A tv cook is wrong I think?

Ok I'm watching a tc chef and she said that Olive iol is not a heating oil for searing meat, Some reason I want to think shes dead wrong though.

Is she right?

They are probably saying that because olive oil has a low smoking point -meaning it will burn at a lower temp- so they usually recommend canola, peanut, or even vegetable oil for cooking at higher temperatures.

Hey Derek, you're the one that wanted to cut back on the smoke right? Then yes, don't use olive, try grape seed oil! It has the highest smoking point.

Olive oil isn't good for searing meat, since searing = high temps. Extra virgin olive oil will burn faster than light olive oil. I still use olive oil for sauteeing veggies and stuff over medium low heat. I prefer to use light olive oil if i'm doing this since it's cheaper than the good stuff.

High temps like stir frying I bust out the peanut or cottonseed oil.

Canola is my general purpose high temp oil though.

If you want the lightness of olive oil but the versatility of searing, try a pomace olive oil. It is a blend of virgin olive oil and canola oil to raise the smoke point. Its what a majority of better restaurants will use when cooking.

But when all else fails, peanut for flavor and fat, or veggie for the basics(i just do not not the lack of flavor with veggie)

Hey guys, What happens if I put a teaspoon of jack in my peanut oil?

will the taste of jack smoke into the meat during the searing process?

Hey on a site I'm reading about smoke points and oils, They say this about peanut oil

Peanut oil
Noticeable flavor, high smoke point. Often used in salad dressings.

But you guys say it has a low smoke point what gives?

You're confused. High smoke point means it doesn't start to smoke until it reaches a high temp.

thehotpepper.com said:
You're confused. High smoke point means it doesn't start to smoke until it reaches a high temp.
I am VERY confused and I need help!

Ok you said high smoke means it doesn't start until it reaches high temp right?

So can you clarify this for me so I don't choose the wrong oil and set off the alarm again because there was too much smoke from searing my meat?

You want a high smoke point for searing. I suggested grape seed oil (highest smoke point) others suggested peanut.

thehotpepper.com said:
You want a high smoke point for searing. I suggested grape seed oil (highest smoke point) others suggested peanut.
Ok and I shouldn't have a lot of smoke with peanut oil?

Unless I want it if I grill outdoors?

Peanut is a good choice for the high temps. I think this question has been answered 33 times now ;)

thehotpepper.com said:
Peanut is a good choice for the high temps. I think this question has been answered 33 times now ;)
I think your Thehotpepper, I'm just making EXTRA SURE I'm only going to be searing the meat and not setting off the smoke alarm,

Ok you can lock this thread now if you wish bro.

I was just teasing you. I'll leave it open in case you have more questions.

Back