A website and online store with email

Hi all!  So I'm working to create a retirement business for myself and have been getting tons of really good information on here THANK YOU !!!  I used the search function and found out a lot of good information.

What I'm considering is using GoDaddy to handle everything that I need to have such as a domain, website, company email, online store etc.  Is this an easy one stop shop for my needs?  I have read I can use Google & Shopify and some other sites.  Since this will be new to me I kind of want to go the easiest way.  Not because I'm lazy but because I only have so many hours in a day. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again!

Jabski

One other place is DreamHost. They have everything you need to do stuff online (getting a domain, setting things up, etc). I've used them since 2004, and couldn't be happier. In fact, they have things like WordPress, zenCart, and other things you can put on there, and they do the heavy lifting in terms of installing it for you. All you have to do is tell them were to put it and what username/password you want, and they'll do it. After that, you can set it up however you like, and add plugins like WooCommerce to WordPress (which I use), and so on. And their prices are very reasonable.

Jabski said:
 I used the search function and found out a lot of good information.

That might be a first!
:D

Ps - I use shopify

You can create a very effective feature rich storefront without having to know how to code.

If you want more robust features you can always hire a webdev for a few hours of work to add a little pizzazz to it.

I've also heard good things about Wix

GoDaddy is terrible unless you spend a ton of money. I canceled my account after failing to resolve issues where it took over 45 seconds for pages to load. Long story short...they overload servers with shared accounts. 

There are many routes to go and it depends on how much you want to control.

If you are the controlling type, find a good host and register a domain. You can use something like opencart for a store but there really is so much you need to know.

There is a lot to consider here.  Are you technical?  Do you plan to build this yourself?  The first thing I would do is decide what platform you want; Word Press, Joomla, Shopify, etc.  Check out the templates and shopping carts and see what you like.  If you go w/ Shopify or Big Commerec you will be paying a monthly fee (probably about $30-40) but if you go w/ WordPress or Joomla they are free and you pay for individual components such as web hosting, SSL certs, shopping cart, templates, etc.  In the long run that will be cheaper but may require more expertise. 

I started w/ GoDaddy and moved to HostGator because all the research indicated the HostGator customer service and support for Joomla was top notch.  Looking back, my GoDaddy site was much faster than my HostGator and the HostGator support absolutely sucks.  If you use GoDaddy's website builder tool then it's very limited.  If you go w/ WordPress or Joomla and find a good well-supported template, I think GoDaddy will work well.

PS: I am very happy w/ Joomla and the Joomla blogging component, K2, is very nice.  Joomla is a content management system.  You don't need to know how to code but it hels to know how to style web pages w/ CSS.  The hardest part about Joomla is wrapping you mind around how it works but once you it's pretty nice.

Wow I had the opposite result as you. GoDaddy was like turtle racing and HostGator was much faster. I have had top notch server at HostGator but I also have a business account, not sure what you have... 

I too use Joomla and an awesome template shop makes your site very professional. 

I have found these guys to be the best for me.

http://yootheme.com/

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Wow I had the opposite result as you. GoDaddy was like turtle racing and HostGator was much faster. I have had top notch server at HostGator but I also have a business account, not sure what you have... 

I too use Joomla and an awesome template shop makes your site very professional. 

I have found these guys to be the best for me.

http://yootheme.com/

When I create a web page the creation date is 6 hours ahead of my time, CST.  That puts my website on servers in London.  I call GoDaddy and I am talking to someone in 5 minutes.  I call HostGator and the wait is consistently 30-45 minutes, even when using the online chat tool.  I'm fed up w/ it but don't want to go through the hassle of moving again.

Yootheme has some great themes.  I spent way too much time looking at themes and finally went with Joomfx

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Weird, my pages are created in EST even though the server is in CST. Maybe the issue is your Joomla config. 

I don't know.  My Joomla timezone is set to CST.  I plan to put in a support ticket to HostGator but fortunately it's low priority and I can wait a day for a response.  I read this is a problem w/ Joomla not applying the local time.  I have a plugin that takes the latest news and automatically posts it to my Latest News feed.  I need to change the creation date of the page in order for the page to immediately show up in my feed.  Otherwise it won't show up until the next day.  A little research indicated Joomla is not setting the file stamp to the configured time zone.

You can't in good conscience use GoDaddy ... that prick does EVERYTHING wrong ...

Namecheap is a MUCH better option in that regard.

It sounds like all of you are rockin' the Windows stylee, so I'll just let you be ...

I'm more inclined to side w/ Gemini Crow Co ... Shopify is dope, and Ruby is a nice language for a lay-person to try to extend their product (and/or the kind of dev you are hiring when you do, is a Ruby dev, and that community is dogmatic about test-driven development - which is A Good Thing in terms of the interface between programmer and suit (you) for their use of BDD (behavior-driven dev)) ...

I'm going w/ Shopify for what's being mentioned here, so far ...

I'm not in favor of mixing WP w/ ecommerce personally ...

I may have something to share in the future in this regard, free ...

The Hot Pepper said:
^
I  remember when Namecheap was a one-man operation and you'd talk to Rich the CEO.

At least you have the opportunity to advertise your provider and use affiliate links to try to offset costs (helpful when you are trying to bootstrap something) ...

Plus, they often come down on the "user" side of topics of net neutrality and stuff, unlike some other d'bags ...
JoynersHotPeppers said:
My server is on NT 3.5.1

Doesn't matter, there's a Meterpreter payload for everything, anyways ...

The Hot Pepper said:
I don't understand half of Grant's tech or gadget talk I just roll with it lol but yeah glad you find this site useful.

There's usually a good point ...

The folks who Google a little, learn something ...

If you don't know what Meterpreter is, it's a great start just to know that Metasploit exists.

If you are taking people's info (and you shouldn't be with all the API's out there these days), you damn well better secure it or you won't be in business long in the new world ...

Back