• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Actual hybridizing shown aka breeding of (Scarlett's Chili x Poblano f2) x Poblano or f2bc1

If we are looking at a simple dihybrid cross it would look like this in the next generation. However, we know that there are many more genes at work in a cross like this and some are not working in a mendelian fashion making the need to grow out many seedlings a must... if I am to make good selections. The more seedlings I can grow the better selections I can make.
dihybridphenotype.png

Last edited:
That. Poblano. Is. Stunning. 😲
Thank you, the idea here was to show the basics on how to hybridize aka
VSRPGold 2.jpeg
breed in video format while also showing a bit about the genetics of what is being attempted. The desired phenotype will retrieve 2 different recessives so this is technically a dihybrid cross which is why a dihybrid punnet square is shared here. The stay green gene and the variegated gene both being recessive.... so clearly shows that merely growing 16 plants is likely not going to give me what I want. I can't beat those facts to death enough... so many fail to grasp those basics and so many hybridizers are still relying on cross pollination rather than making hand pollinated planned crosses.

If we are looking at a simple dihybrid cross it would look like this in the next generation. However, we know that there are many more genes at work in a cross like this and some are not working in a mendelian fashion making the need to grow out many seedlings a must... if I am to make good selections. The more seedlings I can grow the better selections I can make.
dihybridphenotype.png
This is super helpful. I have my own breeding project in progress. I'm having a tough time determining which genes are dominant and which are recessive.

Back