David Berg"..(one of my favorites). The Berg was sold at one sportsvenue while the other had the Vienna. I'm sure it made more (cents)..and dollars to acquire the other leading competitors.
Are Vienna Hot Dogs the best........in my opinion, one of the best.

Actually what comes out of Vienna thats really good is there Corned Beef and Pastrami.

Here's Vienna and a couple of other favorites of mine. The Daisy brand dog is another good one. This is another natural cased dog that has a great snap ! These cook up well either steamed or simmered. Grilling them will make them split, the casing is thinner than most. We will ocassionally fill a nesco roaster with about 60 of these at the bar.
The dogs will get simmered in a moderate amount of water. They'll stay hot all the way through the football game.. No waiting til halftime for the food spread. Just grab 1,2 or as many as you'd like....lol
The other package is an all natural beef dog from Open Nature. If there was such a thing as a "ThrowBack" dog from the past this would be it. We don't eat alot of dogs in my house, but this one is the families favorite. Juicy, beefy and lower in sodium than the rest. Very tasty, these can stand up to the grill or the flat top.

Not only has Vienna captured the dog poundage....ha, but has also succeeded in producing its own line of  Dill Pickle Spears, Neon Relish , Celery Salt, (the must on the dog)...Sport Peppers and what I wasn't awhere of, their own line of buns..........now the hot dog buns are another situation. Rosens "MaryAnn" products have cornered the bun market everywhere from the steam carts through the sit down resturants. About 85% of the venders use their products. This company claimed stardom yrs back, and I agree with "Gilligan"......."MaryAnn's" buns are the best !..... :lol:
Besides, these buns are made with a high gluten flour, which helps standup to all the wet toppings.

Ok here she is, Dog #1. The Chicago Style Hot Dog..... A steamed MaryAnn's Poppy Seed bun with a steamed Vienna Dog....topped with Ploachman's Yellow Mustard, chopped Onions, Neon Pickle Relish, sliced Tomato, a Dill Pickle Spear, 3 Sport Peppers and a shake of Celery Salt. If you're lucky you'll get fresh cut French Fries.......so this is the standard.

Most dog stands use the #8 (8 per lb) franks, weiners, tubes....dogs..whatever you go by. The consumer can buy 4's, 6, 8 and 10's in a package or 10 lb vact. 
There are a few but not many places that advertise the "Garden Dog"...with the addition of whats already on the Chicago Style you'll also get shredded lettuce, cucumbers, possibly red cabage and maybe grilled onions.........the problem with those sandwiches are, ..... the #10 size dogs being used..........where's the beef !

The 2nd hot dog is a spinoff of another popular place "Gold Coast Hot Dogs". This resturant has satelited into other locations. As with the pizza parlors, nothin beats the original location. GCHD's claim to fame is there Char- Cheddar Dogs. Now I see some of you don't like to split the natural case dogs. This is the only time I'll do that. When grilling and topping off with a cheesy sauce. The cut part of the dogs grill up nicely and the exposed area's pick up the flav off the wood...if you're using.....By the way...forgot to mention, this is yet another all beef dog made here by a company called "Bobaks".....which also makes all kinds of smoked sausages...

Here's my take on the Char-Cheddar with a twist...a spiral twist that is... :lol:  I grilled the spiral cut dogs, topped it off with, not melted Cheddar but Queso that I also added some Aji Amarillo powder to. On top of that I added some Bison Chili....(Ha, I think I had all burners on the stove running.). Topped that off with more Queso and some pickled Jalapeno's and sliced Red Habaneros. I mandaline cut some Yukon Gold Potatoes, deep fried them up and sprinkled Salt, Maple, and De Arbol powders. Washed it all down with a local brew 312 (that's the local area code)

The 3rd dog will be a special one.  Home made buns topped with Black and White Sesame Seeds and flaked Salt, Wasabi, Sriracha Mayo, Hot Japanense Mustard, ( I like to give a shout out to Rick ( stickman ) for giving me the idea on making some "Kimchi",...shredded Nori, Sweet Potato, Taro Root, Yucca, and Yukon Gold Potato

Here's the "Pit Bull"of all dogs...."The Asian-Fusion Dog".......with some Korean, Thai and Japanese influence.
A pan seared ft long Thai Basil and Pickled Red Chili...Chicken dog. served in a soft homemade hot dog roll, topped with  Kimchi, shredded Nori, Wasabi, Sriracha Mayo, Hot Japanese Mustard, pickled Thai Chili's....sided with Root Vegetable madaline cut fried Chips................and washed down with a Korean Soju (19%)

Next time you're in town or passing through the airports...grab a bite with a Chicago Dog....

Rawkstah said:
Used to go to Jim's after a night of being out. I lived not too far from there for a couple years. Do Gene n' Judes! 

I started a thread about spicy stuff Chicago, if you've got any suggestions or input on restaurants to try or places to buy stuff, I'd love to hear it! 

I'll do the Gene n' Judes dog soon........might have to head out there and do a "snap and rap" with the owner.

I'll have to check out the Chicago thread and input a few idea's....

thanks.

Bobaks is an EXCELLENT Chicago brand sausage.  

For Chicago dogs I prefer Byrons - two locations (one Irving Park east of Clark and on Lawrence west of Ashland).

This is a great topic! I was born in Chicago and moved to Texas at a young age but did have the pleasure of eating plenty of hotdogs when going back to spend summers with family.  A couple years ago while taking a detour, I drove past an unfamiliar hotdog stand that had a Vienna logo sign in the window and almost wrecked looking twice in disbelief. I go there regularly now to get my hotdog fix but its without the Mary Ann bun and all the great toppings like a real Chicago dog. Thanks for sharing Chicago history and some great pics.

Yee-haw on your take on Jim's Polish dogs! Bone-in porkchop sandwiches... really? They must laugh like h*** when the touristas buy them. Keep up the good work Greg. :)

Back