• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Acronym List

To help others identify commonly used acronyms in pepper names I started a list of ones I'm aware of.  Please post any others that you know of, or corrections.

Institutes
CAP ### - The German Research Centre for Biotechnology
CGN ### - The Centre for Genetic Resources, Netherlands
PI ### - Plant Introduction (Agricultural Research Service)

CARDI - Caribbean Agricultural Research & Development Institute
CPI - The Chile Pepper Institute
MOA - Ministry of Agriculture

Farms
CCN - Cross Country Nurseries
MAMP - Mojo Addicted Mutation Pepper (Mojo Pepper)
PL - PepperLover
RFC - Refining Fire Chiles
SLP - Semillas Las Palmas
TFM - Trenton Farmers Market
THSC - The Hippy Seed Company
WHP - White Hot Peppers

Individuals 
BT - Butch Taylor
CP - Christopher Philips
DM - Dave Minor
MA - Matthew Arthur
MFPJ## - MeatFreak ProJect
RSMC - Rick Statezny Michael Christensen
SM - Steve McClaurin
SR - Sara Ragoonanan
SR - Sara Rennie

Peppers
7JPN -  7 Pot Jonah x Pimenta De Neyde
BB9 - Bleeding Borg 9
BBG7/ BB7/ BBG - Bubblegum 7 Pot

BBM - Big Black Mama
BLS or LBS - Brown Large Scorpion
BMM - Big Mustard Mama
BOC - Bhut Orange Copenhagen
BS - Brain Strain
BTR - Butch T Reaper
BTS - Butch T Scorpion
CBBG7 - Chocolate Bubblegum 7 Pot
CBS - Chocolate Brain Strain

CPR - Chocolate Primo Reaper
CRS - Chocloate Reaper Scorpion
DGS - Dale's Ghost Scorpion
GKB - Genghis Khan Brain

JAFSH - Just Another F-ing Super Hot

JPGS - Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
JRGS - Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
KN - King Naga
PDN - Pimenta De Neyde

SB - Scotch Bonnet
SB7J - Scotch Bonnet x 7 Pot Jonah
SRTSL - Sara R Trinidad Scorpion Long
TS - Trinidad Scorpion
TSMB - Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend
UBSC - Unknown Brain Strain Cross
Y7P - Yellow 7 Pot

Generational Stability
F1 - Filial 1st generational descendant
F2 - Filial 2nd generational descendant
F3 - Filial 3rd generational descendant
F4 - Filial 4th generational descendant
F5 - Filial 5th generational descendant
... typically not tracked after F5 but this continues

Don't forget these
F stands for Filial which just means the generations after the original parents such as with a person like Jr., 3rd, 4th ect....

F1 - First generation after a cross Unstable (children of parent plants)
F2 - Second generation after a cross (Grand Ghildren of parent plants)
F3 - Third generation after a cross (Great Grand Children of parent plants)
F4 - Fourth Generation after a cross (Great Great Grand Children of parent plants)

And so on

Also here is a link that goes a little bit more indepth into the science of how it works.
http://www.thechileman.org/guide_crossing_peppers.php

Pepperhead1989 said:
Don't forget these
F stands for Filial which just means the generations after the original parents such as with a person like Jr., 3rd, 4th ect....

F4 - Fourth Generation after a cross (Great Great Grand Children of parent plants)

And so on

Also here is a link that goes a little bit more indepth into the science of how it works.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the F1 generation produces stable plants that are nearly identical. The seeds in the F1 will be unstable when growing out the F2 generation.

President Trump☺ said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the F1 generation produces stable plants that are nearly identical. The seeds in the F1 will be unstable when growing out the F2 generation.
Just doing this in general terms so people get the hint.

This is very welcome to a newbie like me; I've gradually been picking up on some of the acronyms and abbreviations but some still eluded me.  I assume you will update the first post as you get more suggestions?  Is there any chance you can put the abbreviations alphabetically within each section, to make it easier to find things as the lists get longer?

