• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

A weekend at an exotic fruit orchard

I was at my relative's orchard during the weekend, just toiling , harvesting and fertilizing the ground.
I kinda wished i have a farm/orchard or something, i just love the life there.

Anyways, loaded my truck with these exotic fruits and headed home.
These are everyone's favourites here in Malaysia

sWJCj8mt.jpeg

From left to right: Langsat (Lansium domesticum, i think), Mangosteen, Durians
Ix4ii8EM.jpeg

Bag of langsat
xCXoZqq8.jpeg

Mangosteens
hHcZkTIO.jpeg

Durians

Surely you've heard of the dorian, it's supposed to smell like cheese rotting in an animal's a$$ and taste about the same. I guess I should pop down to Chinatown and finally try one.

thehotpepper.com said:
Surely you've heard of the dorian, it's supposed to smell like cheese rotting in an animal's a$$ and taste about the same. I guess I should pop down to Chinatown and finally try one.

Mmmmmm, sounds gooooooooood.

NOT!

As for those Mangosteens i am pretty sure some army won a battle using nothing but those for ammo....

Hmmm.....smell like cheese rotting in an animal's a$$ huh?:shocked: Appetizing. :rolleyes: To each there own I guess. Kinda reminds me of guyabana (soursop) a little. Quite popular in Colombia. Before I went there for the first time the only way I had had it was mixed up in milk with a bit of sugar. It was tasty. Now when I went to Colombia, my wife's sister bought me a fruit salad with it in it. I looks like and has the texture of snot and tasted horrible. Guess it all depends on how you eat it.

jacob

LOL, seriously those 3 fruits are great. I love 'em!

But a word of caution for durian, not all taste good. You have to carefully select the fruits, as unripe or lower quality fruits taste bitter and pungent. But anyways, it is an acquired taste :D

Mangosteen's skin are rough, but the fruit inside are tender and juicy. This one IM SURE you'll love :)

Langsat's fruits are kinda like pomelo but with large pulps, taste sweet and sour.

I wonder if i could sprout a few seeds, hmm?

Oh yeah, i have some pinepple , passion fruits and butter heard from the garden as well, just thought i'd show you guys the exotics first hahaha. Dayum, i love your reactions!

jjs7741 said:
Hmmm.....smell like cheese rotting in an animal's a$$ huh?:shocked: Appetizing. :rolleyes: To each there own I guess. Kinda reminds me of guyabana (soursop) a little. Quite popular in Colombia. Before I went there for the first time the only way I had had it was mixed up in milk with a bit of sugar. It was tasty. Now when I went to Colombia, my wife's sister bought me a fruit salad with it in it. I looks like and has the texture of snot and tasted horrible. Guess it all depends on how you eat it.

jacob

It taste abit like guyabana but more pungent, sweeter and the meat is dry. Try it! But you have to get it from a reputable source. Low quality fruits really taste awful.

thehotpepper.com said:
it's supposed to smell like cheese rotting in an animal's a$$ and taste about the same.

That's a very polite understatement THP, these have to be the most foul smelling thing I have ever encountered. If you do try one DO NOT cut it open in your house.

kiddc said:
But a word of caution for durian, not all taste good. You have to carefully select the fruits, as unripe or lower quality fruits taste bitter and pungent. But anyways, it is an acquired taste :D

I bought one from my local supermarket, just wanted to see what these "stinkfruit" are really like. Apparently they need to be eaten fairly quickly after picking so they were imported frozen. I have to say I didn't enjoy the taste, it was like eating raw onions. If I ever have a chance to try one fresh I'd certainly give it another go but never again from a supermarket. Glad you enjoyed yours.

SeeYouJimmy said:
I bought one from my local supermarket, just wanted to see what these "stinkfruit" are really like. Apparently they need to be eaten fairly quickly after picking so they were imported frozen. I have to say I didn't enjoy the taste, it was like eating raw onions. If I ever have a chance to try one fresh I'd certainly give it another go but never again from a supermarket. Glad you enjoyed yours.

If you ever come down to Malaysia, i'd treat to a nice fresh durian. I assure you that the smell wont matter anymore haha.
Its like the apples and peaches from the US will definitely taste better than the ones that is being imported/grown here :)

I'd read at the time that there are many varieties of durian and that they have to be picked at just the right time, which is why I think that my bad tasting one isn't the norm. If I ever take a trip to a growing region I'd be all up for trying it again. I don't think they can even be grown in tropical areas of Queensland and I won't be eating another imported one. They do say.... tastes like heaven, smells like hell.

Back