• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

AACT and De-chlorinating

Hey all.  Just tryin to get into my first Compost Tea.  To avoid the 24 hour de-chlorination wait, would it be acceptable to use the de-chlorinating drops that I've used to de-chlorinate Aquarium water?

I'm guessing No coz it's some sort of chemical.   Just thought I'd ask though.  TIA

Why not aerate plain water for a couple of hours and then aerate the tea?
That's what I do. We have Chloramine in our water and it does not gas off like Chlorine so I put 50 mg of Vitamin C crushed per gallon of water and aerate that for an hour to negate the chloramine.

Streamer said:
Well, wasn't quite sure.  I've had it bubblin for five or so hours so maybe now I'm good to go.
If all you have is chlorine and not high levels you should be good to go.
I am going to save a lot more rainwater this coming winter as it's priceless this time of year when you can water and make AACT without having to mess with the water.

Proud Marine Dad said:
If all you have is chlorine and not high levels you should be good to go.
I am going to save a lot more rainwater this coming winter as it's priceless this time of year when you can water and make AACT without having to mess with the water.
Yep, I'm lookin for a barrel myself.   I have the same ethic as Cayennemist though.  Wannit for CHEEEP..LOL

Dont under estimate tap water, it may be chlorinated, but it is loaded with Calcium, Ma, iron, and all kinds of other trace minerals... like fluoride :rofl:  

Streamer said:
Yep, I'm lookin for a barrel myself.   I have the same ethic as Cayennemist though.  Wannit for CHEEEP..LOL
You need several if you have very many plants.
I have already used 60 gallons and have one 30 gallon barrel left. :(
I just buy the 32 gallon plastic garbage cans at the store for about $20 but cheaper would be nice. ;)

ColdSmoke said:
So you have to modify your down spouts to aim in your rain barrel I assume?

Yes, you will more than likely have to modify it.  Here's a pic of my 50 gallon barrel setup (to give you an idea).

2014-06-05%2015.25.56.jpg

We don't get rain here in the summer like many of you do in other parts of the country so I need to store as much water as possible next season.
I am hoping to get a couple hundred gallons if possible.

We never miss the water 'til the well runs dry . . . (or gets inundated with toxic fracking fluids).

Barrels would be nice.  So far, I'm using ice chests (look for them on highway shoulders and medians) to collect rare rainwater in addition to using clean, near-new five-gallon buckets from a commercial car wash.  (Soap comes in the buckets; the buckets are otherwise discarded.)

swellcat said:
We never miss the water 'til the well runs dry . . . (or gets inundated with toxic fracking fluids).

Well said! We are having a drought this year so I wished I had a lot of water now for my plants.

Back