• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A Thai Chili Farm

My wife and I stopped at a pepper farm and talked to the owner about soil and growing Capsicum in general. The farm was about 1 acre in size, possibly slightly more.
For fertilizer she (the owner) uses a 25-8-8 which surprised the heck out of me. I asked her if she uses any cow manure she said no, because it was too slow to start working.
The soil didn't look much different than mine (at our house) and she said she didn't add anything more than fertilizer. While she and my wife chatted I walked around and inspected some plants. There was a white fungus/mold on the underside of some of the leaves. Some of the plants didn't look too well with leaf spotting and some minor curl, but not much of that; far less than on my plant. She waters twice a day.
She did say something interesting; she said this years crop wasn't nearly as good as last years because of the ongoing heat wave (50 days of 37c - 39c). This confirmed for me that excessive heat does make a difference in overall plant health.
This farm is producing no less than 5 different varieties (Thai bird, prik haum, prik kee nu (large and small) and prik haum (hill tribe variety) and another hill tribe variety called prik kareung (Karen from Burma), all mixed in together and nothing is done to stop cross pollination. On this farm the varieties were side by side and in some cases intermingled. My wife was given a handful of the prik haum, but growing the seeds won't produce a true cultivar; nuts!
I didn't learn as much as I was hoping, especially about soil, but it was an interesting visit.
Here's some pictures;

The field in front of the house;
ChiliFarm-2.jpg

The larger field to the left of the house;
ChiliFarm-1.jpg

The same field from a different angle;
ChiliFarm.jpg

It's the real thing; hope you enjoy.

Exavier said:
Nice pixs, Have you seen any other chili farms in Thailand ?

Thanks, many. This farm is about 3k from our house. There are some huge farms on the road to Damnoen Saduak (floating market) but that's about 20k from our house. Ratchaburi is a major producer of chilies.

Good pics.But this does not happen in India.

Generally a farm produces only one variety of peppers at a time because of fears of cross pollination.

This is why my open pollinated seeds from India keep on producing true varaities for last 4 years now.

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
Good pics.But this does not happen in India.

Generally a farm produces only one variety of peppers at a time because of fears of cross pollination.

This is why my open pollinated seeds from India keep on producing true varaities for last 4 years now.

Thanks. There have to be some farms producing only one cultivar or the different varieties would disappear into a mishmash of non-identifiable Capsicum Generalicae. My next mission is to find a seed source for Thai chilis.
The normal Thai red (prik kee nu) chili sells for about 20 baht ($.60/kilo USD) from the grower. The prik haum (a hill tribe variety) sells for 130 baht/kilo (about $4 USD). A farmer wouldn't want that one to disappear. I'm pretty sure that's for dried fruit.

Hey friend,

This "The prik haum (a hill tribe variety) sounds very interesting.
Can you describe its heat and other physical and other property?
I am highly interested in Unknown peppers.
TIA

nja

Yes, I will, in about one day. My wife is drying them so the heat I don't know yet. They're aromatic (haum is the Thai word for good smell) and wrinkled and red. They remind me of a miniature Bhut Jolokia in appearance. I plan on getting into a few of them tomorrow. I'll let you know.
Where's Southfield; England?

Nice pictures and info. The seed isolation probably isn't that big a deal. I've grown out my own saved non-isolated seed and haven't had a cross yet. Farmers there with multiple varieties probably only get a few rare crosses that they could keep or toss w/o hurting their production much. I love Thai chilies but never heard of the Prik Haum. Sounds like one I'd like to grow along with the Prik Ghaliang and Prik Dae Luang I'm looking for.

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
Hey friend,

This "The prik haum (a hill tribe variety) sounds very interesting.
Can you describe its heat and other physical and other property?
I am highly interested in Unknown peppers.
TIA

nja

NJA, here's a picture of the Prik Haum after drying;

PrikHaum.jpg

The tooth pick should give you an idea of the size.
I ate one this morning and would describe the heat as up there with the spicier Thai chilies. It has got more flavor than most Thai chilies I've tried. I wish I'd have tried a fresh one though, to see the difference. I'll have to try and get some more. I'm going to check on seeds as well. Cheers

Back