food A Tale of Three Sandwiches, a Green Chile Sauce, and a Bear

100_8189.jpg

Yesterday I picked up a pack of Amorosa rolls which have achieved fame as being "the roll" of Philadelphia cheesesteaks. Instead of making cheesesteaks with them however, I have decided to use some leftovers and create some magical sandwiches.

The first sandwich is kind of a club sandwich with bacon, turkey, ham, American cheese, pickled jalapenos, pickled habaneros, and hot banana peppers.

100_8168.jpg

100_8170.jpg

Next, I made a blackened chicken sandwich with sauteed onions, peppers, SalsaLady's bbq sauce, and Monterey Jack cheese.

100_8173.jpg

That was awesome! The taste combination of the blackened chicken with SL sauce was amazing.

That was all for yesterday.

This morning I was feeling a little more industrious. I decided it was time for a new sauce. I will just call it JayT's Green Chile Sauce. Here are the pic:

100_8176.jpg

100_8178.jpg

100_8179.jpg

100_8183.jpg

Ingredients include: green bell, cascabel, jalapeno, serrano, habanero, onion, garlic, cilantro, ginger, lime juice, rice wine vingar, white vinegar, raw sugar.

Next I thought, what else can I bring to this party? A bear of course! Or more specifically, a bear tenderloin which I am going to roast for 8-9 hours and serve with carrots and potatoes. It was marinated in a Asian marinade that I made up with sesame oil, sriracha, fish sauce, lime juice, soy sauce, cilantro, and garlic. I dried it off, coated it with Adobo seasoning, boiled the marinade and put it all in the slow cooker.

100_8177.jpg

100_8188.jpg

Final pics of bear to come later.

Ok, now I named this thread A Tale of Three Sandwiches, a Green Chile Sauce, and a Bear right? So where is the third sandwich? I have to tell you this is one of the best sandwiches I have ever had in my life. Here it is in detail:

First off, the chicken breast was marinated overnight in Mojo (which is a citrus, pepper, garlic marinade), then cooked partially in a skillet on the stove before being finished in the oven.

100_8184.jpg

After the chicken rests for a few minutes it it time to slice it thin. God, if you could only smell this!

100_8190.jpg

Beginning to assemble, first the chicken, then the green chile sauce I made earlier.

100_8191.jpg

Next, the sauteed onions and red bell from yesterday

100_8192.jpg

Monterey Jack cheese and into the oven for a toasting. Also, a little more green chile sauce on top.

100_8193.jpg

100_8194.jpg

Holy Haysoos on a moped this stuff is fantastic. Whooooo.... I need a beer. Thank you for your support.

Where's the food safety patrol to tell you about trichinosis? :rofl:

Looks good Jay!

What does bear tatse like?

Food safety alert!!! Trichinosis detected! Status:ORANGEY RED!!! Should be fine as long as it's not bear sushi. :)

Awesome job on the sammies!

So far the bear has cooked for nine hours and then taken to my flash freezer for a cooldown. Tomorrow morning I am going to reheat and add the carrots and potatoes and cook for another few hours. Bear has a bit of a gamey taste, but with the Asian marinade, the taste I got was pretty good. Eating a fourth sandwich of the chicken right now! Woot!

JT - great looking sandwiches, the sauce looks & sounds great! did you tag a bear or was it your dad that bear hunts ?

Where's the food safety patrol to tell you about trichinosis? :rofl:

its not much different than other diseases from eating domesticated livestock. raw meat is raw meat no matter what the animal is, just a different name for what illness you can get from them.

Thanks CH, the bear came from another guy from our camp. He gave me this piece of tenderloin. It was 400lbs! (The bear that is)

Thanks Wheebz. Consider that jar a going away present. I hope you have a good and safe trip my friend.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to post the end results of the bear. I chopped it and made bbq out of it. Another sammy, this one with fatalii sauce, bbq sauce and American cheese.

100_8195.jpg

100_8196.jpg

100_8197.jpg

Back