Acceptable night temp / more effective heating methods

Hi guys

This winter is my first winter grow in a greenhouse - prior to this I've grown peppers in a cupboard where it was much easier to maintain reasonable temperature.

Last few days we've had temperatures drop down to about 50F, my greenhouse thermostat is currently set to 62F and starts a 400W panelheater with a few fans which help distribute the air across the greenhouse (it's 6'x8'x6'). I log the temperature and can see the lowest that it dropped to was 55F. I also have a 400W HPS light that comes on at about 3am and I saw an increase in temperature about that time which went up to 60F, so the light definitely helps.

As you can see from the graph below (taken over the last month) the last few days the night temp started dropping significantly (temp in C, also ignore the reading of 0C a few nights ago - the sensor crapped out):
temp.png

The greenhouse has insulated floor and polycarb walls/roof with 4mm airgap. I have also closed off the vents I kept open in summer.

With the current power consumption I'm going through about 5-7kWH per day with the lighting and thermostat-controlled heater. (this includes the fans, aquaponics water and air pump, cooling fan etc) but 90% of all power is taken up by heating.

After doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere I reached a conclusion that if night temperatures reach low 40F then this will slow the plants down by as much as 20% (until fruiting, etc). If they are kept above 50F then the reduction in fruiting time is only about 10%. Does this sound right?

Also if anyone else is heating their greenhouse, what methods do you use - fan heaters are definitely much quicker to warm up the place but they do chew through quite a lot more power, especially if its a 2.4kW fan heater.

I've read about some people digging out floors in their greenhouses and filling it with compost - and having compost heat up the greenhouse, the dimensions of my greenhouse won't let me do that I don't think. I also thought of using gas, but it didn't seem more efficient. I don't have much spare space inside - otherwise I would've use full water barrels, painted them matte black and let them slowly release heat during the night - although I do have some space under the aquaponics bed which does get a bit of sun for a few hours a day.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am scratching my head just a tad - someone from NZ using fahrenheit instead of celsius???? Unheard of!!!!! LOL

So I'll return the favor, but first will say I don't bother with greenhouses or heating, as that would be way too expensive here. We've had days down to -31C here, and overall our winters are just too cold. Generally chile plants don't like sustained temps down below 10C. But note that's sustained - getting below 10C overnight is not usually a problem as long as it warms back up during the day. As far as fruiting is concerned, though, the plants aren't likely to put out new flowers or pods once it starts getting cool on a regular basis. You hit those below 10C nights and everything will slow down significantly. 

I'll let others address your other questions. 

I don't know the answer, but it is a topic I have been trying to get a handle on.  Currently, I grow indoors under lights and outdoors in mini green houses that take nothing to heat.  Building a walk in this year.  Would love to know where your graph came from.  Is your thermostat hooked into a computer?  Is the sensor separate from the thermostat?  Does a computer control the heating system?  Software?  Any help or hint would be greatly appreciated.  Would love to be able to monitor as well as you do.  Very impressive to a guy who throws space heaters into mini green houses on cold nights.

geeme said:
I am scratching my head just a tad - someone from NZ using fahrenheit instead of celsius???? Unheard of!!!!! LOL

So I'll return the favor, but first will say I don't bother with greenhouses or heating, as that would be way too expensive here. We've had days down to -31C here, and overall our winters are just too cold. Generally chile plants don't like sustained temps down below 10C. But note that's sustained - getting below 10C overnight is not usually a problem as long as it warms back up during the day. As far as fruiting is concerned, though, the plants aren't likely to put out new flowers or pods once it starts getting cool on a regular basis. You hit those below 10C nights and everything will slow down significantly. 

I'll let others address your other questions. 
Haha thanks geeme, I see that most people on this forum (well, majority anyway) are from the states so I converted my measurements in C to F, saves you guys doing it. I always measure in C though. And thanks for the advise - I'll definitely try to keep night temperatures above 10C then.
ajdrew said:
I don't know the answer, but it is a topic I have been trying to get a handle on.  Currently, I grow indoors under lights and outdoors in mini green houses that take nothing to heat.  Building a walk in this year.  Would love to know where your graph came from.  Is your thermostat hooked into a computer?  Is the sensor separate from the thermostat?  Does a computer control the heating system?  Software?  Any help or hint would be greatly appreciated.  Would love to be able to monitor as well as you do.  Very impressive to a guy who throws space heaters into mini green houses on cold nights.
The thermostat and the logging sensor are actually separate at the moment - the thermostat I'm using is an STC-1000 which is very cheap and very effective. It has it's limitations but for the price it's great.

The sensor I'm using is hooked up to an old laptop which I would've thrown away otherwise, its connceted to wifi and although the software that came with the USB sensor is very budget and a bit buggy - it allows me to log temperature at various intervals and is stored in a CSV file. The sensor I'm using I got off aliexpress, not from this supplier but this is the one I'm using: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PC-Computer-Sensor-USB-Thermometer-Temperature-Data-Logger-Recorder-40-to-125/32219377558.html The sensor software also allows you to setup alerts so I have a couple of alerts setup in case the temperature is too low or too high (in case of heater/cooler failure, etc). The heat alert I've also set to email my wife with directions to open the greenhouse window, since she's at home with the kids LOL. She's my last line of defence if the greenhouse gets too hot and I'm at work.

So the heater is on a thermostat and switches on every time the temperature dips under 17C, and I monitor the temperature separately - I usually just VPN into the laptop from the house or from work. . Being able to look at the temperature curve helps to work out what time I have the coldest time - and then I can set my light timer to come on then to help the heater warm up the place.

Ideally I'd want to run everything off a RaspberryPI - sensor, heater, cooler, etc, but I won't bother with that until I upgrade my greenhouse. In fact if I go to get a bigger greenhouse I'll probably sort out sensors/controllers first before even looking at greenhouses. 

Back