Pepperhead1989 said:
Don't forget these

And so on

Added - Thanks

Mitzi said:
This is very welcome to a newbie like me; I've gradually been picking up on some of the acronyms and abbreviations but some still eluded me.  I assume you will update the first post as you get more suggestions?  Is there any chance you can put the abbreviations alphabetically within each section, to make it easier to find things as the lists get longer?

Now in alphabetical order

Mitzi said:
Bofu said:
Now in alphabetical order
Thank-you, I was thinking the same thing.

In the same vein as bold/underlined above, can we ask, and hopefully answered, then added to the list?

as for updating the original post unfortunately you cannot do that anymore and after a few days it is locked permanently. You will have to re-post with the new updates into the thread.

Thanks so much for the alphabetical listing.  I've just used it "in anger" for the first time after seeing CPR on someone's wishlist.  Having worked in the medical field, CPR means cardiopulmonary resuscitation, which didn't really fit the context.  

Pepperhead1989 said:
as for updating the original post unfortunately you cannot do that anymore and after a few days it is locked permanently. You will have to re-post with the new updates into the thread.

That's a shame but I understand why it's done, from previous experience on other forums.

Pepperhead1989 said:

Hmm.. I didn't know that.  I wonder if there is a way around it, like an admin being able to unlock editing rights.

Mitzi said:
Thanks so much for the alphabetical listing.  I've just used it "in anger" for the first time after seeing CPR on someone's wishlist.  Having worked in the medical field, CPR means cardiopulmonary resuscitation, which didn't really fit the context.  

I haven't tried the CPR yet.  It sounds like it would taste good.  It's one of Butch T's latest creations from what I read in a thread here.  I heard its not as hot as his BTR, which is probably a good thing.  The BTR was the second hottest I've tried.  I couldn't be a video reviewer and keep it rated PG after eating that.

RobStar said:
If the parents were line bred and desirable traits fixed then yes the progeny are predictable. If two heterozygous parents are crossed then the progeny will be variable

So we have 

heterozygous - having dissimilar alleles at corresponding chromosomal loci
homozygote - an organism with identical pairs of genes with respect to any given pair of hereditary characters, and therefore breeding true for that character.

How does that influence the chart below I lifted from_Tomato Gene Basics. Thank-you in advance!

~
true20seed20gen_zpsgzrybnoh.jpg

Well, its all based on calculated probabilities.  So, let's say you take a F4 (with stable parents) and cross it with a F2 (with stable parents), the F2 descendant of the cross would be F4 ((87.5%*50%) + F2 (50%*50%)) / 2 = 34.375% homozygotes at F2 instead of 50%.  But, let's say you take your crossed F2 which is already less stable and cross it again with another F4 (with stable parents), that pepper's F2 descendant would be F4 ((87.5%*50%) + F2 (34.375%*50%)) /2 = 30.46875% homozygotes instead of 50%.  So, as you see the more you cross unstable varieties the more likely it is for different gene expressions from its parental RNA to become dominant in its DNA.

Also, in the first cross example where 34.375% is homozygotes it has a 15.625% chance in selecting the other grandparent gene, rather than one of the parents.  In the second cross example where 30.46875% is homozygotes it has a 15.625% chance in selecting the other grandparent gene and a 3.90625% chance of selecting the other great grandparent gene.  And that's for every chromosome selection, so with chances that high you are almost assured to get grandparent gene swapping.

Blitz527 said:
Types of peppers with "Nicknames"

What are some other popular nicknames or abreviations.

I know I am asking for a lot of info and I could google it but I dont trust google and I really want to see what everyone here says about it.
This thread needed a bump so i thought the above was addressed in it a good reason.

NECM

CAP are the ascension numbers of the German "Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research (IPK)".
I don't know the German Research Centre for Biotechnology and whether there are connetions to the IPK.
http://www.ipk-gatersleben.de

and there are some more:
CO ### should be Asian Vegetable Research And Development Centre in Taiwan
GRIF ### are the old number of the ARS/GRIN (like PI now)

Back